British Speedway Forum

Poole Pirates 1969

BL65

Today the media is full of the achievement of Leicester City F.C. in winning the Premier League after fighting relegation the season before. Back in 1969 Poole Pirates achieved something similar. Having finished 17th in a league of 19 teams in 1968, just one point ahead of the bottom two teams, the Pirates became British League champions in 1969, finishing 6 points ahead of runners-up Belle Vue.

There were two changes to the team from 1969, Gordon Guasco, having last ridden for Wolverhampton in 1966, returned from Australia to replace Bill Andrew and Frank Shuter joined from Swindon to replace Tim Bungay. Gordon's 1966 average was about half a point a match below Bill's 1968 average and Frank achieved about half a point a match above Tim's average, so the team was not exactly strengthened. However, 5 of the team upped their 1968 figures, with big improvements from Pete Smith, Geoff Mudge and Bruce Cribb in particular.

Has there ever been a more dramatic improvement in the fortunes of a speedway team?

• Like 2

Today the media is full of the achievement of Leicester City F.C. in winning the Premier League after fighting relegation the season before. Back in 1969 Poole Pirates achieved something similar. Having finished 17th in a league of 19 teams in 1968, just one point ahead of the bottom two teams, the Pirates became British League champions in 1969, finishing 6 points ahead of runners-up Belle Vue.

There were two changes to the team from 1969, Gordon Guasco, having last ridden for Wolverhampton in 1966, returned from Australia to replace Bill Andrew and Frank Shuter joined from Swindon to replace Tim Bungay. Gordon's 1966 average was about half a point a match below Bill's 1968 average and Frank achieved about half a point a match above Tim's average, so the team was not exactly strengthened. However, 5 of the team upped their 1968 figures, with big improvements from Pete Smith, Geoff Mudge and Bruce Cribb in particular.

Has there ever been a more dramatic improvement in the fortunes of a speedway team?

A very compact team. The top five riders had averages within the nine and seven point mark.

That Poole side in 1969 was a pretty special one, most of the Poole sides i saw apart from a few with Simmo in them were pretty weak.The Robins rode regular against the Pirates i think it was the Champagne Stakes? probably wrong.So really before the Ford era Poole were pretty moderate apart from a few years.The best sides i have ever seen are the Belle Vue side 72/3 sides and that special Adams Cradley side when Ravn came in.

Edited by Sidney the robin

The Pirates always seemed to be riding against The Robins in some sort of fixture around that time. I remember a strong all-round side that included Odd Fossengen?. Rare title win for Poole between 65-85 when teams such as Belle Vue, Coventry, Reading, Ipswich were dominant forces in the British League.

• Like 1

The Pirates always seemed to be riding against The Robins in some sort of fixture around that time. I remember a strong all-round side that included Odd Fossengen?. Rare title win for Poole between 65-85 when teams such as Belle Vue, Coventry, Reading, Ipswich were dominant forces in the British League.

Remember for a period Swindon riding Poole/Newport a lot think Swindon rode Newport in the Severn bridge trophy.? Newport who over the years had Crumpy,Streety,Mudge,Trigg, Big Jim Tebby,Coles, Eide riding for them great days. Edited by Sidney the robin
  • Like 1

1969 was my first full season watching the sport. Saw Poole get beat at Cradley early in the season, but was then lucky enough to be at Wimborne Road later in the season (we were on holiday in Bournemouth) when the Pirates beat Glasgow. By then they were close to clinching the title. Mudge, Smith, Fossengen, Cribb, Guasco, Laessing and Shuter can still remember the great atmosphere that night.

Long Eaton finished bottom of the NL in 1983, won the league in 1984.

Yes, another remarkable transformation, with a rare honour for a team who so often had finished well down the league table over the years. Dave Perks was in the Long Eaton team at that time and I recall he was one of my girlfriend's favourite riders, along with Terry Betts, in the early half of the 1970s. Dave was part of a very strong Cradley Heath squad in 1979 and enjoyed some highly successful seasons with Long Eaton and Oxford.

