British Speedway Forum

Jon Cook

SCB

I really don't get why Jon Cook is receiving such abuse on here. I always like to see the good in people and don't have him down as a nasty person - it's always easy to mis-interpret written comms because you don't get the intonation or the wink and smile at the end for example. I take no offence from his attributed comments, my issue was with who had decided on the H/L list and he explained that it was agreed by consensus across all promoters - therefore I have no issue with it, so what if so and so is on there but this guy isn't? The decision has been made. Accusations of favourtism to one club or another are answered by his explanation and if people cannot understand that then.........

Do you not find his choice of word offensive in light of the posting by Fourentee, on 20 Dec 2015 - 11:22 PM?

Still to be convinced, take a look at this:

http://noahsdad.com/spread-the-word-to-end-the-word/

Do you not find his choice of word offensive in light of the posting by Fourentee, on 20 Dec 2015 - 11:22 PM?

Still to be convinced, take a look at this:

http://noahsdad.com/spread-the-word-to-end-the-word/

No, you've completely missed the point. This thread is about Jon Cook's attributed comments about people who don't understand his explanation as being either thick or biased. The word retard was introduced by SCB in the original title of this thread, not by Jon Cook.

Edited by SPEEDY69

Completely ignorant, head in the sand comment that you can't prove in anyway.

A business calls its customer idiots.. its almost certain it will lose some customers.

There's a precedent for this sort of thing, as Wolfsbane can attest too.

Based upon Lakeside supporters opinions on here, I don't think that's true. They all seem to be defending, excusing or at least underplaying Cook's remarks and consequently its most unlikely they will stop going.

As far as I can see (and I am sure that I have already said this) SCB was absolutely correct in his criticism of Cook's remarks but shouldn't have used the language that he did.

• Like 2

And there's no excusing SCB's remarks for what he said at the top of the thread calling Cook a Re-ard, totally out or order, and many said so. But i see the forum crawlers are out in force defending him, And people have the gaul to called me blinkered.. Sadly i don't fall into line. Says it all about this forum.. :nono:

Edited by Starman2006

I never believe the customer is 'always right', as they don't usually have all the facts most times, but I have got to say Cook was out of order saying what he said. Just as wrong as SCB was to reply with a worse response.

Unquestionably true, but that doesn't give grounds to insult, criticise or abuse them.

• Like 3

I really don't get why Jon Cook is receiving such abuse on here. I always like to see the good in people and don't have him down as a nasty person - it's always easy to mis-interpret written comms because you don't get the intonation or the wink and smile at the end for example. I take no offence from his attributed comments, my issue was with who had decided on the H/L list and he explained that it was agreed by consensus across all promoters - therefore I have no issue with it, so what if so and so is on there but this guy isn't? The decision has been made. Accusations of favourtism to one club or another are answered by his explanation and if people cannot understand that then.........

Cook is not the brightest of people and his remark didn't surprise me.

Cook was right. Some people are thick and this forum has for years attested to the fact that many more are biased. It wasn't a good idea to let that comment come out in print, and it would probably have been better unsaid, but that doesn't make it any less true.

Well yes, but it also showed that promoters think they can run a sport in such an un-transparent manner in the 21st century. Promoters secretly voting for which riders go on a list affecting team make-ups is somehow acceptable.

It's another reason why people just can't be bothered with the sport anymore, and if certain promoters don't get it, then they're just thick or biased...

• Like 6

Except it is NOT the organisation(BSPA) that is saying it, but it is Jon Cook. Big difference if the criticism is to levelled at someone.

I never believe the customer is 'always right', as they don't usually have all the facts most times, but I have got to say Cook was out of order saying what he said. Just as wrong as SCB was to reply with a worse response.

Here, once again we have a classic case of someone who is/has been involved in the promotion of the sport failing to grasp the real meaning and feeling of the phrase " the customer is always right".

Having the facts has absolutely no relevance, the phrase is intended to remind anyone in business that regardless of the product they wish to promote/sell the most important point is to keep your customer happy.

Unfortunately Jon Cook isn't the only promoter that fails that test , we can regularly read comments from various promoters that leave much to be desired on the PR front.

It's been this way for many years unfortunately,but some of the present day promoters show no enthusiasm for change.

Edited by Dave Jones

Well yes, but it also showed that promoters think they can run a sport in such an un-transparent manner in the 21st century. Promoters secretly voting for which riders go on a list affecting team make-ups is somehow acceptable.It's another reason why people just can't be bothered with the sport anymore, and if certain promoters don't get it, then they're just thick or biased...

I don't think you can really say that the heat leader list was anymore secret than anything else the BSPA or any other similar body do. They make decisions at the AGM on a whole range of matters governing team building, e.g EL/PL conversion rates , points limits etc.

As they are not elected by the public I am not sure why the public are entitled to know the ins and outs of every decision..

The only thing unusual about the heatleader list was that it took a while to be made public. None of us know why it was kept secret at first. There may be a good reason for that or there may be a bad reason, but until someone asks them we won't know. Normally there would be some kind of business reason for this, maybe something to do with rider negotiations, I don't know and I am not in a position to speculate.

I can't off-hand think of any other sports with the so called transparency of decision making you are proposing, but I doubt there are many.

