Nick Doncaster

Neil Middleditch

Peter and Louis Carr

Simon Stead

Ritchie Hawkins

Tommy Knudsen

Joe Haines

Billy Sanders

Steve 'Eccles' Holden - Ex Stoke and Oxford rider. Used to live in a caravan at the back of the pits at Oxford. Quite a character. He occasionally went round to my grandmother's for the occasional meal. If I recall he used to hang out with the likes of Peter Collins and the Morton brothers when they were all quite young. He just disappeared off the scene not long after joining Oxford after showing plenty of promise the previous year (1975) at Stoke.

Sadly no longer with us.

Found this video of the 1992 gold cup final Reading v Wolverhampton yesterday

(if the Racers had had a decent team manager they would have won that :lol: ) and reminded me that Sam`s brother Dukie was a decent rider on his day but never really fulfilled the potential.

Yes once upon a time the Racers had a good team manager:- Bob Radford wasn't it?

Found this video of the 1992 gold cup final Reading v Wolverhampton yesterday https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GuQSht3xZhQ (if the Racers had had a decent team manager they would have won that :lol: ) and reminded me that Sam`s brother Dukie was a decent rider on his day but never really fulfilled the potential.

Perhaps we should start a new thread...Who was the best Team Manager?

Yes once upon a time the Racers had a good team manager:- Bob Radford wasn't it?

Remember when Bob Radford became General Manager at Oxford in 1974 and left during the season! If I remember it all stemmed from the time that he advised Gordon Kennett not to make the trip to Cowley for a British League Bank Holiday Meeting against rivals Swindon because the forecast was bleak. However the meeting went ahead without Gordon (I think Alan Johns deputised?) and 'The Rebels' lost to arch rivals 'The Budgies'!

Whenever Bob Radford comments about Oxford there is always a certain amount of bitterness...but he never really fitted in at Cowley in my opinion and it wasn't a surprise that he moved on (a view echoed by the Promoters at the time).

Edited by steve roberts

Does it matter?

If I have posted something that doesn't matter to you,why reply,fool :P Course it doesn't matter,it was just a tongue in cheek post

If we go right back what about Sprout Elder?Did he reach his full potential or was maybe, his peak before speedway championships got going?

If I have posted something that doesn't matter to you,why reply,fool :P Course it doesn't matter,it was just a tongue in cheek post

If we go right back what about Sprout Elder?Did he reach his full potential or was maybe, his peak before speedway championships got going?

Don't have a hernia me old mucker just a bit of banter take a chill pill 😅 Edited by Sidney the robin
  • Like 1

On a world championship level I am surprised that certain riders didn't do more.

Chris Morton

Lance King

Tommy Knudsen

Henka Gustafsson

Phil Crump

Jan Andersson

Zenon Plech

Mikael Karlsson

The Moran brothers are a few in my opinion.

On a world championship level I am surprised that certain riders didn't do more.

Chris Morton

Lance King

Tommy Knudsen

Henka Gustafsson

Phil Crump

Jan Andersson

Zenon Plech

Mikael Karlsson

To make a post like this shows what you have said on another thread total crap when i see you post ever again F... ou !

Chris Morton

Lance King

Tommy Knudsen

Henka Gustafsson

Phil Crump

Jan Andersson

Zenon Plech

Mikael Karlsson

Chris Morton=rubbish gater, great overtaker.

Lance King=Not committed enough to the BL.

Tommy Knudsen=injured too much.

Henka Gustafsson=smoked too much

Phil Crump=too nice(unlike sonny boy.)

Jan Andersson=got a nose bleed when he left the inside

Zenon Plech=fastest rider in the world in 79(should've beaten Mauger.)

Mikael Karlsson=looked like taking over from Rickardsson, changed his name and went backwards.

Moran brothers=all the talent in the world, but enjoyed the sauce too much.

• 2 weeks later...

Jackson was my favourite ever NL rider,see him once at the brilliant Elesmere Port track a great team man like Steve Lawson a brilliant no 1 for a number of years.

Remember in 1976 when John Jackson was doubling for a Wolves 'select' side as they were known that year at White City. He was constantly anticipating the start that night much to the annoyance of the home crowd and was eventually warned of his conduct. Of course in those days there was slack control of the starts but some of his actions that night were quite blatant. Biased view? Yes! Wolves beat 'The Rebels' with, as I mentioned, a 'select' side containing both Reg Wilson and Mike Lanham as guests from what I can remember.

Brian Brett- retired far to early. For sure should have made the 1964 World final after leading the qualifiers for the British Final where there were 8 spots available for the qualification for the World Final.. Made the 1965 World Final-scored 9 points then retired 2 or 3 years later.