British Speedway Forum

Craig Cook Signs For Peterboro' In Prem League (double Downer)

I understand that he has lost £££££'s with no home fixtures at Belle Vue, and needs to recoup lost earnings, but, is it right? But is dropping down into the 2nd tier of UK speedway to make up lost earnings the right way to go? And is it legal? I thought there was a rule introduced that was supposed to block this sort of move?

Would it not have been the pertinent to try and get rides in Sweden or Denmark?

Dropping down to the PL is not going to benefit his skill set, he's to strong for the PL, it's like teenager who has left school and gone to college, but still visits his old school to pillage the kids dinner money!!

Thought there was a 2 year maximum stay in the PL when you are also riding Elite League.....?

Your feelings on this subject good people of the British Speedway Forum....

Craig had a team place in Poland. Turns up for every practice session but they refused to pick him on race Sunday. This is the reason he's gone to Peterborough. Nothing to do with the lack of racing for Belle Vue as such.

He has tried to get into Sweden but has yet to receive an offer

Is it allowed, yes because he was a PL rider last season and the rules state you can miss a season then drop back down if required or be within the set average. He could have a 12 point EL average and still ride PL

• Like 2

No idea whether it's within the rules but if it's not it should be. He is British, this is Britain and I'd far rather see him get a place than a foreigner.

Absolutely right. Just riding Elite League certainly isn't good for a British rider's career

Absolutely right. Just riding Elite League certainly isn't good for a British rider's career

and will only get worse if certain GP riders get their way :mad:

It's time the GP riders were told either ride or clear off and stop trying to bully us into doing stuff that will only benefit you. BSPA have to protect the British riders cos no one else will. If the schedule is that tough why do they ride in stuff like the Best Pairs :wink:

• Like 8

It's time the GP riders were told either ride or clear off and stop trying to bully us into doing stuff that will only benefit you. BSPA have to protect the British riders cos no one else will. If the schedule is that tough why do they ride in stuff like the Best Pairs :wink:

Money. Personally I've long been of the opinion that we should go our own way and anyone not turning up because he is riding elsewhere (for ANY reason) should have to be replaced with a rider from the draft.

• Like 1

Best pairs is basically a meaningless meeting, but does carry very good prize money, thats why they ride in it..

• Like 1

Craig had a team place in Poland. Turns up for every practice session but they refused to pick him on race Sunday. This is the reason he's gone to Peterborough. Nothing to do with the lack of racing for Belle Vue as such.

He has tried to get into Sweden but has yet to receive an offer

Is it allowed, yes because he was a PL rider last season and the rules state you can miss a season then drop back down if required or be within the set average. He could have a 12 point EL average and still ride PL

ALL British riders should be allowed to ride in both leagues.

• Like 4

Gotta give it to Craig for trying to push his career onwards by trying to get contracts abroad a dc what a shame they aren't giving him any meetings.

He has no choice to go back to the PL to earn money and I'm sure he knows it's a backward step.

But what else is the lad to do?

He has an established PL average from last year so I see no issue and thank god we aren't blocking him from moving back down because then we are punishing someone for trying to move their career forward. How wrong would that be?

Thank god for British riders like Craig who actually wants to progress instead of the safe option of staying doubling up/down.

• Like 5

Gotta give it to Craig for trying to push his career onwards by trying to get contracts abroad a dc what a shame they aren't giving him any meetings.

He has no choice to go back to the PL to earn money and I'm sure he knows it's a backward step.

But what else is the lad to do?

He has an established PL average from last year so I see no issue and thank god we aren't blocking him from moving back down because then we are punishing someone for trying to move their career forward. How wrong would that be?

Thank god for British riders like Craig who actually wants to progress instead of the safe option of staying doubling up/down.

Full article in today's Speedway Star explains.

To Be fair, it's not just the GP guys turning their backs on British Speedway is it?

Greg Zengota

Leon Madsen

Jan Kołodziej

Tomas H. Jonasson

Martin Vaculik

Rune Holta

Kenneth Bjerre

Adrian Miedziński

Mikael Max

Piotr Protasiewicz

Vaclav Milik

Peter Ljung

Kacper Gomólski

Magnus Zetterstroem

Timo Lahti

Peter Karlsson

Linus Sundstroem

Kauko Nieminen

Jonas Davidsson

That list would make a huge difference the the current standard of the EL that aren't GP riders. Why do they not want to be here?

