British Speedway Forum

Bruce Penhall

yeah point taken, but having seen both for many years, I personally see john as quite a decent size gap better, but again

its just an opinion

I don't disagree, there is plenty to back that up.

I think Waiheke had John rated higher in his rankings but he wasn't as far ahead as you might expect.

• Like 1

Briggs,Fundin,Mauger,Milne,Duggan,Wilkinson,Huxley,Farndon,,Olsen,Nielsen,Penhall,Woffinden,Lee,Carter,S.Moran,Autrey,Sigalos,Gundersen,Moore,Young,Collins,Hancock,Rickardsson, Gollob,T.Jansson,Michanek,Sayfutdinov,Craven,Williams, Pedersen,Adams,J.Crump,happy with that lot Witcher there's a few to be going along with.

From the fool who said he wasnt replying anymore to Bwitcher about this subject at, what, 5pm last night ?

Get back to work Dick and don't forget your PILLS goodnight Doctor!! Edited by sidney
  • Like 1

Briggs,Fundin,Mauger,Milne,Duggan,Wilkinson,Huxley,Farndon,,Olsen,Nielsen,Penhall,Woffinden,Lee,Carter,S.Moran,Autrey,Sigalos,Gundersen,Moore,Young,Collins,Hancock,Rickardsson, Gollob,T.Jansson,Michanek,Sayfutdinov,Craven happy with that lot Witcher there's a few to be going along with.

Get back to work Dick and don't forget your PILLS goodnight Doctor!!

28... still another 22 to go .. although of course Shawn Moran doesn't come close to being listed with those riders.

Briggs,Fundin,Mauger,Milne,Duggan,Wilkinson,Huxley,Farndon,,Olsen,Nielsen,Penhall,Woffinden,Lee,Carter,S.Moran,Autrey,Sigalos,Gundersen,Moore,Young,Collins,Hancock,Rickardsson, Gollob,T.Jansson,Michanek,Sayfutdinov,Craven,Williams, Pedersen,Adams,J.Crump,happy with that lot Witcher there's a few to be going along with.

Get back to work Dick and don't forget your PILLS goodnight Doctor!

Still fighting the demon drink eh Mark ?

yeah point taken, but having seen both for many years, I personally see john as quite a decent size gap better, but again

its just an opinion

Opinion is what the speedway star readers were asked to give, and they chose chris over john- why is you giving an opinion any more legitimate ? p.rick

Thirty two there and Sam is not fit to clean half of those riders bikes harsh but true.

If you insist, but that would make Shawn Moran not fit to clean any of them.. so Ermolenko is still better.

Give me one fact, one achievement to demonstrate Shawn Moran was better than Ermolenko.. come on, it can't be that hard to do can it?

Oh, and there were 28 as I said till you edited it.

Edited by BWitcher
  • Like 2

Opinion is what the speedway star readers were asked to give, and they chose chris over john- why is you giving an opinion any more legitimate ? p.rick

No a nice cup of tea for me, and don't call me Mark you don't know me from Adam if you do come and show your face eh!

No a nice cup of tea for me, and don't call me Mark you don't know me from Adam if you do come and show your face eh!

I'll call you whatever i like, i show my face clearly in my profile picture - unlike yours. I've also named myself in full on here. Do the same and we'll sort this out if you fancy it

There's been some decent debate on this thread with the likes of Terry, Colin Mills etc giving their opinions with good reasoning to back it up, why do you consistently have to ruin it with your nonsense?

It's perfectly understandable that you had a recollection Shawn Moran was better... its been proved conclusively, without doubt that he wasn't, why not simply be happy you've learned something?

As said, I've learned something tonight, that Autrey was better than I have ever previously given him credit for. Admitting you were wrong isn't a sign of weakness, it's simply being a sensible adult.

To be honest I also didn't realise just how conclusively Ermolenko was above Moran and it's shown to me by looking at Moran's career closely, he wasn't quite as good as I thought.

• Like 1

I'll call you whatever i like, i show my face clearly in my profile picture - unlike yours. I've also named myself in full on here. Do the same and we'll sort this out if you fancy it

Fancy it bigtime anytime give me a shout at the abbey and i can pop a few more pills down your throat love the photo what a pr... you are.
  • Like 1

Looping back a bit, if you view clips of 1983 Longtrack Final in Moran's last, or next to last ride, Mauger does him a bit of a favour. No link as I can't find the blooming clips again but I'm sure they are still there.

