British Speedway Forum

Poole Pirates 1969

BL65

John Hack? Wasn't he Georg Hack.s brother? Georg had very fast bikes when he rode for the Witches in 1978 & 1979 - he just had trouble controlling the speed and the power on a tight little track like Foxhall, I remember John Louis borrowed one of Georg's bikes in the 2nd Half of a meeting and, interviewed afterwards, JL said something like:- Georg described the bike as "schnell" which JL thought translated as 'snail' and the bike was therefore slow, but blooming heck it was fast. Believe Georg is running a personal fitness business or similar these days and the Spiller boys are training with him - may be wrong on that though.

John Hack is Mancunian and therefore almost certainly not related to the German Georg Hack. ;)

Interviewed John Hack three times in the last five years. Smashing chap, who is back to around 90-95%, despite the injuries that so nearly killed him.

All the best

Rob

Edited by lucifer sam
  • Like 2

John Hack is Manucian and therefore almost certainly not related to the German Georg Hack. ;)

Interviewed John Hack three times in the last five years. Smashing chap, who is back to around 90-95%, despite the injuries that so nearly killed him.

All the best

Rob

Really Rob? I'm sure that when Georg was interviewed over the Foxhall PA in 1978 that he sounded decidedly Mancunian in his dialect. Teutonic Mancunian, but no doubt a Manc.

What's that you say? Munich? Not Manc? Oh dear, my sense of humour does not sit well with you does it Rob....? :rofl:

Best not to look at some of my other posts in the Days of Yore side of the Forum - particularly the banter about the proposed Clacton-o- Sea track...

Keep smiling :lol: .

• Like 1

Really Rob? I'm sure that when Georg was interviewed over the Foxhall PA in 1978 that he sounded decidedly Mancunian in his dialect. Teutonic Mancunian, but no doubt a Manc.

What's that you say? Munich? Not Manc? Oh dear, my sense of humour does not sit well with you does it Rob....? :rofl:

Best not to look at some of my other posts in the Days of Yore side of the Forum - particularly the banter about the proposed Clacton-o- Sea track...

Keep smiling :lol: .

That's a relief, I was concerned you actually thought John Hack was German :D

All the best

Rob

That's a relief, I was concerned you actually thought John Hack was German :D

All the best

Rob

About as German as the Queen I guess.

What's that you say? Windsor is a made up name and the family name is Saxe-Coburg? That must mean that King Georg(e) Hack was from Manchester then.....?

• Like 1

Long Eaton finished bottom of the NL in 1983, won the league in 1984.

West Ham came bottom in '64 and in the inaugural BL season '65 they did the treble, the League, the London Cup and the KO cup. Almost certainly the last club that will ever achieve that.

Was that the equivalent to Phileas Fogg (the rich English gentleman, not a bag of crisps) circumcising the world in 80 days back in Victorian times, .

I think you might mean Phileas Fogg was circumnavigating the world ! I don't think he was Jewish ! Edited by Daytripper
  • Like 2

As a matter of interest I can't remember when the points limit was first introduced? 1980?

The points limit was introduced in 1977 after the combination of Ole Olsen, Charles Ochiltree, Ian Thomas and Brian Larner drove a coach and horses right through the old Rider Control regulations.

They were two tier regulations as well. An upper limit of 52 points a team and your heat leaders couldn't exceed 27 points (three 9 pointers). Reading fell foul of these rules and had to release a rider, Boleslaw Proch, as it turned out, to Leicester, and they received the Lions' Doug Underwood in return. Whether or not it weakened the Racers is open to debate, as they finished third in the BL, two points behind champions White City, and level with fast finishers Exeter, but with an inferior points difference.

As far as I can remember, the same rules applied in 1978, but were dropped for the overall 50 point limit (including bonus points) for 1979.

• Like 1