British Speedway Forum

Coventry 2017

Wish some of the posters here could have attended the NSSC Speedway Question Time evening at the Brandon Club tonight.

The panel consisted of Dave Rowe, Neil Vatcher, Graham Drury, Steve Brandon, Simon Stead, Tony Steele, Jim Lawrence and Jim Lynch who gave up their time to answer questions from a well attended audience, with proceeds going to Young Lions Speedway.

There was some enlightening words and comments expressed by the panel about the sport and the Bees, which would give some sense of balance to some of the rhetoric we have seen on this and other threads

Having made that statement, NSSC News, I think it would only be fair for you to explain what was said last night that prompts you to arrive at this conclusion.

Perhaps then, the purveyors of the rhetoric might see that there is more going on here than might be evident to us mere mortals.

I look forward to my Nirvana moment.

:t:

I've got a shed full of inflatable cushions that I'd be willing to hire out or sell for a reasonable fee.....guaranteed to stay inflated for at least as long as your average speedway meeting....

Unfortunately a meeting at Coventry is usually a bit longer than the average ....

Could make a bit of money if there was a kiosk selling pile cream though!! ;)

Unfortunately a meeting at Coventry is usually a bit longer than the average ....

Could make a bit of money if there was a kiosk selling pile cream though!! ;)

Just don't get it mixed up with a tube of Colgate......or you could end up with 'piles of smiles' and 'a ring of confidence'!

(Hopefully some will remember the advert)!

• Like 3

This is meant to be a professional sport with health and safety and facilities provided in a costly stadium.

This isn't a Wurzels gig!

Yeah, right.

I think a certain venue in North Manchester cornered the market when it came to Elf and Safety and Costly........and that has turned out really well!

:rofl: :rofl: :rofl:

• Like 1

The NSSC stuff always seems to be top secret

People that attends these never seem to disclose anything ever said

It's also lovely to hear from the NSSC having a pop at the forum members

If I didn't know better I'd of thought the group had links with the BSPA if this is how to conduct themselves

A couple of my observations from a very enjoyable night at a packed NSSC Question Time.

Neil Vatcher confirmed that one of his main tasks this winter is to weed out the rules that conflict with others.

11 applicants for trainee referee positions to be interviewed next week.

No TR's in ANY aggregate matches, Premiership or Championship.

Brando questioned the sports attitude to Sponsors.......should be recognised as Corporate Partners as in most other sports and have their profile made more prominent, particularly in TV matches.

Brando also stated that over the years SKY had put millions of £'s into the sport but there was little indication of it being of benefit to the sport as a whole. (Mainly going to riders? he suggested.)

Positive thoughts from Jim Lynch now that the problems over Coventry stadium seem to have been resolved.

Seems he was involved in certain ways with the team building.

In my view, suggestions that this event could have been 'streamed' would have resulted in more guarded responses to certain questions put to the panel.

Well done to the NSSC and to the many fans who attended, boosting the funds for their Young Lions sponsorship.

• Like 4

Having made that statement, NSSC News, I think it would only be fair for you to explain what was said last night

I don't know if it's still the case, but historically something of the seal of the confessional applied at NSSC meetings in order that those answering the questions could speak freely without too much fear of comebacks. Not sure in this social media age if that's still the case.

If so Gambo, unless that post was somewhat guarded, may be something of a marked man, woman or bee...

No intention to criticise anyone who has posted on the forum, but it would great if more of you could come along to some of our meetings.

Your entrance fee goes directly towards helping under-16 British riders through our association with Young Lions Speedway.

More and more youngsters are participating year on year and it is encouraging that given the appropriate support, that as a sport we stand a better chance of developing a nucleus of riders who can compete at world level in 5-10 years time.

The more you know about the sport from all people who are connected (Riders, Team Managers, Promoters, Referees, TV presenters etc.) the more you appreciate the challenges that many face.

All of the guests that we have spoken to over the years are real enthusiasts and are all rooting for the sport to pick itself up and move forward, although they may disagree about what is needed to get there.

We know all about the ludicrous and over complicated rule book and the culture within the sport which promotes this ridiculously short-sighted season by season view of self-interest and rule manipulation.

As the fans we have two ways to deal with this.

We can trade insults with one another and criticise the people who run the sport (and yes a lot of this criticism is very valid) or as we see it at the NSSC, we can look at ways to try to help the future speedway riders to improve so that hopefully British Speedway is no longer the third rate sport that it is at present.

So by coming along to our NSSC evenings you are making a contribution, you can learn a few things you didn't know before and voice your opinion.

• Like 2

Read it.

I have. Still nothing to do with Coventry. Every time somebody with English as a second language misspells a word, it doesn't mean they are joining Coventry. Think he's just made a spelling mistake if this is what you are talking about.

It's nice to bee important ...but it's more important to bee nice 😉😉👊🏻

Edited by mdmc82
  • Like 2