British Speedway Forum

Mildenhall -v- Cradley Off

Rather than hand 4 points to Cradley it would have been fairer all round to take 4 points off the Bog Moggies. That way they suffer some kind of penalty. Even if they win the rearranged match they still can't claw all 4 points back.

Just a thought.

As a supporter of neither team, or any in the third tier, I am speaking with some impartiality.

Should this decision be proven not to be urban legend (and you would think Cradley officials would have been told if it wasn’t by now) every team, other than the Heathens has been penalised for Mildenhall’s (in) actions.

The suspended fine is actually no fine at all, as long as Kevin Jolly keeps his nose clean, so hardly punished; yet the innocents of Buxton, Isle of Wight etc., will be 4 points further behind Cradley as a result whereas Mildenhall will be……………….. oh yeah the same 4 points behind as the innocent parties here. We’ve had riders in the past fined, with no suspension period, far more for having the wrong shade of helmet colour even though, for a colour blind person like me, these rebels were actually a huge help as colour was easier to identify. Even if he has a big bogie coming down his left nostril during the suspension period the subsequent fine for Kevin is only really pocket money.

OK I know he is an advisor to the club but how ironic that the hearing was, in Kevin’s absence held with the League Title Sponsor’s representative, speaking on behalf of the guilty party. I’m sure that he is an honourable person (and a great goalkeeper in his heyday in spite of his Donald Trump hairstyle) but it doesn’t help with transparency. A lot like Trevor Brooking adjudicating in the Carlos Tevez affair with his “neutrality” ensuring West Ham weren’t docked the points to relegate them that season, as they should have been.

Obviously not my good self but some could even suggest dodgy handshakes and rolled up trouser legs being the deciding factor in reaching this conclusion, or the fear of pulling of the sponsorship. It would be hard to argue with whoever those people may be.

It is not good PR that the much respected Title sponsor has fairly directly penalised the majority of clubs the company is supposedly supporting in agreeing with this decision. Surely the moral thing to do would be stop any points which were going to be awarded to Cradley but, as my learned friend here suggests, take them from Fen Tigers, who are the ones who’ve benefitted. Then replay the match and not some meaningless challenge for the Fen Pork Scratchings Trophy or similar, in its place.

As some have said it would also have been a nice gesture to refund those travelling some distance in good faith to this match with their petrol or other travel costs. Like the other 30,000 on here who will no doubt be submitting a claim, I arrived at the stadium only to find no officials there I could speak to support my application and no match on. A £100 contribution to my petrol costs would indeed be the honourable thing to do. The trauma claims can come later.

• Like 1

As a supporter of neither team, or any in the third tier, I am speaking with some impartiality.

Should this decision be proven not to be urban legend (and you would think Cradley officials would have been told if it wasn’t by now) every team, other than the Heathens has been penalised for Mildenhall’s (in) actions.

The suspended fine is actually no fine at all, as long as Kevin Jolly keeps his nose clean, so hardly punished; yet the innocents of Buxton, Isle of Wight etc., will be 4 points further behind Cradley as a result whereas Mildenhall will be……………….. oh yeah the same 4 points behind as the innocent parties here. We’ve had riders in the past fined, with no suspension period, far more for having the wrong shade of helmet colour even though, for a colour blind person like me, these rebels were actually a huge help as colour was easier to identify. Even if he has a big bogie coming down his left nostril during the suspension period the subsequent fine for Kevin is only really pocket money.

OK I know he is an advisor to the club but how ironic that the hearing was, in Kevin’s absence held with the League Title Sponsor’s representative, speaking on behalf of the guilty party. I’m sure that he is an honourable person (and a great goalkeeper in his heyday in spite of his Donald Trump hairstyle) but it doesn’t help with transparency. A lot like Trevor Brooking adjudicating in the Carlos Tevez affair with his “neutrality” ensuring West Ham weren’t docked the points to relegate them that season, as they should have been.

Obviously not my good self but some could even suggest dodgy handshakes and rolled up trouser legs being the deciding factor in reaching this conclusion, or the fear of pulling of the sponsorship. It would be hard to argue with whoever those people may be.

It is not good PR that the much respected Title sponsor has fairly directly penalised the majority of clubs the company is supposedly supporting in agreeing with this decision. Surely the moral thing to do would be stop any points which were going to be awarded to Cradley but, as my learned friend here suggests, take them from Fen Tigers, who are the ones who’ve benefitted. Then replay the match and not some meaningless challenge for the Fen Pork Scratchings Trophy or similar, in its place.