Maybe so,but it was his decision to give Britain a miss.!

He didn't give Britain a miss, he rides for Belle Vue. He gave the PL a miss to better himself. It hasn't worked so rightly so been given a PL slot to fill the diary

ALL British riders should be allowed to ride in both leagues.

Can't argue with that.

That's the reason the Elite League SHOULD be 1 or 2 nights a week (Monday / Thursday) & try to get the bigger riders back, then all the British riders that don't race abroad can join the PL.

• Like 2

To Be fair, it's not just the GP guys turning their backs on British Speedway is it?

No but they are the ones making all the noise. I just think there are far more British riders who want the same number if not more meetings than there are who want less. Being patriotic I side with them. For too long the UK have bent over backwards to accommodate foreigners and we are now seeing the result which is a dearth of up and coming Brits. The tide has to turn.

I'm probably in the minority but I'd far rather see a young Brit struggle at the start of a season but make reasonable progression by the end, than a mediocre foreigner who ends the season on the same or lower average.

• Like 5

I ha

Greg Zengota

Leon Madsen

Jan Kołodziej

Tomas H. Jonasson

Martin Vaculik

Rune Holta

Kenneth Bjerre

Adrian Miedziński

Mikael Max

Piotr Protasiewicz

Vaclav Milik

Peter Ljung

Kacper Gomólski

Magnus Zetterstroem

Timo Lahti

Peter Karlsson

Linus Sundstroem

Kauko Nieminen

Jonas Davidsson

That list would make a huge difference the the current standard of the EL that aren't GP riders. Why do they not want to be here?

He didn't give Britain a miss, he rides for Belle Vue. He gave the PL a miss to better himself. It hasn't worked so rightly so been given a PL slot to fill the diary

Can't argue with that.

That's the reason the Elite League SHOULD be 1 or 2 nights a week (Monday / Thursday) & try to get the bigger riders back, then all the British riders that don't race abroad can join the PL.

I have no complaints regarding him coming back to PL,all I saying is it was his choice,he felt he could not go any further in PL terms,but now he needs money so PL is his easy option,as nobody else wants him abroad.Like I said in another post there are plenty riders of Cooks standard abroad.

No but they are the ones making all the noise. I just think there are far more British riders who want the same number if not more meetings than there are who want less. Being patriotic I side with them. For too long the UK have bent over backwards to accommodate foreigners and we are now seeing the result which is a dearth of up and coming Brits. The tide has to turn.

I'm probably in the minority but I'd far rather see a young Brit struggle at the start of a season but make reasonable progression by the end, than a mediocre foreigner who ends the season on the same or lower average.

I just think that if we rid the EL of top rider's or the average foreigner it gives our up and coming youngsters false hope of how good they are. It will send British speedway backwards.

Olly Allen & Simon Stead nailed it on the podcast this morning, if the young Brits are good enough they'll get a team sport

• Like 2

Greg Zengota

Leon Madsen

Jan Kołodziej

Tomas H. Jonasson

Martin Vaculik

Rune Holta

Kenneth Bjerre

Adrian Miedziński

Mikael Max

Piotr Protasiewicz

Vaclav Milik

Peter Ljung

Kacper Gomólski

Magnus Zetterstroem

Timo Lahti

Peter Karlsson

Linus Sundstroem

Kauko Nieminen

Jonas Davidsson

There's been a 100 threads on this. Riders will not come back to this country because A, the travelling involved, and B why should they come here and earn a pittance compared with what they get in Sweden Poland and in some cases the GP's. It won't happen mate not now or never, it doesn't matter what this country does..

There's been a 100 threads on this. Riders will not come back to this country because A, the travelling involved, and B why should they come here and earn a pittance compared with what they get in Sweden Poland and in some cases the GP's. It won't happen mate not now or never, it doesn't matter what this country does..

This thread has wandered off topic already!!

It's meant to be about Craig Cook doubling down now with Peterboro'!

Not a list of riders who don't want UK Elite League!!!

• Like 1

This thread has wandered off topic already!!

It's meant to be about Craig Cook doubling down now with Peterboro'!

Not a list of riders who don't want UK Elite League!!!

Did i put that list up ?

You're probably right but I don't think it'd be the right thing for British Speedway to close the door on Europe's best just to give Brits Elite rides. It would be a backward step