British Speedway Forum

Guest GiveusaB

Same time of year as 2017 then.

What "we" dont have is the booking schedule for the Principality Stadium. Maybe they already booked up for earlier dates. Few years ago it used to be June, maybe thats not available.

Or the fact they need more then a week that they used to have to build the track. Remember Warsaw was only 2015 and that fiasco with the track is what sent the building of the track from 1 week up to nearly 2 weeks. Perhaps they cant have up to 2 weeks in June.

Or it could be available dates for other GP's that are a problem.

None of us know what may effect selection of dates, so its so easy to criticise.

I wasnt criticizing? I was merely pointing out that the mid July date makes it more expensive and therefore affects attendance levels!

Funny that, interviewed in the main newspapers and several times on TV leading up to and during the evening and not one swear word.

Funny that, I saw him on the official live SGP Q&A web feed and he swore. Must have edited out his foul language in the newspaper do you think? and on the TV

Guest GiveusaB

STEVE ... no rider was "sent" round for a lap. They just mis-understood what they were supposed to do. That's why belatedly a steward was posted by the victory lane to let them know where to go.

Tbf...It was a poxy entrance by the riders....a couple of them nearly lost control on entering the Centre Green !

There was no need to ride across the centre?

Once round the track and line-up at the starting gate has always worked for me....

25,000 in a full stadium looks a lot better than 35,000 in a half empty stadium, it's all about image to the punter watching at home.

Cutting capacity to just those 25,000 that can afford the increased priced that demand/supply economics will result in?

What happened to Speedway for the many, not just the few? What happened to anti-capitalism and anti-globalisation?

Will you need a British passport to get a ticket, to placate your pro-Brexit / anti-Polish contingent on here? Will there be concessionary prices for people on benefits?

• Like 2

Funny that, I saw him on the official live SGP Q&A web feed and he swore. Must have edited out his foul language in the newspaper do you think? and on the TV

it was live so nothing edited out,the papers usually use asteriks for swearing.

One of my Polish colleagues who was in Cardiff told me in Poznan yesterday that it was around 32k.

So if correct about half full, would be the lowest crowd i've been in there.

Wouldn't have thought the majority would stay over.

Total lack of stewards to enforce the no standing during racing rule.

A few points.

Ticket prices are rather high. A seat looking down the back straight costs £49.

Can't comment on hotel prices as we were on an organised tour staying 6 miles out from the city centre.

The attendance looked down on previous years. Those watching on TV wouldn't have noticed the stand on the tapes side which had significantly fewer spectators than the stand opposite the cameras.

Security checks were thorough. A few late comers were complaining, but that's their problem. Should've arrived earlier.

The Polish fans are great. Without their presence it would've been pretty flat.

As for Craig Cook. Out of his depth in this class I'm afraid.

Anyone who had money on Lindback may be interested to learn he was spotted in a chippy at 1am on Saturday morning. Hardly ideal preparation.

Paid 38 quid on back straight right opposite tapes.

I heard that was a Lindback dreadlocked lookylikey robbing the joint!

I didn't go this year, as the incessant mindless noise of airhorns and vuvuzelas just does my head in.

Is there anyway of avoiding it?

there are air horn free sections and use ear plugs. I do find the music too loud though.

Edited by eric i

I don't mind atmosphere created by fans cheering and supporting their rider...and I like to hear the bikes engines. I don't mind music either.

Airhorns and vuvuzelas...are just 'noise'. It doesn't make a great atmosphere...it just makes an incessant noise that means nothing.

It's like when the presenter says 'make some noise' for so and so...what does that actually mean? It's just plain braindead imo.

I just don't see the fun in making noise for the sake of it.

Atmosphere is created by excitement and anticipation.

Imo...airhorns are encouraged as it gives a false sense of excitement to the viewers on tv. 'Listen to all that noise and excitement'...when actually its a few thousand Poles, munching on a sausage, pissed outta their heads, pressing their finger down on an airhorn ;-)

Empty vessels and all that.

Tongue firmly in cheek :-)

• Like 1

Air horns are banned at the Principality as mentioned on the back of the tickets.

There may have been the odd few that managed to sneak some in but the majority used were blow horns.

One very noticeable difference as I hadn't been in three years was how much quieter the bikes were

• Like 1

I wonder with some reasonable estimates of the crowd being 32,000,at what level will it not be viable to hold the GP in Cardiff?If the crowd level falls much below 30,000.What we have at the moment is one of the best British riders ever out there and the crowds are still falling.bviously a reflection of the general support for speedway falling.But take that and then the chance in a few years that Tai isn't up there and we have no-one to take his place the crowd could fall quite alarmingl.Just like Phil said the interest in Sweden dropped off once TRick retired and my prediction is this could well happen in Denmark over the next couple of years as Nicki goes out of the GPs and possibly speedway altogether

Edited by iris123

Air horns are banned at the Principality as mentioned on the back of the tickets.

There may have been the odd few that managed to sneak some in but the majority used were blow horns.

One very noticeable difference as I hadn't been in three years was how much quieter the bikes were

No they're not banned. Flammable air-horns are banned. Non-flammable ones are allowed.

So the attendance was 40,234. So a bit more than the 32 and 35k some people suggested, I'll claim my 42k guess was pretty accurate.

Maybe one reason why the attendance fell this year is because some people may not be able to relate to Tai Woffinden.

Hes the only GB rider in the GP's so he should be loved by everyone.

But

1) he does not ride in the British speedway league

2) he does not ride in the British Championship

3) probably worst of all - he does not ride for GB

4) some dont like the tatoos he has - of all the top GB atheletes/sportsperson he is the one with the most that are visible.

5) some do not like the swearing he comes out with in normal conversation..

Of course, some on this forum dont mind any of the above, but equally there are some that do object to some if not all of the above.

The crowd seems to be less then before, and some who were there say that not as much cheering for Tai.