Gotta comment on who was better Mauger or Trick: we'll never know as they rode in different times. But the best in any era was / is the best in that era and could only beat whoever lined up against him, there is almost always as least 2 or 3 riders battling to win a World Championship. Don't think anyone was handed the Championship on a plate, not even Sczakiel in 1973. No doubt Mauger was well hacked of at the result in '73 as he was passing riders for fun that day but as he himself said "I fell off, he (Sczakiel) didn't".....

Looping back a bit, if you view clips of 1983 Longtrack Final in Moran's last, or next to last ride, Mauger does him a bit of a favour. No link as I can't find the blooming clips again but I'm sure they are still there.

Gotta comment on who was better Mauger or Trick: we'll never know as they rode in different times. But the best in any era was / is the best in that era and could only beat whoever lined up against him, there is almost always as least 2 or 3 riders battling to win a World Championship. Don't think anyone was handed the Championship on a plate, not even Sczakiel in 1973. No doubt Mauger was well hacked of at the result in '73 as he was passing riders for fun that day but as he himself said "I fell off, he (Sczakiel) didn't".....

The mindset Mauger had, I think he would have won even more titles in the GP system. He left nothing to chance. A great insight to this was in a chapter of his biography, think the very first one.

If you insist, but that would make Shawn Moran not fit to clean any of them.. so Ermolenko is still better.

Give me one fact, one achievement to demonstrate Shawn Moran was better than Ermolenko.. come on, it can't be that hard to do can it?

Oh, and there were 28 as I said till you edited it.

An amusing debate. I preferred Shawn Moran as a rider, but Sam Ermolenko was better no doubt about it. All the facts you pulled together back that right up.

Many people find it very hard to judge their favourite riders in a non-biased way. Or indeed those they don't much care for in a neutral way. You won't Nicki Pedersen ever making most people's best of all-time lists for that very reason.

Sam Ermolenko always seems to get under-rated. Not quite sure why. Do people remember the fading rider of 1997-2005, rather the superstar of 1985 to 1996?

He was the nearest challenger to threatening the Danish domination of the late 80s, and remarkably a serious injury only seemed to spur him on even more. There's no doubt he was the best rider in the world in 1993. Yes, he had a bit of luck on the day, when Frank Ebdon bizarrely didn't spot he shed a chain at the start of the re-run in Heat 15 and gave him another go in the re-re-run. But you often needed a little bit of luck to win a one-off World Final.

To me, where Sam proved himself a deserving winner was the World Team Cup Final a couple of weeks later, when he beat Hans Nielsen in a last-heat decider at Coventry.

Sam was a fully deserving World Champ. In the ranks of recent one-time winners from around that era, I'd rate him just slightly behind Jan O Pedersen, about level with Per Jonsson, but ahead of Gary Havelock, Billy Hamill and Mark Loram.

And Shawn Moran? Come on Sid, there's no comparison there. Moran was ridiculously talented, but Sam Ermolenko was the biggest achiever of the two, without doubt.

All the best

Rob

Edited by lucifer sam
  • Like 1

You're looking in the wrong place tbh.

Back then, the British League was the strongest world league.. now it isn't, you have to compare it with the Polish or Swedish Leagues. Take the 20th best rider from the British League back in the day and compare with the 20th in either the Swedish or Polish League and you'll get a much more accurate idea.

Now, numerous times Sidney has spouted that Ermolenko wouldn't appear in anybodies 'roll of honour' or would come close to being in the top 50 of all time.

Wouldn't it be great if a survey could be done?

Well, of course one was done by the Speedway Star where readers voted to come up with a Top 100 of all time. Of course, the list can be debated endlessly and there are many riders who I think are in the wrong place... but the point here is Sidneys claim that Ermolenko wouldn't appear if I 'asked around'.

Actually he does. He's in 20th place. Autrey? 63rd. Shawn Moran? 52nd.

Here's the listing in case anyone missed the issue.

