British Speedway Forum

Scunthorpe Scorpions Vs Glasgow Tigers ( P L) - Sunday, July 10th (4pm)

Glasgow's away form is going to cost them dearly if they are not careful.

I wonder if there is a feeling that maybe dropping Ben Barker for Rene Bach was not such a good idea.

For Scunthorpe, lesson for next season if you are going to retain the services of Josh Auty make sure you sign a rider that keeps him away from the number 1 position, he is so more effective when he is not riding at number 1.

A 41 points total from three meetings now for Auty since switching to no 5.A massive difference does he find there are more racing lines after heat 1.? Edited by Sidney the robin
  • Like 1

Yep Bach for Barker never seemed like a great move.

Bye the way, did Glasgow take back their Kevlars from Barker when they tossed him out?

I see he was wearing his old Peterborough ones at Ippo last week.

Panthers also had bother with Barker over rolling stock that didn't belong to him as well I believe

Never seen the track as bad it was a boring meeting. Scunny weren't that good just Glasgee that were not up for it.

Little harsh. True, it was pretty poor up to heat 11 but after that it was normal service (largely) resumed. To be fair, it was hot, windy day.

I am still wondering where Josh Auty came from in heat 13. One second stone last the next first. Brilliant stuff .

Good to see Lewis Kerr banging in a couple of heat wins. It may be that the only winners from Ipswich showing him the door will be Scunthorpe.

Bandit for life commented on the way out that he was pleased Berwick have already been to EWR. He won't be alone, as Scunny are now an entirely different team. For that reason, I'd say Scunny were that good.

On a final note, I am sure that none of us take for granted the continued existence of a speedway track so it was very welcome news that the Scorpions will be coming to the tapes in 2017. ​

Edited by Halifaxtiger
  • Like 2

Auty seems to have got some speed in his bike now, I didn't expect him to score a max on that slick dust track.

Never seen the track as bad it was a boring meeting. Scunny weren't that good just Glasgee that were not up for it.

Racing wasn't as good as it normally is and that is why Scunny don't race afternoon meetings normally.

Excellent win for Scunny... our season seems like its finally started.

Dislike afternoon racing...An afternoon meeting on a warm blustery day was never gonna produce fantastic racing heat after heat....but three or four of those races were simply brilliant (from a Scunny perspective).

All the best to Alex Davies.

Today simply didnt want to mix it..ok if they trapped but when required to race-- not interested...heat 15 summed it up when a Glasgow rider couldnt be arsed to finish the race...

But fair play to Scunny on their fine win

Could be racing around the EWR all week and no one would beat Auty on that form

They are both just gaters IMO ,but they are good gaters,but when the going gets tough they are not reliable especially away from Ashfield.

I wonder if there is a feeling that maybe dropping Ben Barker for Rene Bach was not such a good idea.

For Scunthorpe, lesson for next season if you are going to retain the services of Josh Auty make sure you sign a rider that keeps him away from the number 1 position, he is so more effective when he is not riding at number 1.

think there was more than lack of points behind Barket getting shown the door IMO .Bach is a slick track gating tart so Ashfield might be a problem for him.
  • Like 1

Quite amusing to read some saying Glasgow shouldn't have dropped Barker, but then others saying Ipswich shouldn't have dropped Kerr for him. Is Kerr really better than Bach? All much of a muchness IMO.

Not a fan of the jealousy posts against Glasgow's money, its a good thing that somebody is putting that kind of finance into the sport somewhere. They are still going to lose meetings along the way. All a bit playground to take the mickey when they do.

• Like 5

Unfortunately Glasgow visit the dark side this Friday though there is a busy EL card so it could be guests aplenty for both sides. Ricky Wells anyone?

ricky will be a bit ring rusty .very few meetings this season . but the chance for tricky to get some laps in before Saturday maybe .

Lawson and Summers often come up short late in meetings away from home.Home form keeps them a decent average.

TBF Lawson's away form tends to be ok, Summers more variable away from home.

Auty obviously rode like a World Camp but away from home I've fond him to be dire and hardly score a point.

I guess that's speedway, home advantage influences things that bit more than other sports.

Possibly. But remember for the Play-offs the top 6 out of only 13 clubs (about half) qualify, and a team with a 100% home record and only a couple of away points usually lands above halfway in the table.

Just want to say how good it is to hear Scunny fans got early confirmation they are running next year after previous years of doubt. Must be great for their fans and all concerned.

Best wishes to Alex Davies

• Like 4

TBF Lawson's away form tends to be ok, Summers more variable away from home.

Auty obviously rode like a World Camp but away from home I've fond him to be dire and hardly score a point.

I guess that's speedway, home advantage influences things that bit more than other sports.

Possibly. But remember for the Play-offs the top 6 out of only 13 clubs (about half) qualify, and a team with a 100% home record and only a couple of away points usually lands above halfway in the table.

Looking at the table it could be very tight for the sixth place here's hoping the fixtures can be completed in time, but there are a couple of clubs might struggle to manage too.

Glasgow will skoosh their way into the Play Offs, I can see them going missing when they get there though, Garcia apart I am not sure that side has the whatever it takes attitude needed come that time of year.

Hard to disagree though there is a bit of time to turn it around if we can on the road, no point peaking in July. I reckon GLA need a minimum of 45 points to make it into the play offs.

Lunna is due back soon and needs to be our trump card at reserve. He's struggled at No2 since the start of the season though Garcia will now take up that mantle.

This meeting generated a lot of positivity around the club; after weeks being in the doldrums looking for clues. Josh Auty was on fire; unbeaten in his last two EWR meetings; posting two successive 5 ride maximum scores. He has definitely benefited from handing the No1 jacket to Ryan; who so often has been the one rider we can look to this season. But now it would seem we have two bone fide top riders who can take the fight to the opposition main men.

Got to salute Lewis Kerr; had to double take him on the parade; looking every bit Andrea's Lyager from a distance. This was only because he had borrowed Andrea's bike and race suit; having parted ways with his previous backers Revolution Speedway; meaning he was minus a bike and gear before the match. On borrowed stuff; he manages to play a big part in the taming of the table topping Tigers and survived a nasty Ht9 spill that saw Alex off in the ambulance with a back injury. Lewis has always looked competitive around the EWR as a visitor and here was reason to think; that provided he sorts his machinery out going forward then he can play a big part in the remaining weeks of the season.

Polished show too from MPT a great reserve; looking safe and assured on the bike. Tofty has definitely developed his racing whilst away in the Elite League with Belle Vue and more recently in the PL. Great trump card to bring in for first Little Josh as a reserve replacement and then for Alex. He could be busy in the matches to come.

I thought that the staff and riders managed the meeting very well; responding on and off track to the tactical switches and changing track conditions to get the most out of it. You will not see a better high speed swoop from last to first than Josh going around Summers on turn two to join Ryan for the 5-1. Just awesome speedway that and had the support really getting behind the team.

Worth noting that with Alex sidelined and Little Josh failing to score it was a 5 man team to all intents; so to run out 51-39 against the league leaders and big spenders was no mean feat. Hearing Alex has two crushed vertebrae so; wishing him all the best for a full and timely recovery; which will influence whether the management look to bring in a replacement.

But there was much to enthuse over yesterday; and Rob was clearly buzzing; as he categorically stated that "we are definitely running in 2017" But right now the focus has to be on harnessing the positivity around the EWR; after two successive home wins and edging our way away from the wrong end of the league table.

Edited by the outsider