British Speedway Forum

Craig Cook Signs For Peterboro' In Prem League (double Downer)

I'm not aware of facts, but, for me, no rider on the EL heatleader list should be eligible to ride in the PL.

I'm making an assumption here that none do and that Cook is on it.

We should be trying to help our boys as much as we can, like Poland do, Gorzow still have Zmarzlik at reserve!!

I'm pretty sure that would be of more benefit to Gorzow than it is to Zmarzlik.

Disgraceful. The BSPA have an opportunity to enable a British rider to earn money to overcome his present financial difficulties and then hopefully be able to improve his machinery in Poland and by racing abroad move on to the next level. We are crying out for world class British riders, the rules allow Craig to double up but somehow the management committee have decided it is not in the best interests of the sport to allow him to do so. They have also denied another, Brit, Tom Stokes a team place.

The BSPA need to take an objective look at themselves and see how ridiculous they look making nonsensical decisions like this.

• Like 2

Disgraceful. The BSPA have an opportunity to enable a British rider to earn money to overcome his present financial difficulties and then hopefully be able to improve his machinery in Poland and by racing abroad move on to the next level. We are crying out for world class British riders, the rules allow Craig to double up but somehow the management committee have decided it is not in the best interests of the sport to allow him to do so. They have also denied another, Brit, Tom Stokes a team place.

The BSPA need to take an objective look at themselves and see how ridiculous they look making nonsensical decisions like this.

It's not ridiculous.

You talk about World Class riders. World class riders have no place in the lower league.

If Peterborough want to sign 'world class riders' then they should move up.

• Like 3

It's not ridiculous.

You talk about World Class riders. World class riders have no place in the lower league.

If Peterborough want to sign 'world class riders' then they should move up.

You clearly have no interest in British rider's.

Cook can't get a ride abroad and not for the want of trying. Him and his team have worked extremely hard to make that happen.

You're asking Cook to run a Speedway career on 28 EL league fixtures.

Think man ffs

• Like 1

He made a big commitment to his polish club this year and spent a lot of money in doing so and they've thrown it back in his face. He attend practice sessions and training matches also were he had top scored for his side but for strange reason they seem to pick people like tungate and Lahti ahead of him.

The BSPA are supposed to help British riders but in the case clearly not but its not just doing Craig out of a job but young Tom stokes who was supposed to come in at reserve also.

• Like 1

You clearly have no interest in British rider's.

Cook can't get a ride abroad and not for the want of trying. Him and his team have worked extremely hard to make that happen.

You're asking Cook to run a Speedway career on 28 EL league fixtures.

Think man ffs

He's an EL heatleader.

EL heatleaders do not belong in the lower league.

• Like 3

He's an EL heatleader.

You are right in theory , but the bottom line is that he has to earn a living, otherwise he won't be riding in any league for very long.

Having said that, there are riders of lesser ability than Craig who seem to get by with jobs in Poland and no PL , Max Fricke being an example of one. This is not a criticism of Craig, but I just wonder how some manage it and some don't. It is tough in Poland though, they are expected to turn up for practice etc and then don't get paid if they are not picked for the team.

• Like 1

So it's the rules that are wrong then!

Ellis is an EL heatleader now & he doesn't ride in the PL but NDL(2 leagues lower)

In Poland, therefore, this shows up where the squad system has faults

• Like 2

Teams drop brits for foreigners ten a penny, so the outcry now about the brits is a bit hypocritical imo, but its still a sh!te decision none the less.

You're right, but that's in that clubs interest to do that.

The issue here is that the BSPA have decided that interest, that is 100% wrong when Cooks move to the PL is legitimate

• Like 1

He's an EL heatleader.

Grajczonek, Wright, King, Lambert, Summers.....

And the best one is that Summers signed after the season started and has an average over 6 so how is that different?

I'm guessing this is the beginning of the end for Chapman. It's been a truly terrible rein as chairman. Whereas before there was a kind of benign incompetence Chapman has been able to squeeze in a full years worth of poor decisions into just two months.

Missing out on loan payments for the Dane was bad enough but the potential of The Aces benefiting was too much to take and led to this shocking outcome. I feel for young Craig I really do.

Keith Chapman you are an utter disgrace.

• Like 3

I'd like to know which part "isn't in the best interests of British speedway". Cook riding for Peterborough, or Cook riding in the PL?

Would also question if Woffinden's decision not to ride in the British Final, or the sport being run by a group who don't want to allow a British rider to have a place in a British team "is in the best interests of British speedway."

Grajczonek, Wright, King, Lambert, Summers.....

And the best one is that Summers signed after the season started and has an average over 6 so how is that different?

If any of those were on the heatleader list then I don't feel they should be in the PL either, apart from Lambert maybe who is still effectively a bit of a young newcomer.

All the 'interests' rule is for is when someone spots an opportunity within the other rules but certain members of the BSPA believe it's against their self interest and use it, with the connivance of their peers on the management committee, to put the blocks on, It's either that or the rulebook shot full of holes through imcompetence and 'interests' is needed to put a stop to something that they hadn't thought about before the season started. Or maybe even both.

• Like 2