Romford Bombers who didn't exist in 1968, finished third in British League Division Two in 1969.

Ipswich Witches - didn't exist in 1968 - eleventh in BL2 in 1969 - sixth in BL2 in 1970 & BL2 Cup Winners - third in BL2 in 1971 & BL2 Cup winners - sixth in the BL in 1972.

macca56, on 04 May 2016 - 12:49 AM, said:

Romford Bombers who didn't exist in 1968, finished third in British League Division Two in 1969.

Ipswich Witches - didn't exist in 1968 - eleventh in BL2 in 1969 - sixth in BL2 in 1970 & BL2 Cup Winners - third in BL2 in 1971 & BL2 Cup winners - sixth in the BL in 1972.

If you want to go down that route don't forget Ellesmere Port - closed in 83 & 84, won the NL in 85, then closed never to be seen again.

• Like 2

If you want to go down that route don't forget Ellesmere Port - closed in 83 & 84, won the NL in 85, then closed never to be seen again.

I didn't really Dave, but I didn't have anything else to contribute (not for the first or last time) so I'm just pleased that you carried it on from my post and raised me - as they say in some card game or other - with Ellesmere Port's notable exploits :t: .

OK then, as the OP was referring to LCFC''s fantastic achievements, I'll counter bid with, Ipswich Town FC:

1960-61 = promoted as Champions from Football League Division 2;

1961-62 = Crowned Champions of Division 1;

1962/63 = finished 17th in Division 1;

1963/64 = relegated after finishing 22nd and bottom of Division 1 - (some would say, unkindly maybe, never to be seen again, and currently mired in the second tier for a 15th consecutive season).

Edited by macca56
  • Like 1

Remember seeing Odd Fossengen's crash at Oxford that ended his career. A classic case of first bend bunching when Toni Woryna (in those days it was rare having a Pole ride in Britain!) drift slightly off line into the path of Ulf Lovaas who 'got off' his bike which collected poor Odd and deposited him in the fence. He suffered a badly broken leg and never rode again.

Yes, another remarkable transformation, with a rare honour for a team who so often had finished well down the league table over the years. Dave Perks was in the Long Eaton team at that time and I recall he was one of my girlfriend's favourite riders, along with Terry Betts, in the early half of the 1970s. Dave was part of a very strong Cradley Heath squad in 1979 and enjoyed some highly successful seasons with Long Eaton and Oxford.

Dave Perks a very classy act when at Oxford. The first rider to circumnavigate Cowley at 62 seconds.

Edited by steve roberts
  • Like 1

That Poole side in 1969 was a pretty special one, most of the Poole sides i saw apart from a few with Simmo in them were pretty weak.The Robins rode regular against the Pirates i think it was the Champagne Stakes? probably wrong.So really before the Ford era Poole were pretty moderate apart from a few years.The best sides i have ever seen are the Belle Vue side 72/3 sides and that special Adams Cradley side when Ravn came in.

Yes I would agree with the Cradley Heath side of 1983. Strong all the way thru' filled with riders capable of beating many opposition riders. Together with the 1972 Belle Vue side probably the two most potent 1-7 teams that I saw before serious points limit legislation and compulsory junior requirements became the norm. As a matter of interest I can't remember when the points limit was first introduced? 1980? I remember it being pretty high in it's formative years (Cradley 1983 for example) before it was reduced to 48,46 and 45 etc over subsequent years.

Edited by steve roberts

Yes I would agree with the Cradley Heath side of 1983. Strong all the way thru' filled with riders capable of beating many opposition riders. Together with the 1972 Belle Vue side probably the two most potent 1-7 teams that I saw before serious points limit legislation and compulsory junior requirements became the norm. As a matter of interest I can't remember when the points limit was first introduced? 1980? I remember it being pretty high in it's formative years (Cradley 1983 for example) before it was reduced to 48,46 and 45 etc over subsequent years.

The Cradley Heath team from around May/June 1979 would have been potent if it had not been broken up, with heat leaders Penhall, Bastable and Alan Grahame, second strings Gundersen and Praestbro, together with reserves Phil Collins and Schwartz. Dave Perks made a few appearances as number 8 and he would have graced any top league team at the time.

