British Speedway Forum

According to your 'Steward Source.' Between reading your obvious disdain for the event & looking at the crowd I'll decline to believe you

Back in 2004, the crowd was significantly smaller than yesterday. The upper tiers has only the first 6 rows filled on the third and fourth bends. In comparison yesterday had people all the way around to the top. Yes there were plent of empty seats, there always are. But to compare 2004 to 2017, there is quite a difference upwards. And comparing from last year, and I am using photographic evidence, shows a small improvement.

• Like 2

Enjoyed Cardiff last night but agree the atmosphere isn't what it was in previous years.

Acoustics in stadium were awful, could barely hear lap times etc & none of Greg Hancock's interview was audible.

I 100% agree but unlike SCB I thought the attendance was lower this year. I had a row of Polish fans right behind me -- the airhorns never stopped, their Polish flagged covered me after nearly every race and I got beer splattered all over me -- I honestly did not care a bit as they apologised and added to the atmosphere which was a tad diluted this year but I confess to feeling a bit deflated after Greg had to withdraw. I have already booked my hotel for our group of four in 2018 and already looking forward to it.

• Like 1

Back in 2004, the crowd was significantly smaller than yesterday. The upper tiers has only the first 6 rows filled on the third and fourth bends. In comparison yesterday had people all the way around to the top. Yes there were plent of empty seats, there always are. But to compare 2004 to 2017, there is quite a difference upwards. And comparing from last year, and I am using photographic evidence, shows a small improvement.

I thought it was slightly less this year, but that may have been down to there being some seats behind us being empty and it skews your view, but nowhere near as significant as 10,000 drop. It's good to see it's maintaining it's level though, proves that some people think it's worth it....

• Like 1

There was an entire section on the back straight upper tier that was completely empty. I've not seen that before.

our steward told us that they had been told to expect 32000

Those stating £25 isn't much are clearly wealthy baby boomers who benefited from cheap house prices.

Working class families can't afford to spend £100+ on a day out.

Blimey , it's £17 to stand on a bit of grass at Swindon!

Edited by kluson

I thought Tai's lap was a farewell lap, similar to the last great TW, Todd Wiltshire.

Tai is always banging the drum about team GB saying why enter something if you have no chance of winning. If he managed to get a spot next year (a third wildcard gift?) he has no chance of winning so I'm assuming he will pull out.

Happy to post the pics of the crowd from last year and this for people who wish to compare.

As for the cost of the day.

Fuel to Cardiff. £20

Parking £2.60 for the day.

Lunch. £10

Costa 2.50

Ticket £25

Total cost inc lunch which I would have had no matter where I was, is just £60.10

Everyone can afford to go. Cut out the costa and buy a sandwich and bottle of water from Asda and even Jeremy Corbyns dole scroungers and spongers could afford to go. There's no excuse not to be there. Cheap as chips day out.

I 100% agree but unlike SCB I thought the attendance was lower this year. I had a row of Polish fans right behind me -- the airhorns never stopped, their Polish flagged covered me after nearly every race and I got beer splattered all over me -- I honestly did not care a bit as they apologised and added to the atmosphere which was a tad diluted this year but I confess to feeling a bit deflated after Greg had to withdraw. I have already booked my hotel for our group of four in 2018 and already looking forward to it.

Which hotel you booked and can anyone recommend one, could only get in the Ibis because I booked so late,not good. Plus looks like I'm having trouble with them charging my c/c for breakfast even though I paid cash

Happy to post the pics of the crowd from last year and this for people who wish to compare.

Fuel to Cardiff. £20

Lunch. £10

Costa 2.50

Ticket £25

Total cost inc lunch which I would have had no matter where I was, is just £60.10

Everyone can afford to go. Cut out the costa and buy a sandwich and bottle of water from Asda and even Jeremy Corbyns dole scroungers and spongers could afford to go. There's no excuse not to be there. Cheap as chips day out.

I was (unusually) enjoying your post until your patronising comment about scroungers. BTW I post as a member of the forum of as someone a little younger than you with my own fully paid up property having paid my mortgage off as an ex professional working person having worked in a DECENT environment.

OMG I have just realised that I've given you the oxygen of publicity by responding to your inane comment.

Which hotel you booked and can anyone recommend one, could only get in the Ibis because I booked so late,not good. Plus looks like I'm having trouble with them charging my c/c for breakfast even though I paid cash

How many rooms do you require and for how many people? I have 2 bookings and will be cancelling one of them but perhaps I could help?

Edited by fliss44
  • Like 1

There were not people all round to the rafters yesterday, the top tiers of the pits straight were empty other than a couple of rows at the bottom, corner top tiers were empty too. They had filled the top tier on the back straight though, although there were plenty of seats to be had there too. I won some tickets on the 3rd bend top tier and we had about 10 seats beside us empty..

Fuel to Cardiff. £20

Lunch. £10

Costa 2.50

Ticket £25

£10 for lunch?

You're so out of touch.

A single mum has £30-£40 to spend for a week's supply of groceries.

Withdraw your remark about scroungers, I found it offensive.

Edited by Jeremy Corbyn Fan

Fuel to Cardiff. £20

Lunch. £10

Costa 2.50

Ticket £25

just great fishing,super fishing from a swindon fan

Indeed, it is a real struggle to balance the priorities and it's harsh to criticise.

After the various benefits have gone on essentials like booze, fags and weed I doubt speedway gets a look in, in any case it just doesn't leave enough for luxuries like gas, electric, rent and food.

Ridiculous comment, carry on reading the Daily Mail.

Really the price is no excuse not to attend.Learn a few tunes on the guitar or paint yourself silver and stand around for an hour or two busking and you got the ticket money

Edited by iris123

You've been a member for 11 years and you don't know?????

you're not wrong! sad though, I always keep an eye on this forum but don't usually comment in Forums as they just end up in slanging matches. People seem to get so abusive towards each other. It's a bit like being in the Car. They all feel it belongs to them and they are immune from anything and have almighty power to dish out abuse and vitriol to anyone who dares to disagree with them..

Oh well - such is life I guess!

I'm already looking forward to Cardiff next year despite what anyone may say!, and looking forward to Swindon V Poole on Thursday. I don't support any team , I just love speedway,. Always hope for a good meeting , but realistically accept that some are good some are not so good, and finally that all the riders go home in one piece.

• Like 2

our steward told us that they had been told to expect 32000

Blimey , it's £17 to stand on a bit of grass at Swindon!

Yes but its a special Wiltshire rye seed grass, finest quality, and nothing matches the back straight bog experience at Blunsdon. How many of the few hundred Swindon fans queuing in the rain outside the station kept their free ponchos, a fine sight.

As someone said why wasn't it announced the reason why Woffy had missed the cut.

Dont know if I'm going mutton jeff but hard to hear race times.

Also would prefer earlier start time but sure it was later years ago, now peeps can get 8.30 London bound train.

• Like 1