British Speedway Forum

Bruce Penhall

in fairness, you can only beat whats put in front of you at the time.im one that prefer the one offs, but those who like the gp"s, its totally different from the introduction now. started with 6 rounds, which gave you healing time from an injury, today, you have 12 rounds, so you dont need getting injured at the wrong time. you also had years when you got eliminated after 2 poor rides, so its changed all the time, but as a traditional one off, easily my best option. turn up all level on the night, cant beat it imo

With the state of some of the racing in the GP rounds, i think the one off's are a good consideration. With the qualifiers then the one off final. Although if we did go back to that you can gurrantee this country wouldn't get a look in. Where would the finals be held ? Predominatly Poland.

Edited by Starman2006

mauger/ricko would have split opinion as well..until woffy gets 7 that is!!

With the state of some of the racing in the GP rounds, i think the one off's are a good consideration. With the qualifiers then the one off final. Although if we did go back to that you can gurrantee this country wouldn't get a look in. Where would the finals be held ? Predominatly Poland.

if the rounds were done fairly, im sure it would be great viewing away from the closed shop

riders..its becoming so repetitive

Who's the better rider Mauger or Trick ? I would say Trick. But some might argue you cannot compare different generations.

Mauger and Ricko is totally down to opinion. They rode in different eras and had similar levels of success.

Ermolenko and Moran is not opinion. They rode in the same era and Ermolenko was better in every conceivable category you can name.

Edited by BWitcher

Mauger and Ricko is totally down to opinion. They rode in different eras and had similar levels of success.

Ermolenko and Moran is not opinion. They rode in the same era and Ermolenko was better in every conceivable category you can name.

my opinion, I didn't rate either ermolenko or moran as highly as others do, but of the 2, I

would say ermolenko.

my opinion, I didn't rate either ermolenko or moran as highly as others do, but of the 2, I

would say ermolenko.

As said, there is no opinion involved when you have two riders who you can compare head to head over a period of time. There isn't anything anyone can point towards to say Moran was better.. nothing at all... other than Sidney's.. "he had a better style".. you don't score pts for style, its not ski jumping.

As said, there is no opinion involved when you have two riders who you can compare head to head over a period of time. There isn't anything anyone can point towards to say Moran was better.. nothing at all... other than Sidney's.. "he had a better style".. you don't score pts for style, its not ski jumping.

NO FACTS Witcher just our Opinions , i am happy with mine i can remember Ermolenko at the Abbey in 83 what a wobbler totally out of control Mike the bike did look for him though !!

NO FACTS Witcher just our Opinions , i am happy with mine i can remember Ermolenko at the Abbey in 83 what a wobbler totally out of control Mike the bike did look for him though !!

Wow, and within 2 years he was in a run off for the World Title. What an amazing rider he must have been to improve so much, so fast! With only one season of racing in Europe too.

As said, your opinions are utterly irrelevant when comparing two riders from the same era.

The 'FACT' is Sidney, apart from your continued quoting of 1983 you have not and cannot come up with a single reason to back up your 'opinion' that Moran was better... simply because he wasn't.

I'll leave you to continue trolling now.

before we had speedway through our screens I guess our only opinions are what you saw on your

own home tracks. hence, to me Mauger round Foxhall was mediocre at best, where as Olsen was awesome.

I totally agree.

However, it is now very easy to check who was better in particular eras.. I've provided all the evidence regarding Ermolenko and Moran, those with intelligence will understand it shows who is better... then there are those who are ignorant.

I have learned something in this debate though and that is regarding Scott Autrey who I hadn't rated as highly. Having researched him I can see he had a spell of 3 years where he was riding at the very top of his game with one particular dominant year (79 of the top of my head?).

Does this body of work put him above what Ermolenko achieved? I don't think so, but it certainly ranks him above Shawn Moran who before tonight, if asked I would have listed above Autrey,

I think what made Scott Autrey so good was the fact he could ride any size track. He held the Exeter track record for many years and also Wimbledon where he won consecutive spring classics, with world final line ups.

I would have him above Ermolenko simply because there were a better calibre of rider in those days.

The same reason for Sigalos.

If I had to rank my best American Riders that I had seen I would go for (in order):

i) Hancock

ii) Penhall

iii) Autrey

For BW's benefit Ermolenko would be fourth.

It's all about opinion though - and that is mine.

I think what made Scott Autrey so good was the fact he could ride any size track. He held the Exeter track record for many years and also Wimbledon where he won consecutive spring classics, with world final line ups.

I would have him above Ermolenko simply because there were a better calibre of rider in those days.

The same reason for Sigalos.

Was there really a 'better calibre' of rider?

This has already been discussed in depth and waihekeaces has demonstrated that is somewhat of a myth.

More teams = More Heat Leaders = Perception there were better calibre of riders.

One thing that is for certain is the top riders had easier races, thus were seen to beaten less.. again, perception, better riders.