British Speedway Forum

Coventry 2017

If it's someone new taking over at Coventry then it needs to be ratified by the bspa committee.

I live pretty close to the M69 junction and it would take me 30 minutes without traffic to get to Leicester. Now someone on the opposite side of the city you can add 20-30 mins to that.

So exactly what i have to do to watch Poole then!

I wonder if Poole fans suggesting that Coventry should run at Leicester would be quite happy if in the same situation others told them to go Somerset, Plymouth or Isle of Wight :unsure:

Bit different when Plymouth is 2 and half hours, probably same as Somerset. 30 mins is what I have to do to get to Poole. So I think it is the venue that is the problem not the distance.

If we had to share with Lakeside, I guess.

Bit of a difference in distance between Lakeside and poole and Coventry and Leicester..

Telling Coventry fans to go support Leicester if they don't come to the tapes is like telling King's Lynn fans to go to bloody Ipswich, NEVER ON YOUR NELLY!

Who said anything about Coventry fans supporting Leicester if they don't run ?

Edited by Starman2006

So exactly what i have to do to watch Poole then!

Yes but the core fans base would all have to do it, not going to happen. Even more so if there is no future beyond that.

I would travel but only for one season

I would for one season also but most won't/cant. It's not even necessarily about wanting to its about whether it's possible for many.

Anyway it doesn't matter the riders that Horton signed will ride for Leicester.

Edited by woz01

So share with Wolves.

How is that even possible? Cradley are sharing fixtures at Wolves AND Birmingham because there aren't enough free dates. Just how do you propose Coventry fit in fixtures as well??

Clearly the reason Leicesters team has not been announced is because if Coventry don't, the team will relocate

It's not clearly that at all.

Leicester appear to be waiting (like Belle Vue) announcing anyone until the Bees situation is clear.

That appears much more clear to me.

Darcy has already said Coventry won't be welcome to ride at Leicester, I assume you read the article? :neutral:

When Glasgow closed in 1995 and Edinburgh moved to Shawfield as the Scottish Monarchs, neither sets of fans supported them, as Glasgow saw them as "Edinburgh", and Edinburgh weren't at home. When Wimbledon merged with Eastbourne in 91? When Hackney closed and us fans followed Terry Russell to Arena? It just wasn't "home".

Riders come and go, but to lose your club, your home, the atmosphere, your spot you stand in each week, your routines, the guy you say hi to at the turnstiles every week, the history... it's a huge blow. I'm not sure those who are saying you can just move down the road fully understand. Sure, it may be "the Coventry line-up" in a different venue, but it won't be "Coventry", even if that arrangement IS on the table.

Totally agree with you as Wolves have been in that position when we were closed for 2 years, and I know what its like not to have your 'home' track. Some others just don't get it. There are general speedway fans who will go and watch any meeting, so fair play to them, but they are a very small minority.

• Like 3

I wasn't following speedway the couple of years wolves were out, how many seasons didn't they run for and what was the reasons

Wolves last top league season was 1980, when the previous promotion left. Dan McCormick then at Cradley, I think as stadium manager (stand to be corrected) took over the promotional reigns at Monmore. He moved Wolves into the lower league (National League) and changed their race night to Sunday afternoon (!) with some Thursday nights. The combination of a lower league, all different riders (no continuity) and changed race night proved to be disastrous. I live less than 1 mile walking distance from the track but couldn't be bothered to go and I could hear the bikes from back garden (!) despite previously being an ardent fan(attended every home and away match in 1976) . Financial pressures meant that the season was cut short with a series of double-headers. I think that if the race-night had been kept the same they might have stood a chance. I did however go on some of the away coach trips to see new tracks and some were legendary :D

Forward to 1984 and Peter Adams revived the Wolves in their traditional top league position.

• Like 1

MOVE THE LOT TO OXFORD

Is Oxford a viable stadium these ,could it be used seeing as it closed down when Mick Horton was the last promoter there would anyone want speedway back at Cowley under his control and would the hardcore Coventry supporters be willing to travel there . If it was viable why hasn't any would be promoter taken a chance with it.

• Like 1

Is Oxford a viable stadium these ,could it be used seeing as it closed down when Mick Horton was the last promoter there would anyone want speedway back at Cowley under his control and would the hardcore Coventry supporters be willing to travel there . If it was viable why hasn't any would be promoter taken a chance with it.

The reason why there is no speedway at Oxford at the moment is because the current stadium owners won't allow it.

If they would then I'm sure there would be an Oxford team riding there. It's not because there is no one willing to promote at Oxford or it is not viable etc.

MOVE THE LOT TO OXFORD

Good idea mate, but the fans wont move outside there comfort zone..

Oxford is not a viable proposition at this time. See an ongoing thread in speedway news and discussions.

• Like 2