British Speedway Forum

I must be very lucky as have been going to Cardiff for years and no problems with the Poles at all, the more the merrier I say, adds to the atmosphere.

Another good Cardiff meeting with decent racing, after the referee decided to delay the tapes too much in the first few heats.

• Like 1

Enjoyed the meeting although did seem a bit more muted than previous ones.

Security going in was pathetic. Took about 45 minutes to get in. And don't say it was for our safety because they stole the selfie stick that my wife always keeps in her handbag. Last time I saw terrorist atrocities on the news, Al Qaida weren't killing people with selfie sticks.

Great stuff from Jason Doyle after a disastrous start. Good to see Woffy getting a good reception as always.

Great ride from Josh Bates first time out.

Ref was a prat. Stopping every race If someone made a good start and then deciding whether or not some or moved from the replays.

I think this 'warning' system makes it worse. Riders now have it in their head that they can get away with rolling once. Jason Doyle had nothing to lose taking a gamble in the final as even if warned he had no more races.

Ticket prices need to come down or this event will slowly die.

Without the Poles the place would be half empty.

• Like 3

Dont suppose we will get to know the official attendance, but I reckon it must have been down from previous years. OK, the middle tier seemed as full as before, it was the upper tier....seemed a lot more empty spaces.

Janowski rode very well. 3 lightening starts in the semi and the final. After the ref wrongly called his first semi start back (then apologised) the pressure must have increased for him to do it again....but he did. Then again in the final with Zmarzlik on the inside of him, and Zmarzlik was going well from the starts anyway. Got to have that confidence and self belief you can do it, and Janowski did it.

I hope Greg recovers well, we all know it takes longer to recover from accidents when you are older, Greg has done very well to get to his age and still be in the mix. I wouldnt like to see him retire in this situation, same goes with Nicki - even if he comes back I dont think he will get to the top flight again. Will all be a big shame if we loose two big ones in one year.

• Like 1

Dont suppose we will get to know the official attendance, but I reckon it must have been down from previous years. OK, the middle tier seemed as full as before, it was the upper tier....seemed a lot more empty spaces.

Janowski rode very well. 3 lightening starts in the semi and the final. After the ref wrongly called his first semi start back (then apologised) the pressure must have increased for him to do it again....but he did. Then again in the final with Zmarzlik on the inside of him, and Zmarzlik was going well from the starts anyway. Got to have that confidence and self belief you can do it, and Janowski did it.

I hope Greg recovers well, we all know it takes longer to recover from accidents when you are older, Greg has done very well to get to his age and still be in the mix. I wouldnt like to see him retire in this situation, same goes with Nicki - even if he comes back I dont think he will get to the top flight again. Will all be a big shame if we loose two big ones in one year.

My guesstimate would be 32000-35000

Enjoyed the meeting although did seem a bit more muted than previous ones.

Security going in was pathetic. Took about 45 minutes to get in. And don't say it was for our safety because they stole the selfie stick that my wife always keeps in her handbag. Last time I saw terrorist atrocities on the news, Al Qaida weren't killing people with selfie sticks.

Great stuff from Jason Doyle after a disastrous start. Good to see Woffy getting a good reception as always.

Great ride from Josh Bates first time out.

Ref was a prat. Stopping every race If someone made a good start and then deciding whether or not some or moved from the replays.

I think this 'warning' system makes it worse. Riders now have it in their head that they can get away with rolling once. Jason Doyle had nothing to lose taking a gamble in the final as even if warned he had no more races.

Ticket prices need to come down or this event will slowly die.

Without the Poles the place would be half empty.

I don't think ticket prices are the problem its hotel prices
  • Like 4

Another great day out, well done Doyley, looked down and out after first 2 heats, now leading GP.

Best GP we've been to. Great atmosphere with all the Poles.

Trains well organised.

Apart from getting wet in the queue after the meeting- at least the poncho`s were gratefully received- last year I got straight onto the platform- maybe I was just lucky !!!!

• Like 1

Having always been a Janowski admirer , it is no surprise to me that this year he is the real deal. No fancy flights or Primadonna, Magic does everything right, A credit to himself and the sport....

