British Speedway Forum

Periscope. A Promoters Nightmare App.

Davey Watt is instrumental in arranging for the Darcy Ward meeting at Torun on Monday 28th to be streamed at an equivalent cost of around £6 - all proceeds to the Darcy Ward Foundation. He states - in the local Echo today - that its the first of several things he and others are working on.

Edit: www.clayperview.com

www.bournemouthecho.co.uk

Edited by Skidder1

Forgive my ignorance of live streaming but is this a "lift" of a professional filming or something arranged solely by Davey Watt. Will this be a single camera or multi camera. Will there be commentary in English?

I'm sure for people who regularly view streams my questions seem stupid but if you dont ask you dont find out :wink:

Ipswich this year have shown clips on their Instagram account from 3 heats at Foxhall on Thursday and another 2 from Scunthorpe on sunday. So is this not allowed?

These clips have been good and something to show non speedway followers.

Ps Was also mentioned at Foxhall that someone was filming on 2nd bend as a red light was seen in the stands and this was not allowed.

For obvious reasons I have an interest in this thread, as my business Clean Cut Sports has indeed been involved in the live streaming of ice hockey for 6 years now.

Since the implementation of a new management committee at BSPA, clarification has been sought from the digital media rights holders what is and what isn't permitted under the terms of the exclusive Sky contract.

The quick answer is that all content from meetings held in the UK under the auspices of the BSPA can only be hosted on club websites, and that content is not permitted to be hosted via Third party websites such as YouTube.

Accordingly, using Instagram (or indeed Facebook, or Twitter, or indeed any other social media platform that can do video), is not permitted,

There are also other restrictions about how much content can be uploaded, although these have been relaxed in recent times.

Edited by ballinger

Forgive my ignorance of live streaming but is this a "lift" of a professional filming or something arranged solely by Davey Watt. Will this be a single camera or multi camera. Will there be commentary in English?

I'm sure for people who regularly view streams my questions seem stupid but if you dont ask you dont find out :wink:

Dave Watt confirmed in interview at Poole yesterday that the commentary will be in English!

www.clayperview.com

Davey's girlfiriend, Joanna, works at the Torun club and has been fully involved with this initiative with the full backing of Torun.

Edited by Skidder1
  • Like 1

Not certain but all/most Polish clubs film their own meetings so I guess it will be a stream of this. (It won't be Davey doing the streaming personally as he's in the meeting)

Wise not to be certain about it. I've not seen match DVD's on sale at any Polish "track shops" when I've been there. So much of the top tier of Polish speedway gets shown live (in 1080p HD) on TV that these broadcasts end up on YouTube, so why buy a (720p) DVD? If they want a physical disk. the fans can download the video off YouTube and burn their own DVD's or even Blu-Rays. No-one is going to make much of a business doing there what Clean Cut, Re-Run etc do over here.

I'm against full-meeting streaming, whichever platform is used, BUT if the BSPA are so protective of their contract with SKY/GSI then SKY/GSI should be responsible for producing some sort of 'whizz-bang' promotional highlights video for every club to be able to personalise to their own club websites, local events/venues and social media options (those that utilise them?!)

#

I wonder at the recent BSPA fans forum, how many fans raised this topic as one of the major issues facing the sport from a fans' perspective?!

Edited by Skidder1
  • Like 3

I agree 100% they should make more 'highlights' available after meetings but cant see how they will really stop this from happening because they wont offer another option. The Piratecast boys show the odd heat which is great if you are unable to attend the meeting. I think this has more to do with the fact the promoters are concerned it will make people stay at home and watch the meeting on their device instead of paying to go into the stadium.

Edited by Pirates Of Poole
  • Like 1

Statement regarding Periscope from BSPA.

http://www.speedwaygb.co/news.php?extend.30214

Ah, the good old BSPA there coming up with a flat-out ban, when streaming the odd race here and there might catch the imagination of potential new fans, or tempt back old ones. I go to watch a lot of bands and, with the exception of one or two 'big' acts, I've yet to see any musicians making similar threats to fans filming or streaming their performances. Polite requests to enjoy the moment rather than thinking of YouTubing songs, yes, but nothing like the BSPA who are so stuck in the past and heavy-handed it's laughable.

Currently amusing myself by imagining a large prearranged group of fans from one track all turning up and filming a meeting - see if the threat of a stadium ban still stands if it would mean there were no paying customers left at the track... :lol:

• Like 1

To surrender rights in this way should only be done if there's a fair amount of dosh involved, which I'm not sure there is in Sky's case any more. If there is an unfulfilled need, someone will fill it, seemingly amateurs on Periscope. There's so much that could be done with live streaming of speedway and with declining crowds at the tracks, this has to be looked at seriously and quickly. IMHO.

The whole deal is detrimental to the sport. I could go to Lynn tonight to see Belle Vue, I won't because the cold is not good news health wise but as it's likely to be a decent meeting I'd be more than happy to pay to watch it online. Pretty sure a fair few BV fans would too. I can't be the only one so Lynn and others I'm sure are missing out on additional revenue.

• Like 2

How is it the bspa keep getting things wrong, do the promoters not realise that either the odd race shown on periscope that could promote interest from old or new fans, or a complete meeting on a pay for view will bring in more fans and income than a ban, which will be almost impossible to impose anyway.

The whole deal is detrimental to the sport. I could go to Lynn tonight to see Belle Vue, I won't because the cold is not good news health wise but as it's likely to be a decent meeting I'd be more than happy to pay to watch it online. Pretty sure a fair few BV fans would too. I can't be the only one so Lynn and others I'm sure are missing out on additional revenue.

I live in the US and would love the opportunity to pay and watch. Are the rights they have sold to Sky worldwide rights or just UK rights?

How is it the bspa keep getting things wrong, do the promoters not realise that either the odd race shown on periscope that could promote interest from old or new fans, or a complete meeting on a pay for view will bring in more fans and income than a ban, which will be almost impossible to impose anyway.

The new regime do realise the problem and say they're going to address it but they're locked into an existing contract so any change will happen later rather than sooner.

• Like 2

problem is .lynn and others would not wind up with the money . it would go in the pockets the russells through gospeed . If iwere a promoter I would take no steps to ensure they take more money out of speedway

• Like 1

I'm against full-meeting streaming, whichever platform is used, BUT if the BSPA are so protective of their contract with SKY/GSI then SKY/GSI should be responsible for producing some sort of 'whizz-bang' promotional highlights video for every club to be able to personalise to their own club websites, local events/venues and social media options (those that utilise them?!)

#

I wonder at the recent BSPA fans forum, how many fans raised this topic as one of the major issues facing the sport from a fans' perspective?!

I asked this question when Buster Champman did a Q&A on Twitter. Basically said its something they are looking at in the future