British Speedway Forum

Coventry's New Stadium

Scattering ashes is just a symbolic thing - they'll pretty quickly be subsumed by the surrounding elements. It's not like burying someone on the centre green and having to re-interr the body when the builders move in.

Perhaps the best thing to do with ashes is put them in an old perfume jar with a corny poem attached, and award them to the winners of an England vs Australia test series... or has that already been done?

Edited by Humphrey Appleby

Scattering ashes is just a symbolic thing - they'll pretty quickly be subsumed by the surrounding elements. It's not like burying someone on the centre green and having to re-interr the body when the builders move in.

Now that does get the old grey matter working!!! :D:D:D:wink:

Think if and when Coventry move, they will take the shale off the track with them, plus the starting gate, air fence and other fence, plus lamp standards etc. Perhaps the seats out of the grandstand, in fact anything moveable to save money

It'll be crazy if they didn't, anything to get the stadium built cheaper and more eco friendly the better.

Edited by woz01

Think if and when Coventry move, they will take the shale off the track with them, plus the starting gate, air fence and other fence, plus lamp standards etc. Perhaps the seats out of the grandstand, in fact anything moveable to save money

I think they would be better off looking for somewhere for permanent storage of whatever they can drag out of the path of Sandhu's ( spit ) bulldozers , than looking for a new place for a track . there is a hope of finding somewhere to store the relics !!

nothing comes near it in britain

Really. I can offhand think of 70 or 80 football and rugby stadiums and a couple of dog tracks. Sums up one of speedway's big problems as a rule club owners would always rather rent than develop their own stadiums. That leaves them exposed to having their base sold off from under them.

• 4 weeks later...

If Coventry should need a temporary home for perhaps two or three seasons, they could do worse perhaps, than to sound out the possible availability of Hall Green Stadium in Birmingham? The stadium is on the south (Coventry) side of the City and is about as far away from Perry Barr as it is possible to get without going outside the boundary of Birmingham.

What's more, even though the stadium has not staged speedway for 78 years, most of the required facilities are still in place including the track lighting which is on poles that can be swivelled from dog track to speedway track. Admittedly, the old speedway track has long been grassed over but it wouldn't be massively expensive to cut out a new one and many of the fittings such as the safety fence etc, could be brought over from Brandon.

There would be strong opposition from the locals as always was the case when speedway ran at Hall Green, but someone like Sandhu could have sufficient clout and finance to overcome this, and as Tony Mole is supporting the group fighting to save the stadium from the developers, I don't think he would object.

It's very much a long shot I agree, but perhaps it's just possible? Who knows?

If Coventry should need a temporary home for perhaps two or three seasons, they could do worse perhaps, than to sound out the possible availability of Hall Green Stadium in Birmingham? The stadium is on the south (Coventry) side of the City and is about as far away from Perry Barr as it is possible to get without going outside the boundary of Birmingham.

What's more, even though the stadium has not staged speedway for 78 years, most of the required facilities are still in place including the track lighting which is on poles that can be swivelled from dog track to speedway track. Admittedly, the old speedway track has long been grassed over but it wouldn't be massively expensive to cut out a new one and many of the fittings such as the safety fence etc, could be brought over from Brandon.

There would be strong opposition from the locals as always was the case when speedway ran at Hall Green, but someone like Sandhu could have sufficient clout and finance to overcome this, and as Tony Mole is supporting the group fighting to save the stadium from the developers, I don't think he would object.

it all looked to be going swimmingly well until you mentioned Sandhu, he is the cause of the problem, not the solution . he owns the current stadium and if he was interested in the bees or their supporters he wouldn't be selling it ,

• Like 1

???? thought I read somewhere that hall green won't be a greyhound track for much longer ,

It's true that nothing built will rival Brandon as a stadium but for me that doesn't really matter....one of my faves was Elfield Park , Milton Keynes.and that had nothing other than a track ! ...if the track is good and the viewing is good then that for me is what's important..you don't even need that many fans to create an atmosphere....but I know I may be in a minority as people ma prefer luxurious surroundings....anyway, either is better than no track at all !

• Like 2

Really. I can offhand think of 70 or 80 football and rugby stadiums and a couple of dog tracks. Sums up one of speedway's big problems as a rule club owners would always rather rent than develop their own stadiums. That leaves them exposed to having their base sold off from under them.

who was talking bout other sports?

It's true that nothing built will rival Brandon as a stadium but for me that doesn't really matter....one of my faves was Elfield Park , Milton Keynes.and that had nothing other than a track ! ...if the track is good and the viewing is good then that for me is what's important..you don't even need that many fans to create an atmosphere....but I know I may be in a minority as people ma prefer luxurious surroundings....anyway, either is better than no track at all !

As a Bees fan for many years .I would be happy enough with a track in field rather than a pie in the sky . but even a track in a field In these days of rampant nimbyism and development mania , is virtually impossible to achieve . Just the logistical Nightmare of finding 2 acres of land without a nimby within a radius of 1.5 miles is a Herculean task , add to that the reputation of Motorcycles and the people who enjoy seeing them used , and planning officers who largely need to be sweetened by someone with deeper pockets than most speedway promoters and opening a new track needs some sort of miracle to achieve , Speedway fans in general need to learn to fight to keep what they already have using anything they have in their arsenal , because theres a greedy money grabber Like Sandhu watching every single track for an opportunity to feed their greed , cherish what you have, and make use of it , because when it's gone it's gone and there will be no replacement

• Like 2

I championed this ideology some time ago on this forum but was shouted down!

Although it is true that a planning application to demolish Hall Green Stadium and build houses on the site, has been submitted, it is by no means certain that it will succeed. Hall Green is a highly profitable greyhound stadium and employs over 200 staff, and there is a powerful lobby, supported by the Hall Green MP, lining up to oppose the application, and in any case, a guarantee has already been given that greyhound racing will continue there at least until the end of 2018.

I championed this ideology some time ago on this forum but was shouted down!

I feel exactly the same, a great track with banked terracing will do me. OK so a loo and a tea hut would be nice too 😉 That''s how Somerset started out innit?
  • Like 2

Its a shame that the Motor Sport Industry can't pull together and give speedway a helping hand. The main problem facing the building of any new track is the noise nuisance. Most motor racing tracks that I have attended have vast areas of land that would suite a speedway track and the noise issue would be less of a problem (subject to allowable race days). I know its not just round the corner but there is Mallory Park and Donington Park that both have ample space, the later positioned next door to an airport (what noise issues?).

Just a thought!

A must for me is 'Dogs allowed'. If they are banned because there are a few Sheep in the next field then that's me done for. :lol: Anyway, being pessimistic I can't see a new stadium being built anywhere in Coventry but I wait to be proved wrong.

Edited by Gemini

A must for me is 'Dogs allowed'. If they are banned because there are a few Sheep in the next field then that's me done for. :lol: Anyway, being pessimistic I can't see a new stadium being built anywhere in Coventry but I wait to be proved wrong.

Its just outside Coventry, I think (hope)! Don't think there is any sheep nearby so you're ok

Edited by woz01
  • Like 1