British Speedway Forum

Craig Cook Signs For Peterboro' In Prem League (double Downer)

That MC member who had the "chat as a friend" was also the one that sent out total bull rubbish statement.

That MC member clearly has an agenda to make sure Cook couldn't sign for Peterborough. To which, the signing itself isn't against any BSPA regulations.

One thing Ged Rathbone certainly knows for sure now is that Rob Godfrey is no friends at all, just a back stabber

It certainly isn't a friend who decides to publicise a chat just to discredit Rathbones argument

If this move had been allowed to go through, it would have opened the floodgates for more of the same, it should not be allowed..

Double uppers/downers are bad for speedway, it is responsible for more guest riders, and if a double upper/downer gets injured, two teams are then missing a rider!!

Edited by Shale Searcher
  • Like 2

Came onto this threading thinking just how stupid it is for Cook to be riding in the PL, considering he is an EL heat leader. In no way should he be dropping down.

Now reading a few pages in, common sense has been used by the MC to block the move. It has upset the Peterborough promotion but tough. An EL heat leader should be nowhere near a PL team berth. Easy pickings and to make easy money. That's all this was.

Cook hasnt yet been picked to ride for his Polish club. They would never give him a berth if they see is after easy money.

BSPA MC are bang on the money with stopping the move IMO.

Absolutely agree. No place for Cook in the PL. can't see why some are moaning at the MC who have made the right call IMO.

Sweden let Andreas & THJ ride in div 2 when they were both in the GP's.

If it's so easy money in the Premier League why isn't Adam Ellis doing it?.

Oh forgot he gets even easier money riding in the National League.

• Like 2

For all this waffle on this thread the blame clearly sits with the Peterborough promotion. They were told by a member of the MC is a friendly conversation before the attempted signing that the signing would proably not be allowed.

Now common senseseems to be lacking from the Peterborough promotion. Rather than making a fanfare about the signing, then ending up throwing toys out of the pram, what he should have done was apply for the changes on the quiet, and waited for an answer.

A negative would have meant stay as you are and no one would be any the wiser, or a possitive and fanfare time. To do what he did, after advice from an MC member, and completely ignore it, shows naivety at best and stupidty at worst.

And the threats of pulling out are quite pathetic. The BSPA won't bow down to this type of behaviour, and rightly so.

Only people to blame here are the Peterborough promotion IMO. And why are these threads are blocking up the EL section? Its a PL issue so the mods should move them over.

i seem to remember the mc told matt ford to revert back to his previous 1-7, he didnt want too so he called a meeting off

• Like 1

And, if he'd of remained in the PL rather than try and break Poland there's no doubt Cook would have lined up for Edinburgh and Belle Vue

Yes there is - they are both Friday night clubs so it wouldn't have been allowed !

• Like 1

I can see the reasoning why the BSPA have blocked cookies move to Peterborough.But what gets me is that their reasoning is not consistent it seems that it is the home clashes and not the away clashes that seem to be the problem.

So whats the difference in the BSPA allowing their chairmans team to sign N K Iversen for the whole season as they know that he will miss several meetings.(quote from Kings Lynns web page.There will be matches when he is commited elsewhere and which he will need to fulfil so were aware we will need to cover for him on those occasions). They do not mention if any of the matches he will miss will be home meetings but if they are whats the difference between Nielsen's and Cookie's case.None what so ever and thats my problem with the BSPA one rule for one and one rule for another.

Surely they have said you can't double up if your race night clashes at pl and el level ..so far I can't see where that's been broken

Why what?

Why there is a doubt? Why they are both Friday night tracks or why it wouldn't be allowed?

It's quite easy really - he can't be in two places at the same time! :rolleyes:

No he can't be in 2 places at once, but he'd of been a D/U and Belle Vue may have ran with a partner with him. Someone like Simon Stead who isn't interested in full time Elite.

Similar to Lakeside with Kennett / Lawson

Edited by Danny Smith
  • Like 1

Just to pick up on a bit of Rob Godfrey's statement:

"You simply cannot sign a rider when he already rides for a club on your racenight. King's Lynn switched from a Wednesday to a Thursday and as a consequence they had to lose Lewis Kerr from their team as he was already signed to a Thursday night track."

This decision was made by the club and the rider jointly. This had absolutely nothing to do with BSPA directive that you can't have a home track on the same night. This came about because Lewis would have to priorities King's Lynn over Ipswich and would damage his earning potential.

So Rob, don't add things to statements that you have factually wrong just to back your argument.

As already stated, Dan Bewley rides for Belle Vue Colts & Edinburgh Monarchs. He missed the Scottish derby tonight to ride at the National Stadium.

Double standards

Come on then Mr Godfrey, answer this, but I bet you don't, and at the same time let us know why Iversen missing meetings for Lynn and the Stars having to use guests is hardly any different. If the BSPA want to cut down on guests then they shouldn't allow this either. But when it is the chairman's team!

• Like 1

No he can't be in 2 places at once, but he'd of been a D/U and Belle Vue may have ran with a partner with him. Someone like Simon Stead who isn't interested in full time Elite.

Similar to Lakeside with Kennett / Lawson

And why would BV only want him part-time when they signed him for full-time? If Peterborough want a new #1 then they will need to look elsewhere - Simples!

Perhaps he can't get a ride in Poland because they don't think he is good enough. Couldn't get through a fairly easy GP qualifier tonight at KL.

Nor could "wonder boy" Lambert on his home track so no shame there.

It's worth noting that the signing was not prevented due to fixture clashes. Cook could have been available to ride in EVERY Peterborough fixture and EVERY Belle Vue fixture, yet he would still not have been allowed to double down.

Yet Poole reserve Brady Kurtz qualified.

Perhaps after all this thread Cook should be in the PL.

Brady did well and I think you referring to the meeting as "a fairly easy gp qualifier" doesn't do justice to his achievement. Brady in my opinion is far better than a reserve and I don't see him being in that position for long - in fact on his average he would still be in the 1 - 5 of most teams - it's Adam Ellis's exceptional start to the season that has placed him there.

I don't think Cookie has raced himself into form this season yet but am sure he will and deserves his EL Team place remembering his performances last year. I suppose you noticed that he had a fall in the KL meeting when 1 point would have placed him level with Brady

and resulted in a race off between them. Whereas I was delighted to see he beat Lambert (not a fav of mine) in their race off I would have felt differently with a CookKurtz race off as I like them both. I would be very happy to see either of them double down in my team but sadly looks unlikely to happen.

who is the current Australian champion so pretty poor he just scraped through really. And you bang on that Ellis is a false heat leader and you damn well know Kurtz is a false reserve.

Kurtz only qualified because lambert missed out due to ef.

Kurtz was also gifted a point due to kk crashing, otherwise would have finished on 8 like cook.

Calling this a weak field is harsh when it is the strongest of the 4th quarter finals.

Kurtz will go on to be a better rider than cook, but at the current time I would much rather have cook in my team than Kurtz.

Why what?

Why there is a doubt? Why they are both Friday night tracks or why it wouldn't be allowed?

It's quite easy really - he can't be in two places at the same time! :rolleyes:

But Bewley can apparently, its a made up rule because it doesnt suit some clubs

• Like 1