Worth a bet to be World Champion 2017........ :t:

• Like 1

That`s the issue for me, hotel prices, quite happy to pay decent money for decent seats and my ticket to fly down but even for budget hotels the prices they charge for SGP weekend seem over the top to me. However from looking at the availability of rooms it seems most hotels fill up pretty rapidly and while that is happening there`s little chance of getting any reduction any time soon.

So why wasn't the current British Champion also given the chance to "thanks the fans" for their support?

One point at the expense of the track reserve and one point due to a coq-up by Potty Pawlicki. An embarrassing state of affairs for the British Champion in his home SGP. Matches his shambolic display in Leszno. Cannot cut the mustard when amongst the world's best. Nothing there to deserve a lap of "honour".

Now take away the 10,000 that were the Polish fans for a better reflection of the state of the support for speedway from British fans...

• Like 1

One point at the expense of the track reserve and one point due to a coq-up by Potty Pawlicki. An embarrassing state of affairs for the British Champion in his home SGP. Matches his shambolic display in Leszno. Cannot cut the mustard when amongst the world's best. Nothing there to deserve a lap of "honour".

Sadly,if nothing else, it proved beyond doubt that being a big fish in the weakest leagues in so-called major speedway countries of Europe won't make you a world class rider.

Maybe it's already too late, but if Cook really does have any serious ambition to go further, he has to stop riding against the riders he races week in week out and concentrate on getting into Poland and Sweden full-time.

Edited by stewmac

Sadly,if nothing else, it proved beyond doubt that being a big fish in the weakest leagues in so-called major speedway countries of Europe won't make you a world class rider.

Maybe it's already too late, but if Cook really does have any serious ambition to go further, he has to stop riding against the riders he races week in week out and concentrate on getting into Poland and Sweden full-time.

He'll be 31 before next season. Not many teams in Sweden and Poland share the Stoke Potters recruitment policy. It won't be easy for him, especially after last night's showing.

That would apply to rugby fixtures too. You never see less than a capacity crowd in that stadium for rugby matches.

• Like 1

For me Cook stands on the threshold of the last chance saloon facing outwards with the doors drawn back and ready to swing and hit him squarely in the backside.

He just has the GP Challenge opportunity to duck back in to drink at the world speedway bar.

• Like 1

Just think it is a season too many for Greg , hope I am wrong but just get the feeling that this could be his final Gp series .

Cardiff hosts a multitude of events throughout the year and if you check you will find hotel prices rise when these events take place. The same goes for any major city be it London, Birmingham, Manchester, Glasgow, Belfast. Its the way the market works unfortunately.

Three years ago we stayed 18 miles north of Cardiff and paid about £65 per room b&b on the Saturday night, then droppped into Cardiff Quay for a Travel Lodge on the Sunday night at around £45 per room b&b. Travel Lodge on the Sat night would have been lot more on the Saturday night.

Just think it is a season too many for Greg , hope I am wrong but just get the feeling that this could be his final Gp series .

If I would have been him, I think I would want to go out at the top, and after winning the World Champ. last year that may have been the moment. Not even Greg can keep going forever, and he has done extremely well - take some super person to match what GH has done.

Edited by OveFundinFan

UPPER tier along the back straight was pretty full. I thought it was one of the biggest attendances. Great meeting to watch, some terrific racing, none better than in Heat 11. Not for the first time thought Emil made the wrong gate choice for the semi. If you don't make a clean break from one, which he didn't, you cannot get to the dirt line and he was toast.

Shame, thought in his previous three rides he looked like the Emil of old. Didn't shy away from some hairy moments.

Doyle, who had to cut short his press conference appearance in order to remove his boot, was asked whether he would now take some time off. Just a day ... Poland, on Monday (re-arranged fixture), Sweden on Tuesday and Swindon Thursday.

Edited by PHILIPRISING
  • Like 2

And how many of those were Polish? Without their presence, the attendance figure would have been really embarassing. And for those who complain about prices, just think how expensive it would be for someone on Polish wages to fly over here for this event.

I take photos of the crowd and comparing last year to this, the crowd looks up, but not by a huge amount.

The crowd levels have been very similar for years now and it seems bsi just can't push crowd attendances to the next level.

• Like 1