British Speedway Forum

Hackney 1988

Dave Stummings

I see old Hackney Speedway are reliving the 1988 season with programme notes in full from each match and the Kestrel News to. Can't believe that was 26 years ago. I didn’t keep my programmes or Kestrel News from this era so it brings back great memories. I wait each Friday just like I used to read the programme and Kestrel News and especially Birdbrains column!

http://www.hackneyspeedway.com

• Like 1

A full British Team! How times have changed and not for the better. One of my main gripes regarding modern speedway is the number of foreigners that now fill team places.

When my team (Oxford) won the league in 1985 we started the season with four Englishman, two Danes and an Australian (with the occasional help of a West German)

In 1986 five Englishman and two Danes.

In 1989 five Englishman, a Dane and an Australian.

However in 2001 we had one Englishman, three Australians, one Dane and two Czechs. How times had changed and a reflection in the direction that British Speedway was heading.

That's a brilliant web-site and thanks for sharing it here. I have Mike Western's book 'Seven Men For One Season' which is a great little read. I think it really knocked the stuffing out of speedway when Hackney closed.

And yes, Steve, a full British team (although some would point out Loram's birthplace). For success using local talent, would any match one of Hackney's old sparring partners though?

Ipswich 1975 and 1976 = 5 from Ipswich, 1 from Suffolk + 1 novice Australian, then

Ipswich 1984 = 4 from the East of England, 1 Australian, 1 American and a Finn, then

Ipswich 1998 = 3 from Ipswich, 1 Swede, 1 Pole and a Czech

and now....

Ipswich 2016 = 4 Englishmen (none from Suffolk), 1 Dane, 1 Argentinian and an Italian

• Like 1

It was strange to have a team of Englishmen in 84 after being brought up with foreigners in the British League (there's a contradiction in terms!) It was certainly a shame to lose Bo Petersen (surely Hackney's best ever rider?)

Of course we had Thommo to help with the transition, but we hadn't a clue about the other six!

After such a great 88 it was a sickener to lose three of our stars to Ipswich, (or the Twitches as Birdbrain used to call them!)

Losing Loram was especially daunting although we did replace him with the only rider who could replace him in Steve Schofield who was absolutely brilliant.

I always felt sorry for 'Schoey' because Hackney won in 88 when he rode for Poole, and Poole won the league in 89 and 90 when he rode for Hackney!

• Like 2

It was strange to have a team of Englishmen in 84 after being brought up with foreigners in the British League (there's a contradiction in terms!) It was certainly a shame to lose Bo Petersen (surely Hackney's best ever rider?)

Of course we had Thommo to help with the transition, but we hadn't a clue about the other six!

After such a great 88 it was a sickener to lose three of our stars to Ipswich, (or the Twitches as Birdbrain used to call them!)

Losing Loram was especially daunting although we did replace him with the only rider who could replace him in Steve Schofield who was absolutely brilliant.

I always felt sorry for 'Schoey' because Hackney won in 88 when he rode for Poole, and Poole won the league in 89 and 90 when he rode for Hackney!

I always thought that Bo Petersen was a very under-rated rider. Saw him during one of his very early meetings riding for Hackney (1978) at Wood Lane and also the return fixture later that same day and thought that he had something special. He didn't always have to rely on his gating either and had a super style for someone who was rather on the tall side. I think that I am correct in saying that he was the rider who inspired Andrew Silver the most? He retired far too early in my opinion but I felt that he had lost interest and decided to develop business interests back home in Denmark.

