British Speedway Forum

Tai's Training Schools

GOOD for him (note they are not for Australians!) ...

WORLD Speedway Champion Tai Woffinden wants to help a new generation of British youngsters realise their dream.

Woffinden has revealed plans for a series of training schools he is planning throughout the UK later this year.

The Scunthorpe-born racer insists there are some talented young riders waiting to surge onto the scene and take to the sport’s big stage.

He’s also revealed how he has held positive discussions with British Speedway Promoters’ Association Chairman Keith Chapman about the project.

“I’m planning to hold a series of Tai Woffinden training schools for British youngsters through the summer,” he said.

“Over the last 10-years I’ve learnt loads, probably quicker than a lot of guys I started out with, and I would like to pass that on – I want to work with the kids because they are the future of the sport in our country.

“I’ve spoken to Keith Chapman, the new Chairman of British Speedway, and he welcomes my ideas which is great.

“It’s something I’m interested in doing and new projects like this always excite me.

We may set an age limit of 21, we may also do a classroom session as part of the day to discuss fitness and diet.

“I’m looking at three different tracks, King’s Lynn being one of them, and work at tracks a different shape and size to vary the experience and learning for the kids.

“The final dates, venues and cost will be confirmed in due course, but I really look forward to working with the young British riders.

“I know the BSPA are doing some great work alongside Olly Allen and the guys at Poultec and I’m really positive about the direction we’re taking. Running my own training days just allows me to give something back myself and give some personal tuition.”

• Like 4

Certainly not going to put the man down for wanting to give something back & nurture the future of British speedway. The age cap is a prudent idea and perhaps best to limit to those riding 500cc machines as that is where the majority of Tai's knowledge will lay?

My concern is the word "cost" in the statement. If you want to give something the give it don't charge for it. Im not directing or implying that there is any profiteering going on but it would be lovely to read that the stadiums involved offer the use of facilities free of charge, Tai shares his wisdom free of charge & the riders benefit rather than pay for the privilege.

Without knowing the full details there may not even be any costs........However all in all it sounds like a tremendous oppotunity for some and even if just a couple of riders benefit it can only be good for British speedway.

• Like 1

Anti Tai folk will struggle to suck this one up. Again, delivering on his promise to help British Speedway.

Legend :t::drink:

enjoy kissing Tai's arse , until the " cost " is released , then get ready for the barrage you are going to get ..

• Like 2

exactly. If he wanted to "GIVE something back", he could turn up at Poultec or any of the other training schools and pass on his knowledge free gratis.

While I understand exactly your point, I also think it was wise to mention right from the start that it might cost something. Even if it's just 50. It's pretty hard to organise anything for free these days.

Stop moaning and congratulate him on a positive initiative.

When posters can't even acknowledge a positive within a subject then their arguments against are null and void.

It's purely and simply, bitterness. That becomes quite sad frankly

• Like 2

When posters can't even acknowledge a positive within a subject then their arguments against are null and void.

It's purely and simply, bitterness. That becomes quite sad frankly

I have nothing against Tai as such, I enjoy watching him racing in Poland if only for his team riding skills which are sadly missing in the UK. I just don't much like his attitude in recent years.

You have to admit that to say he doesn't want to ride in the British Final which would take two days in case he suffers burn out slightly contradicts an announcement that he is giving up more than one day (as series of schools is plural) for a training school. It may well be that whoever does his publicity isn't the best at wording things :P.

Far be it from me to suggest that the schools will be more lucrative than the British Final :wink:

If youngsters are willing to fork out for his training school, instead of other more established ones, just because he is World Champion that's their perogative, however just because someone is a master of his trade does not mean they can teach others. Technique can be taught, talent cannot. As for fitness and diet, I wan't aware he had any qualifications in that area. What suits Tai and works for him may well not work for other people.

Edited by Star Lady
  • Like 3

Well done Tai Woffinden. From the amount of posts on this thread compared to his British Championship antics, it's clear to see people are happier to complain and slag off riders rather than hand out praise. Excellent work from Tai, hopefully a couple of youngsters will see the long term benefits.

• Like 2

Some people on here criticise everything and are very sad people. All you want to do is slag people off. Why not stop being so mean minded and look for the positives for a change.

Why shouldn't there be a cost ? A track will have to be hired, safety equipment, first aiders, classroom. As a World Champion why shouldn't he be allowed to earn money (if that is the case, maybe it's break even ?) from training schools. It happens in all other sports where top pro's teach kids.

Give the Champion some credit as he is doing good work to help the younger Brits progress. That can only be good. Well done Tai for getting on with the job and also for shutting out the crazy criticism from keyboard warriors who are lacking intelligence.

Edited by marky
  • Like 6

How come he hasn't got time for 2 mtgs for the British Championship but can manage multiple dates for this ?

A very good question indeed. This venture probably suits him - lots of potential publicity for him could materialise. He's already getting some by just making the announcement.

Edited by Guest

It's never going to be free, tracks, insurance, permits and first aid all cost money. Give the lad credit for trying to bring some extra experience to youngsters starting out their career. Tai was obviously taught well by his dad and seems like he would be able to pass his knowledge on. He is doing something positive but some people will never give him any credit, he's British and on top of the World so obviously many of his countrymen will be wanting to knock him down.

It's nothing to compare with bringing over bikes and mechanics for two meetings where if he doesn't win he'll be accused of not giving 100% by the same posters anyway.

• Like 7

How come he hasn't got time for 2 mtgs for the British Championship but can manage multiple dates for this ?

He only has to worry about himself for this project.

Bringing bikes and mechanics over here twice must be expensive. Its a business not a game.

Why not support the idea instead of trying to find fault. Pathetic attitude.

Edited by marky