• Like 1

The Cradley Heath team from around May/June 1979 would have been potent if it had not been broken up, with heat leaders Penhall, Bastable and Alan Grahame, second strings Gundersen and Praestbro, together with reserves Phil Collins and Schwartz. Dave Perks made a few appearances as number 8 and he would have graced any top league team at the time.

I saw this team at Eastbourne early in 1979 and indeed they were a strong team (I think Les Rumsey rode that afternoon for 'The Heatherns?') All the riders averaging above the seven point mark. Of course Dan McCormack went and upset the applecart and fell out with Steve Bastable who I think broke his ankle (?) and eventually moved to Birmingham...and McCormack soon followed!

I saw this team at Eastbourne early in 1979 and indeed they were a strong team (I think Les Rumsey rode that afternoon for 'The Heatherns?') All the riders averaging above the seven point mark. Of course Dan McCormack went and upset the applecart and fell out with Steve Bastable who I think broke his ankle (?) and eventually moved to Birmingham...and McCormack soon followed!

There was a great deal of juggling in the early part of the 1979 season as the Cradley Heath 'squad' was rotated because of the points limit. As was the case in a few seasons, averages dipped sufficiently for the top seven to be tracked at the same time when the new set of figures was produced after a few weeks.

There was a great deal of juggling in the early part of the 1979 season as the Cradley Heath 'squad' was rotated because of the points limit. As was the case in a few seasons, averages dipped sufficiently for the top seven to be tracked at the same time when the new set of figures was produced after a few weeks.

Yes I remember now! Towards the end of the season Ila Teromaa was signed from Leicester which, if I recall, unbalanced the make-up of the team in 1980. I think they never had a settled reserve department starting the 1980 season declaring two juniors? Dave Perks was one of those choices but unfortunately picked up a serious injury whilst riding for Cradley...which stuffed my team Oxford for the remainder of the season! Another Cradley rider, John Hack who was also on loan to Oxford, also picked up a career ending injury whilst riding for parent club Cradley (I think that he had been re-called mid season?) I don't have particular good memories of the tie up between Cradley and Oxford during those years. In fact we 'lost' Dave Perks eventually to another McCormack track Nottingham!

Edited by steve roberts

Dave Perks a very classy act when at Oxford. The first rider to circumnavigate Cowley at 62 seconds.

Was that the equivalent to Phileas Fogg (the rich English gentleman, not a bag of crisps) circumcising the world in 80 days back in Victorian times, Steve?

Another Cradley rider, John Hack who was also on loan to Oxford, also picked up a career ending injury whilst riding for parent club Cradley (I think that he had been re-called mid season?)

John Hack? Wasn't he Georg Hack.s brother? Georg had very fast bikes when he rode for the Witches in 1978 & 1979 - he just had trouble controlling the speed and the power on a tight little track like Foxhall, I remember John Louis borrowed one of Georg's bikes in the 2nd Half of a meeting and, interviewed afterwards, JL said something like:- Georg described the bike as "schnell" which JL thought translated as 'snail' and the bike was therefore slow, but blooming heck it was fast. Believe Georg is running a personal fitness business or similar these days and the Spiller boys are training with him - may be wrong on that though.

• Like 1

Hackney, bottom in 79, second in 80.

Just to add, I think what made the 'transformation' more remarkable was Hackney were technically weaker in 1980.

We'd lost Bobby McNeil, who was a solid second string. He was badly affected by Vic Harding's death and retired at the end of 79.

We signed unknown Pole Roman Jankowski who was a real star and came second in 'the newcomer of the year award,' to Tony Briggs, (bloody Reading again!)

That was the only change to the previous years line-up, and it was fair to say that Finn Thomsen, Zenon Plech, Barry Thomas and Keith White had reached their peak, with only Bo Petersen and Sean Willmott still improving.

I still think back fondly to that year, and it was the (nearly) perfect pick-me-up to the trauma of 79.