British Speedway Forum

Kenny Carter, Question Confused

Was privileged to have seen Kenny Carter race many times. Being a Lee supporter, we always gave biased opinions on other greats, thinking Mike was the best . To me, early on, Carter was just a Kid from Yorkshire, trying to measure up at that time. Remembering a night in '83, when accompanying Mike to Halifax for the Golden Helmut. That night Lee was on fire and demolished all Carter efforts. I seem to remember Lee broke the track record in the process, as he won both races by the proverbial mile. But that was a far cry to the person I saw at Coventry winning the British Final on a sodden track with a broken leg. In a meeting when everyone wanted to cancel, Carter really came of age to me when he resisting all those trying to persuade him not to ride. I thought this man has some guts, and for that I held my hand up in support.

He became Box office and was a marked man every where he rode. His friends were few and far between since that British Final , but he never faltered. and for that I admired him. I believe his confrontations with Penhall was stage managed for the benefit of Penhall. Ivan Mauger was aware of Kenny's talent and agree to managed him with the sole intentions of making him the world's No 1. Carter was that good.

The final chapter of his life was a real shame, for everyone. I could never contemplate, what would drive a man to do Kenny's final act . I hope I never find that out, but it doesn't stop me feeling sorrow for all those concerned.

Such a waste of life............

Is there a meeting video anywhere on YouTube or anywhere else on the interweb for that British Final? The wet one!!

I was at work and could not get to that one.....

Cheers,

Shale Searcher

Is there a meeting video anywhere on YouTube or anywhere else on the interweb for that British Final? The wet one!!

I was at work and could not get to that one.....

Cheers,

Shale Searcher

I have a copy of the highlights of the 1984 British Final on DVD. I obtained a copy from fellow poster 'Moxey63' who maybe able to help you out?

Edited by steve roberts

Do you think that speedway is becoming sanitised..? Riders not honour lapping, having to remain still at the start line, not frequenting track bars after racing, constant apologies from its broadcaster when agricultural language is used, and when a rider breaks this new breed of cleaner than clean sportsmanlike behaved rider mould, certain sections of the sports global fanbase get offended not only themselves, but on everybody else's behalf!! Doesn't provide the right environmental conditions to breed controversial characters... Talented or not talented.

• Like 3

Thanks; It sure brought back a few memories. Look at how big the crowd was on a wet day..... :t:

• Like 1

Thanks; It sure brought back a few memories. Look at how big the crowd was on a wet day..... :t:

Yea, me too... But was that actually much different to what we get served up today? Obviously it was a far better field, but it was a proper World Championship qualifying round.. Big crowd, no laydowns, Kevlars, Airfences, "jumpers for goalposts" type of memories... But was it better racing? I'm not so sure..

Thanks for the link though.

Yea, me too... But was that actually much different to what we get served up today? Obviously it was a far better field, but it was a proper World Championship qualifying round.. Big crowd, no laydowns, Kevlars, Airfences, "jumpers for goalposts" type of memories... But was it better racing? I'm not so sure..

Thanks for the link though.

Difficult to judge really. That situation today would never have been allowed the meeting to run. The riders have the upper hand and dictate proceedings. If there were enough support, the meeting would have been abundant. (Warsaw 2015).

Although I appreciate the safety and benefit of the Air fences, I don't believe the other improvements benefit the sport at all. Laydown high revving engines, Kevlars have done nothing for the spectators and personally I use to enjoy the movement of the riders at the gate. It was a contest between the rider and the ref, which all heightened the excitement . It was who could con who, to break the tapes. all of which added to the occasion. Now the bikes are that fast, with no movement at the gate, they race to the first corner, then your 90% assured of victory...... Its probably more fairer now to the purest, but its taken away the lottery the bad starts use to create.

I don't know that can be called a plus or a minus........ But I know which one I preferred.....

• Like 2

I think if you read the Book Tragedy you will not forgive - but certainly better understand Carter's behavior. He went through some horrendous circumstances (not that makes what he did in anyway ok) and he had a father who in my humble opinion had a lot to answer for. What he did was terrible but it was an act caused by a man who was not sane of mind.

As a rider, they guy was different class. I can remember as a very wee lad seeing him for GB against the Danes at Coventry and boy was he good. As a Brit, no rider you would have wanted representing you more.

• Like 3

No young lad should be put through what Kenny had to endure in his formative years (the word formative is important in this case)

Not condoning what finally occurred on 21 May 1986, but when the mind is not in 100% order, unspeakable deeds can happen

He was pure class on a bike, at a time when there were plenty of highly-rated riders around, and when the power of the machinery and the funds to support the riders were a million miles away from what we see now

RIP Kenny and Pamela

Worth obtaining the Ivan Mauger DVD where he talks about his relationship with Carter leading up the 1982 World Final. Ivan was less than impressed with Kenny's father's, Malcolm, 'involvement' behind the scenes!

Worth obtaining the Ivan Mauger DVD where he talks about his relationship with Carter leading up the 1982 World Final. Ivan was less than impressed with Kenny's father's, Malcolm, 'involvement' behind the scenes!

There is a lot more insight in Alan Carter's biography. To quote from the synopsis on the cover: "He talks from the heart about the tragic death of his younger brother and the suicide of both his mother and elder brother.."

You can never excuse what Kenny did, but Mal Carter had a lot to answer for.

• Like 2

There is a lot more insight in Alan Carter's biography. To quote from the synopsis on the cover: "He talks from the heart about the tragic death of his younger brother and the suicide of both his mother and elder brother.."

You can never excuse what Kenny did, but Mal Carter had a lot to answer for.

Just had a quick re-read of the relevant chapters. In fairness to Mal, he was abused by his own father, so it's not surprising he turned out the way he did.

No fan of KC as a rider but my you couldn't deny his talent on a bike. You also can't deny that he murdered his wife and if he hadn't taken his own life would have been jailed or committed if he was mentally unstable. He had a tough childhood so why deny his own kids growing up with their mother.