British Speedway Forum

Coventry's New Stadium

Fans need to get behind Mr Sandhu and Mr Heaver, and give their support.

It's a bit hard to trust someone who a couple of years ago said he owned the stadium 100% but then we found out he actually didn't.

Philippe is not the deepest of thinkers sometimes... The rule book was actually slimmed down some years ago, and the situation is no better now than before.

There is a case for rethinking and simplifying some aspects of the team building rules, but in general the rule book needs more clarification which implies more complexity.

I dont think you're ever the deepest of thinkers.

The articles I have read about possible new land for stadium seem to indicate border of Coventry and Rugby, hence need to get planning permission from both councils. However nothing can be done before old stadium knocked down, which does not help. If proposal is where I think it is the future for Speedway and Stock Cars looks promising. Fans need to get behind Mr Sandhu and Mr Heaver, and give their support.

Underlined what would be hugely concerning. To get things moving in the right direction you don't have to remove the old stadium first. That is a line an owner would use to build his houses then say the new stadium isn't financially viable.

• Like 2

They will soon be asking fans to send messages to Rugby Council saying that the need is there from the public for a new stadium through a dedicated website. I do think Rugby Council are warm to the idea of a new stadium as Stock Car and speedway actually brings in the most visitors within the Rugby Council area.

The articles I have read about possible new land for stadium seem to indicate border of Coventry and Rugby, hence need to get planning permission from both councils. However nothing can be done before old stadium knocked down, which does not help. If proposal is where I think it is the future for Speedway and Stock Cars looks promising. Fans need to get behind Mr Sandhu and Mr Heaver, and give their support.

Planning will come from Rugby Council but the land is owned by Coventry City Council as i understand it. Edited by woz01

Get behind Sandhu? He's the one who is knocking your stadium down!

• Like 3

Get behind Sandhu? He's the one who is knocking your stadium down!

He sold it to Investin Brandon Limited in 2014 according to the local paper and he isn't on the list of directors for that company. There was a rumour he had a link with one of the directors though.

Edited by woz01

He sold it to Investin Brandon Limited in 2014 according to the local paper and he isn't on the list of directors for that company. There was a rumour he had a link with one of the directors though.

Here is a link to the guys who are "purportedly" buying the site. Companies House suggests that Roger Lal from Solihull is the main driving force behind this successful property business.

This isn't to say that Sandhu doesn't know him/them, but there is no obvious link between them. There may be a "nominee structure" in place, but according to Companies House, Sandhu is not a Director or a Shareholder of the acquiring business.

http://www.investinplc.com/

Here is a link to the guys who are "purportedly" buying the site. Companies House suggests that Roger Lal from Solihull is the main driving force behind this successful property business.

This isn't to say that Sandhu doesn't know him/them, but there is no obvious link between them. There may be a "nominee structure" in place, but according to Companies House, Sandhu is not a Director or a Shareholder of the acquiring business.

There may not be an obvious direct link but no doubt there will be a link somewhere, he or his services will possibly be used later or on an unconnected project.

This may be the case, but if you look at the type and diversity of project that Investin have done (as per their website), it is clear that they are major property developers.

I come across these type of people and projects in my professional life, and I would be very surprised if this isn't anything but a commercial contract between a willing seller and a willing buyer.

Yep he was named along with two (maybe three) others as directors of the company. Thanks for that link.

Really do hope that it all works out for Coventry. Would be devastating to lose them and i know what losing a team is like being a Reading Racers fan.

I guess any track is better than no track, but for me, Brandon is a proper stadium. the history, viewing areas, pit area, facilities are wonderful. going to be best track lost from the sport for me..
  • Like 4

I guess any track is better than no track, but for me, Brandon is a proper stadium. the history, viewing areas, pit area, facilities are wonderful. going to be best track lost from the sport for me..

Track wise it isn't the best by any means but the stadium and viewing are very good.

Will certainly be a blow to the sport to lose Coventry.

Track wise it isn't the best by any means but the stadium and viewing are very good.

Will certainly be a blow to the sport to lose Coventry.

Certainly a shame to lose Coventry. With the demise (?) of Blunsdon and, some years back, Cowley as speedway venues I'm left wondering what is the oldest original stadium to host speedway?

It would be an absolute travisty to lose Coventry, and Swindon don't seem any nearer with the new Stadium. Without those two the EL is finished..

• Like 2

The thing is Brandon was a good stadium, more than a lick of paint is needed and as much as many of us have fond memories there isn't the money in the sport to keep trying to afford the upkeep but it does seem she is being taken away from us a few years too soon.

I am just hopeful that we don't have too much a Leicester type stadium with makeshift stands and pits that you can't view. It would be a kick in the teeth to see it close and just sit there untouched for a few years. If that's the case then they should let us carry on there until we get a new arena built.

I personally think Mr Sandhu is a man of his word, if it was just speedway I'd be more wary but Heaver and Sandhu like the stock cars so I do think they want this project to work. I am gutted at the thought of walking out of Brandon for the final time, 30+ years of so many fantastic memories of British Finals and title winning teams then the local battles vs Cradley and more recently Poole.

I hope a special last meeting is planned for us to celebrate riders gone by and for fans to say a final farewell. A special book with the history of Brandon with its top 50 meetings Ole's farewell, Title deciders, testimonials... Just an idea

• Like 1

I hope a special last meeting is planned for us to celebrate riders gone by and for fans to say a final farewell. A special book with the history of Brandon with its top 50 meetings Ole's farewell, Title deciders, testimonials... Just an idea

No that is a very sound idea, if the promotion expect the fans just to walk away then that would be a very poor show on there part..