As some have said it would also have been a nice gesture to refund those travelling some distance in good faith to this match with their petrol or other travel costs. Like the other 30,000 on here who will no doubt be submitting a claim, I arrived at the stadium only to find no officials there I could speak to support my application and no match on. A £100 contribution to my petrol costs would indeed be the honourable thing to do. The trauma claims can come later.

although you do go off on a few tangents now and again , basically well said.

e]

although you do go off on a few tangents now and again , basically well said.

I'm a big fan of Ronnie Corbett; comic genius.

And Ronnie wasn't bad either.

Thanks Mr Ore

That would seem the sensible solution.

Though I have to say any contest for the Pork Scratchings Trophy would be anything but meaningless. Come to think of it hold the Trophy I'll just take the scratchings!

I don't usually apologise, but my dig is at the ridiculous names given to some meaningless speedway trophies and not an insult to the culinary gem that is pork scratchings.. Certainly seems we are kindred spirits, although it is 48 hours since I last indulged with 3 bags for a fiver at Ealing Beer Festival. Lush..
  • Like 1

From Mildenhall Fen Tigers facebook page:

From Kevin Jolly -

I have asked Phil [Kirk, club press officer] to reproduce this piece from this Sunday's programme so it can be seen ahead of the meeting.

I will be amongst you all in the crowd on Sunday so please do take the time to speak with me if you wish to discuss the recent events of the last few weeks. I look forward to catching up with many of you on Sunday

Thank you

"It has been some time since our previous home meeting and a great has happened in the ensuing time. With relation to the Cradley meeting I cannot say too much at the moment as at the time of writing this is still an ongoing situation, however I do want to offer my sincere apologies to everyone concerned with the club for my actions on the 19th June. It was a ‘heat of the moment’ decision that I obviously now regret and wish I had handled differently. I was sorry to hear that a number of supporters made a wasted journey and apologise for the confusion on the day. I will be around today amongst the crowd and please come and speak to me if you wish to discuss anything to do with that afternoon".

• 2 weeks later...

Sensible decision...

Can only wonder why it wasn't delivered this way initially, anyway, well done to the BSPA for realising the mistake and sorting it...

Strong, clear, sensible administration of the sport...

More of the same to come?

At least they got to the right decision in the end.

Can't help thinking that it's only because of the amount of complaining from supporters and other clubs that they've finally put the decision right.

Shame they didn't get it right in the first place, but with Mr Morrish involved what do you expect.

Indeed, the right decision has been reached. Cradley shouldn't have been awarded the league points at the expense of other teams in the league and Mildenhall still have the chance to win back the points they have been deducted on the track.

The only question that remains is whether Mildenhall will lose custom through the gate, as a result of Mr Jolly's actions. I can't imagine that many Heathens fans, for instance, will be likely to attend the re-staging.

gob smacking piece of common sense and fair play, POWER TO THE PEOPLE ! however i think mr jolly got off lightly with his fine for this , i thought national lge riders got fines like this for altercations with other riders and petulance towards the ref ?

Edited by gee jay

Surely the moral thing to do would be stop any points which were going to be awarded to Cradley but, as my learned friend here suggests, take them from Fen Tigers, who are the ones who’ve benefitted. Then replay the match and not some meaningless challenge for the Fen Pork Scratchings Trophy or similar, in its place.

Smacks to me of plagiarism of the highest order by the SCB, or is it a case of imitation being the sincerest form of flattery. I think we should be told.

Whatever it is an Ore some call. Shame about the Fen Pork Scratchings Trophy though.

My next mission is to ensure that the Premier 4s this weekend finishes before the whole crowd have lost the will to live.

Indeed, the right decision has been reached. Cradley shouldn't have been awarded the league points at the expense of other teams in the league and Mildenhall still have the chance to win back the points they have been deducted on the track.

The only question that remains is whether Mildenhall will lose custom through the gate, as a result of Mr Jolly's actions. I can't imagine that many Heathens fans, for instance, will be likely to attend the re-staging.

The crowd vs the IOW was a decent 1 last week,which I doubt included many away fans.Would imagine it will be something similar vs Cradley tbh

Totally agree that we have got to the right decision in the end.

Interesting that Mildenhall have been told to reduce admission prices for the rerun and dish out free programmes.

I wonder what the reduced cost will look like. You would have thought the BSPA would have specified a figure or we could all be looking at a 1p discount!