RIDER VOTES

1. Ivan Mauger 12,226

2. Hans Nielson 9,505

3. Ove Fundin 7,485

4. Barry Briggs 7,176

5. Ole Olsen 5,527

6. Erik Gundersen 4,008

7. Tony Rickardsson 3,856

8. Bruce Penhall 2,887

9. Peter Collins 2,203

10. Peter Craven 2,061

11. Ronnie Moore 1,999

12. Tomasz Gollob 1,012

13. Mark Loram 843

14. Anders Michanek 600

15. Tommy Knudsen 595

16. Jack Young 559

17. Per Jonsson 544

18. Jack Parker 499

19. Greg Hancock 452

20. Sam Ermolenko 433

21. Jason Crump 399

22. Jerzy Szczakiel 380

23. Vic Duggan 347

24. Billy Hamill 340

25. Jan O. Pedersen 270

26. Kenny Carter 265

27. Michael Lee 265

28. Ryan Sullivan 242

29. Phil Crump 230

30. Zenon Plech 217

31. Nigel Boocock 213

32. Leigh Adams 196

33. Egon Muller 176

34. Jimmy Nilsen 175

35. Joe Screen 166

36. Tommy Jansson 152

37. Bluey Wilkinson 145

38. Kelly Moran 139

39. Henrick Gustafsson 139

40. Edward Jansarz 138

41. Freddie Williams 135

42. Chris Louis 133

43. Igor Plechanov 113

44. Graham Warren 95

45. Lionel Van Praag 94

46. Billy Sanders 91

47. Les Collins 90

48. Oub Lawson 90

49. Vic Huxley 88

50. Todd Wiltshire 85

51. Chris Morton 82

52. Shawn Moran 79

53. Simon Wigg 75

54. John Louis 74

55. Soren Sjosten 73

56. Ron Johnson 73

57. Tom Farndon 71

58. Gary Havelock 71

59. Malcolm Simmons 65

60. Tommy Price 64

61. Martin Ashby 61

62. Ken McKinlay 59

63. Scott Autrey 59

64. Tommy Betts 56

65. Jim Airey 56

66. Bjorn Knutsson 51

67. Olle Nygren 47

68. John Cook 47

69. Larry Ross 45

70. Toni Kasper (junior) 45

71. Christer Lofqvist 43

72. George Hunter 42

73. Brian Karger 41

74. Piotr Protasiewicz 41

75. Eric Boocock 40

76. Peter Karlsson 40

77. Mitch Shirra 39

78. Ray Wilson 38

79. Antonin Woryna 38

80. Lars Gunnestad 37

81. Jack Milne 35

82. Bill Kitchen 34

83. Steve Lawson 34

84. Rafal Dobrucki 34

85. Eric Langton 32

86. Kelvin Tatum 31

87. Sverre Harrfeldt 30

88. Zoltan Adorjan 30

89. John Boulger 29

90. Dave Jessup 28

91. Gordon Kennett 28

92. Ken Le Breton 28

93. Bengt Jansson 28

94. Reidar Eide 27

95. Norman Parker 27

96. Bobby Beaton 26

97. Carl Stonehewer 26

98. John Davis 26

99. Charlie Monk 25

100. Ron Mountford 25

This survey was from the year 2000. Obviously some modern riders would now be ranked higher, particularly Rickardsson, Jason Crump, Nicki Pedersen and Greg Hancock.

Others such as Tai Woffinden, Emil Sayfutdinov, Jarek Hampel, Chris Holder, Tomasz Gollob etc would also enter the list, but they wouldn't change the fact that Ermolenko is way above Autrey and Shaun Moran.. in fact, its likely the gap would increase.

So Sidney, the public did indeed speak.

Mmmmmmmmmmm - interesting fact.

Look who is at number Twenty Two. It seems Jerzy Szczakiel was a more popular and more respected Rider than some on here give him credit.

EDIT: I do accept, however, that the year the Survey was taken is also relevant. Obviously current Riders at that time would be more in the minds eye than those like say Vic Duggan who were part of the Sport's History even then.

Edited by The White Knight

A sixteen year gap from 1975 his career had finished along time before that a cheap shot you are clutching at straws to be honest.I can remember Ermolenko coming over here in 83 think he was partnered with Lee a total nutcase totally out of control i think he averaged 4.25.He was lucky to get a work permit the next year look i like Sam he did well won a title fair play to him but he did not do it in a strong era.

Getting back to the topic,i was there in 1977 when Bruce came over to White City.He was pants.Only beat Keith White and fellow American Mike Bast

SO??? your point are you pissed???

I was answering one of your posts,which aren't simple to decipher,but I thought you was saying when you first saw Sam he wasn't very good.I said when I first saw Bruce(and I reckon the person who started this thread is regretting it....)he also wasn't very good,but look what happened.So you should have kept your word and stopped posting