Edited by steve roberts
  • Like 1

The 'Agony Awks' versus the 'Twitches', one of the great rivalries in speedway, fuelled by the verbal sparring between Messrs Silver and Berry that bubbled up from Len's Rayleigh involvement to almost boiling over into something nasty. Gee, they were good times. Ipswich nearly always seemed to ride well at Waterden Road and had a better than 50% win ratio there. A great race-track, but possibly a dangerous race-circuit with the lamp-standards and solid wooden fence poles. Would H&S allow it these days? I'm sure that the track and the club's history have been discussed on other threads, and this one was created to discuss the 1988 team, but what a great place it was to enjoy everything about speedway 'back then' and, as I said in my previous post, when Hackney closed it seemed to knock the stuffing out of speedway and it lost a little bit of its soul when the lights went out there - that's at the Hackney Wick Stadium and not the London Stadium, or whatever it was then named. And what a great rider Bo Petersen was, very stylish and smooth despite seeming tall for a speedway rider. The last rider to race against Billy Sanders. Hackney's best rider? What a debate that would be and what a large number of 'characters' the Hawks had, most seeming to do it for the pure enjoyment it gave them. When I watch a broadcast from the BT Sports studios, I always feel a pang on nostalgia creeping on and thoughts of what used to be there.

• Like 1

The 'Agony Awks' versus the 'Twitches', one of the great rivalries in speedway, fuelled by the verbal sparring between Messrs Silver and Berry that bubbled up from Len's Rayleigh involvement to almost boiling over into something nasty. Gee, they were good times. Ipswich nearly always seemed to ride well at Waterden Road and had a better than 50% win ratio there. A great race-track, but possibly a dangerous race-circuit with the lamp-standards and solid wooden fence poles. Would H&S allow it these days? I'm sure that the track and the club's history have been discussed on other threads, and this one was created to discuss the 1988 team, but what a great place it was to enjoy everything about speedway 'back then' and, as I said in my previous post, when Hackney closed it seemed to knock the stuffing out of speedway and it lost a little bit of its soul when the lights went out there - that's at the Hackney Wick Stadium and not the London Stadium, or whatever it was then named. And what a great rider Bo Petersen was, very stylish and smooth despite seeming tall for a speedway rider. The last rider to race against Billy Sanders. Hackney's best rider? What a debate that would be and what a large number of 'characters' the Hawks had, most seeming to do it for the pure enjoyment it gave them. When I watch a broadcast from the BT Sports studios, I always feel a pang on nostalgia creeping on and thoughts of what used to be there.

For me going to the Wick on a Friday night was brilliant I enjoyed all my visits there.A eight o'clock start was strange but as a racing track it was one of the best, i put in on par with the brilliant old Blackbird Rd Leicester.Thommo was my favourite racer ever to ride for Hackney but for me Bengt Banger Jansson was the best rider i ever saw first see Mark Loram as a mascot and then a rider there and what a exciting brilliant rider he turned out to be.
  • Like 2

Another thing that sticks in my mind about that year were the superb displays of team riding by our skipper Andy Galvin.

When young Chris Louis moved from reserve to partnering Andy in heat one we would be almost guaranteed a maximum start.

Louis said Galvin was his biggest early influence.

Being handed the captaincy that year was the making of Andy. He was always a decent rider, but was a bit of a playboy and didn't take his racing too seriously.

I know he was undecided about dropping down to the National league after doing well in 87, (including a couple of 'tasty clashes' with his old mate Lance King!) Obviously everyone at Hackney was delighted that he stayed with us, though at the same time sad that we had to lose Roland Danno, who was very popular.

If I remember correctly Belle Vue offered Hackney £25,000 to buy Andy during 1990, although he broke his thigh at Rye House and was never the same rider after that.

Another thing that sticks in my mind about that year were the superb displays of team riding by our skipper Andy Galvin.

When young Chris Louis moved from reserve to partnering Andy in heat one we would be almost guaranteed a maximum start.

Louis said Galvin was his biggest early influence.

Being handed the captaincy that year was the making of Andy. He was always a decent rider, but was a bit of a playboy and didn't take his racing too seriously.

I know he was undecided about dropping down to the National league after doing well in 87, (including a couple of 'tasty clashes' with his old mate Lance King!) Obviously everyone at Hackney was delighted that he stayed with us, though at the same time sad that we had to lose Roland Danno, who was very popular.

If I remember correctly Belle Vue offered Hackney £25,000 to buy Andy during 1990, although he broke his thigh at Rye House and was never the same rider after that.