• Like 1

Well yes, but it also showed that promoters think they can run a sport in such an un-transparent manner in the 21st century. Promoters secretly voting for which riders go on a list affecting team make-ups is somehow acceptable.It's another reason why people just can't be bothered with the sport anymore, and if certain promoters don't get it, then they're just thick or biased...

100% agree .

No, you've completely missed the point. This thread is about Jon Cook's attributed comments about people who don't understand his explanation as being either thick or biased. The word retard was introduced by SCB in the original title of this thread, not by Jon Cook.

As far as I can see (and I am sure that I have already said this) SCB was absolutely correct in his criticism of Cook's remarks but shouldn't have used the language that he did.

The vast majority of posts on here seem to go along broadly with that sentiment, albeit with differing degrees of emphasis.So to that extent I am not sure what your point is.

As far as Jon Cook is concerned what has been said , has been said. Nothing is going to change it and however many times people go on about it nothing is going to change what has been said. There really is very little if anything new to add to the thread.

As far as SCB is concerned, he was not the first one to spot the point. Someone else had posted it several hours before on the heatleader list thread where it should be and where there had already been grown up comment. SCB hadn't even read the article, all he did was to start a fresh thread regurgitating the same point in more abusive terms which he presumably thought would make him look important or impressive but actually put him in the same or lower bracket than the object of his bile

The criticism was a valid in substance the choice of language reminded me of Eric Hoffers famous quote that " Rudeness is a weak mans imitation of strength" . The point could have been made much more effectively using indoor language.

Edited by E I Addio
  • Like 3

And there's no excusing SCB's remarks for what he said at the top of the thread calling Cook a Re-ard, totally out or order, and many said so. But i see the forum crawlers are out in force defending him, And people have the gaul to called me blinkered.. Sadly i don't fall into line. Says it all about this forum.. :nono:

But you are quite happy when a Poole rep uses that word, allegedly. So you still can't moan about other people saying it as no one will take you seriously otherwise.

But you are quite happy when a Poole rep uses that word, allegedly. So you still can't moan about other people saying it as no one will take you seriously otherwise.

You sent SCB his Christmas card yet.. You never know, you might get an invite to the Welsh hils in the new year, that would be riveting for the both of you !!! Fly on a wall springs to mind !! :rofl: Do you think it bothers me if anybody on here takes me seriously, Eh, no..

Edited by Starman2006

You sent SCB his Christmas card yet.. You never know, you might get an invite to the Welsh hils in the new year, that would be riveting for the both of you !!! Fly on a wall springs to mind !! :rofl: Do you think it bothers me if anybody on here takes me seriously, Eh, no..

No, you have made it obvious enough!! But why is it okay for Middlo to use that word but not SCB?
  • Like 3

No, you have made it obvious enough!! But why is it okay for Middlo to use that word but not SCB?

Thats down to Neil. Im still waiting for somebody to find the post where im defending it..

The vast majority of posts on here seem to go along broadly with that sentiment, albeit with differing degrees of emphasis.So to that extent I am not sure what your point is.

As far as Jon Cook is concerned what has been said , has been said. Nothing is going to change it and however many times people go on about it nothing is going to change what has been said. There really is very little if anything new to add to the thread.

As far as SCB is concerned, he was not the first one to spot the point. Someone else had posted it several hours before on the heatleader list thread where it should be and where there had already been grown up comment. SCB hadn't even read the article, all he did was to start a fresh thread regurgitating the same point in more abusive terms which he presumably thought would make him look important or impressive but actually put him in the same or lower bracket than the object of his bile

The criticism was a valid in substance the choice of language reminded me of Eric Hoffers famous quote that " Rudeness is a weak mans imitation of strength" . The point could have been made much more effectively using indoor language.

From what I have heard and read, SCB got drunk on the night after work and he decided to be clever and shock people on this forum. It's all just a joke to him, but he has received considerable criticism both on here and Facebook, but I doubt he has regrets which is not acceptable.

• Like 2

From what I have heard and read, SCB got drunk on the night after work and he decided to be clever and shock people on this forum. It's all just a joke to him, but he has received considerable criticism both on here and Facebook, but I doubt he has regrets which is not acceptable.

He should have got a holiday for his actions. But favoritisum wins the day, i believe.. Good job it wasn't a Poole fan. He'd now be booking a holiday for a year..

Edited by Starman2006

As they are not elected by the public I am not sure why the public are entitled to know the ins and outs of every decision..

Of course not, but the public don't have to watch the sport either. Team building restrictions are an important aspect of the speedway, and indeed are part of the interest for some, so I don't think it's unreasonable that consideration should be given to the public in this respect.

I can't off-hand think of any other sports with the so called transparency of decision making you are proposing, but I doubt there are many.

I think in most sports, the rules for squad and team building are publicly available. There's no direct equivalent with speedway in terms of the complexity of team building restrictions, but certainly the rules of the NFL draft are known and it's a public process.

• Like 2

He should have got a holiday for his actions. But favoritisum wins the day, i believe.. Good job it wasn't a Poole fan. He'd now be booking a holiday for a year..

Is this another of your 'facts'? Where do you think he is now being as you seem to know he's being treated with 'favoritisum' because he's not a Poole fan and should be having a holiday? Where would you suggest? It's rather cold in the UK at the moment so perhaps Rome? (Steve Shovlar can provide some good info about that because he disappeared there in October 2010.) How about Florida, the South of France or somewhere in Spain? :unsure: