British Speedway Forum

Danish Gp Horsens 11th June 2016

Been brilliant so far. Downside is Prague next. A dreadful track that is usually a gaters paradise and bald as Kojak.

Fantastic to see Holder getting back to where he was before his injury at Coventry. He had the word at his feet then and now its time to get back there. He could have won last night but he is a fair racer who always leaves room for his opponent, even if it means losing out on a gp win. Other riders might not have been so allowing.

Especially good for Chris Holder - able to keep his focus despite his young son Max being taken off in the ambulance. He apparently suffered some sort of allergic reaction (probably got too close to Pedersen :D:wink: ) but is expected to be released from hospital today!! :t:

• Like 1

Well done to Hancock. Not my Fav rider but he is adding to a superb 2016 series. The racing is top class, no one is safe in any race and we have the prospect of having half a dozen riders being able to win the title with a couple of GP's left.

With the odd exception we have the top 15 riders in the world competing and it makes for great racing in nearly every heat. Wild cards for 2017 could be a tricky process as some big names will finish out the 2016 top 8. The selection system may dilute the quality for 2017 ?.

Yes of course but what I mean is he beats those same riders he's against in the GP in the EL, e.g, Doyle, Holder, Magic, Kildemand, NKI, AJ, Lindgren.

However in the GP he doesn't always mix it with them.3 per race

In the EL he may come against one of these riders per race. In the GPs he is up against three per race. At the end of the day Bomber is a good EL rider and always gives 100%. He always rides very well in the WTC but, his lack of meetings in the Polish and Sweden Leagues tell there own story.

I will always respect and admire a racer and domestically Chris is one of the best we currently have.

Wow, never thought I would find myself quoting something you have written in agreement.

But absolutely, for me speedway should be about speedway racing (not speedway riding) and Chris Harris is a great racer. I just find it so hard to understand why he can't seem to do it on the SGP circuit when we know he has the ability.

In the EL he may come against one of these riders per race. In the GPs he is up against three per race. At the end of the day Bomber is a good EL rider and always gives 100%. He always rides very well in the WTC but, his lack of meetings in the Polish and Sweden Leagues tell there own story.

But last night is a prime example of where your argument falls down. In 2 races Chris was right on it, racing and competing. In the other 3 races he looked second class (well one of them he looked half on it, then dropped it).

WHY is that surprising? The beginning of the end of substantial national newspaper coverage of speedway in Britain came about because of the dominance of Denmark through the 1980s.

I can still remember calling back to the Daily Express (the paper I worked for) after yet another Denmark win and asking how much copy they wanted to be greeted by: "Not the bloody Danes again. Four pars will do." The writing was on the wall.

Of course Ekstrabladet will concentrate on the performance of the Danish riders.

And you had the yanks as well as the ra

ce-fixing scandal in the 80s.

WHY is that surprising? The beginning of the end of substantial national newspaper coverage of speedway in Britain came about because of the dominance of Denmark through the 1980s.

I can still remember calling back to the Daily Express (the paper I worked for) after yet another Denmark win and asking how much copy they wanted to be greeted by: "Not the bloody Danes again. Four pars will do." The writing was on the wall.

Of course Ekstrabladet will concentrate on the performance of the Danish riders.

And you had the yanks as well as the ra

ce-fixing scandal in the 80s.

Yes, but it gave room for the ref to make that judgement. I'm explaining not justifying.

In the old days, the ref sometimes used take into account earlier events a in a race - doesn't seem to happen these days. All NKI was guilty of was giving as good as he got, he just had the sense to back off when Nicki was hard on him....

Wow, never thought I would find myself quoting something you have written in agreement.

But absolutely, for me speedway should be about speedway racing (not speedway riding) and Chris Harris is a great racer. I just find it so hard to understand why he can't seem to do it on the SGP circuit when we know he has the ability.

But last night is a prime example of where your argument falls down. In 2 races Chris was right on it, racing and competing. In the other 3 races he looked second class (well one of them he looked half on it, then dropped it).

I think results don't lie and unfortunately for Bomber 7pts behind 14th place and 15pts behind 8th place after just three GP's. Two 2nds and three ducks from 5 rides does not in my opinion constitute 'right on it'

Well you had to get something right in the end. It's taken long enough. Having you agree with me is rather worrying. I must try harder.

So you don't agree that speedway can be a wonderful sport and the other times why I've explained why I love the sport? I may be concerned about some very serious errors being made but I certainly don't just post negative critique here.

Still resenting that I criticised your obsession over Nigel Person I guess. Very sad. Congratulations on getting it under control.

Sorry, the tolerance of posters like you has been completely exhausted.

I really enjoyed the meeting but then I come in here to share the joy and instead I find you. More fool me, eh?

Edited by rmc

I don't know what some people on here want from Chris Harris, he gets criticised every gp for basically doing what is expected of him.

So far this year he has beaten Doyle (twice), Zagar, Holder, Janowski, Kildemand and Iversen. All top riders in anyone's book.

I notice nobody criticizes these riders when they're beaten by him!

Didn't watch the GP at the weekend and although it seems from comments that many found it enjoyable I can't say I missed it. I'm just bored with the GP circus, Jonsson vs Pedersen or whatever, seems to have been the same old riders for years now and I couldn't care who wins. I think there are simply too many rounds and that makes each GP not particularly significant - shame, because it's a sport I love but I'd much rather be following a team or even GB in a test series.

• Like 1

Well you had to get something right in the end. It's taken long enough. Having you agree with me is rather worrying. I must try harder.

So you don't agree that speedway can be a wonderful sport and the other times why I've explained why I love the sport? I may be concerned about some very serious errors being made but I certainly don't just post negative critique here.

Still resenting that I criticised your obsession over Nigel Person I guess. Very sad. Congratulations on getting it under control.

Sorry, the tolerance of posters like you has been completely exhausted.

I really enjoyed the meeting but then I come in here to share the joy and instead I find you. More fool me, eh?

I was agreeing with something you said and you make it all personal... I was agreeing it was a good meeting and that I enjoy good racing. What is your problem man? I have clearly offended you in some past life. Fair enough if that's how we are going to play I see you're still you're living up to your name of Right Miserable C... (lets say chap) then.

I don't have a problem with anyone disagreeing with me, but rather than address my points you always make it personal about me. No problem bring it on... but please do try and address my points occasionally chap, they are valid, plenty of people agreed (some disagreed too but none so vile and personal as you, but that's fine).

Edited by TheReturn

Didn't watch the GP at the weekend and although it seems from comments that many found it enjoyable I can't say I missed it. I'm just bored with the GP circus, Jonsson vs Pedersen or whatever, seems to have been the same old riders for years now and I couldn't care who wins. I think there are simply too many rounds and that makes each GP not particularly significant - shame, because it's a sport I love but I'd much rather be following a team or even GB in a test series.

Yep.. fantastic racing, GP after GP from the worlds best riders.

Who'd want that.. you're right to be bored.

Same old riders? Yep.. Woffinden has been in it for years.. as has Zmarzlik.. Pawlicki, Doyle.

70's must have been awful, bet folk got sick of Olsen, Mauger etc

• Like 1