What do you remember about the Hackney side with Simmo Pettman (ect ) in it ? i was a big Trevor Banks fan and never got to see him ride for Hackney at Home see him away and regular grass track action in the Ace/Aces (ect a big regret of mine that i never got to Hackney after there BL days😤 Edited by Sidney the robin

What do you remember about the Hackney side with Simmo Pettman (ect ) in it ? i was a big Trevor Banks fan and never got to see him ride for Hackney at Home see him away and regular grass track action in the Ace/Aces (ect a big regret of mine that i never got to Hackney after there BL days

Obviously signing Malcolm Simmons on such a big average in 86 meant losing a couple of riders, with Trevor being one of them.

He wasn't happy to be dropped, having been our number 1 since our move to the NL.

As you'd expect from such a class act Simmo was practically unbeatable round Waterden rd. I think it was a couple of months before anybody beat him.

I remember Richard Pettman as being a useful reserve but no more than that.

Simmo was there '87 wasn't he?

Hackney came to us at Canterbury as a season opener and I'm sure Simmo was there (Wigg was missing)

Yes he stayed for our year in the BL. With his experience and gating skills he could still beat the best when in the mood.

Always thought that Hackney produced super racing (okay it may have been dangerous) but I have many good memories visiting Waterden Road...despite travelling round the North Circular Road on a Friday evening!!

Always thought that Hackney produced super racing (okay it may have been dangerous) but I have many good memories visiting Waterden Road...despite travelling round the North Circular Road on a Friday evening!!

Probably, my favourite 'away' trip in speedway, though had some good times at Smallmead, Hyde Road, The Shay and Saddlebow Road too, but under the lights on a Friday, making it 'a date at 8', Len's banter and showmanship and a pie and a pint after. Nothing quite matched it for me. Luckily, I did not have to suffer the joys of the North Circular (what a road that was), as I only had to travel in a few miles along the Eastern Avenue, then dive in through Leyton and Carpenters Road. Don't know why they didn't become my 'home' club after Romford and West Ham's closure, but I'd been entranced by the skills of John Louis and Tony Davey by then and, as soon as I could drive, I was up the A12 in the opposite direction on a Thursday to Foxhall Heath, a totally different venue. Maybe it would have been too much of a good thing to frequent the Wick more regularly than I did. (Who would've thought back then that the Olympics would be hosted there a few decades later?)

• Like 2

How i miss those away trips at Exeter,The Shay, Hackney,Leicester,Hyde Rd,Plough Lane,Smallmead, Cowley..

Where have you been Sidney 'old bean?'

I agree! I used to travel all around the country visiting tracks and one I regret never visiting was The Shay! I called in a couple of years ago to have a look but couldn't picture what it must have looked like as they had squared it off! Favourite tracks (not including Oxford)? Hackney, Wimbledon, White City, Swindon to name a few. Least favourite? Hmm...need to think about that one!

Edited by steve roberts

How i miss those away trips at Exeter,The Shay, Hackney,Leicester,Hyde Rd,Plough Lane,Smallmead, Cowley..

Yes, Sid, always enjoyed the County Ground, Blackbird Road and Plough Lane too. Just that they didn't seem to have the same 'edge' there as the other venues I mentioned. Never really fell in love with Cowley (sorry Steve) for some reason, or Blunsdon (sorry Sid) - though there was definitely an 'edge' at The Abbey when Billy road there.

Good to have you back contributing on the Forum fella. Maybe, just count to 10 now and again before you hit the keyboard when replying to certain posters, eh. I know I have to bite my lip sometimes with certain 'contributors' on here - probably the same ones as you.

• Like 2

Where have you been Sidney 'old bean?'

I agree! I used to travel all around the country visiting tracks and one I regret never visiting was The Shay! I called in a couple of years ago to have a look but couldn't picture what it must have looked like as they had squared it off! Favourite tracks (not including Oxford)? Hackney, Wimbledon, White City, Swindon to name a few. Least favourite? Hmm...need to think about that one!

From the same page as you Steve, i don't come on here much now still love reading the posts though.For me in my lifetime Eastbourne/Lakeside are my least two favourite tracks both though you have to have quality to ride them.
  • Like 1