British Speedway Forum

Your Own Great Memories.?

stratton

That would be the Champions Trophy I would imagine. Shame these meetings are no longer popular. Always attracted the star riders. Remember the Silver Plume at Swindon. It was always an attraction to see the star men (they would only visit perhaps once or maybe twice a year) and you mention Hans and Erik. We saw so much of Erik at Cowley due to the shortage and rearrangement of the league it no longer became a treat to see the World Champion as it once used to be.

Steve, I'm not sure if I agree with that sentiment. I quite liked the fact there was so many instalments to the story each season.

For example, there was September 1984. Erik became World Champion, and was nominated to face Hans (the holder) in the Golden Helmet. Erik came, saw and conquered, with a 2-0 win at Cowley, breaking the track record in the process. It was in the days of the proper Golden Helmet, when it preceded the main meeting, and that was all we saw of Erik that night.

The following week he was back again... this time for Cradley. Everyone was wondering if Erik could whip Hans around Oxford for the second week running. Instead Erik's scorechart read something like TX, EF, F, 0, 2.

And then there was October '85. At the start of month, Hans scored a 15-point max at Cowley, beating Erik three times, including once from behind. That was a delight to watch, especially as these two knew each other so well, they rarely passed each other.

The Midland Cup final promised a rematch. Instead both riders had a nightmare. Hans had his only genuinely bad meeting of the year for the Cheetahs and it ended with his bike seizing solid and Hans stepping off the bike onto the centre green before the bike careered straight into the fence and was written off. Erik had a better evening, until he met a determined Jens Rasmussen. The two tangled and Jens accidentally rode over Erik's head. Lord knows how Erik escaped with just bruising.

There were so many instalments to this story, and I think it benefitted from regular rematches.

And of course occasionally another rider stole the thunder from Hans or Erik. Cue Cocker passing Erik from behind in the Golden Helmet at Oxford in 1986!! ;)

All the best

Rob

Edited by lucifer sam
  • Like 1

Or blackbird beating Hans three times in one night the same season

Three times from the back as well!

I can think of riders who beat Hans twice in the same night at Cowley (rare as that was), but I think Carl Blackbird was the only one who completed a hat-trick.

The 1986 season was weird. Oxford spent the first month of the season unable to win at home, and then clicked into gear and become almost completely unbeatable everywhere!! I think we're still the only team to have two riders on a BL average of more than 11.00 in a season (Hans 11.83, Wiggy 11.01).

All the best

Rob

Steve, I'm not sure if I agree with that sentiment. I quite liked the fact there was so many instalments to the story each season.

For example, there was September 1984. Erik became World Champion, and was nominated to face Hans (the holder) in the Golden Helmet. Erik came, saw and conquered, with a 2-0 win at Cowley, breaking the track record in the process. It was in the days of the proper Golden Helmet, when it preceded the main meeting, and that was all we saw of Erik that night.

The following week he was back again... this time for Cradley. Everyone was wondering if Erik could whip Hans around Oxford for the second week running. Instead Erik's scorechart read something like TX, EF, F, 0, 2.

And then there was October '85. At the start of month, Hans scored a 15-point max at Cowley, beating Erik three times, including once from behind. That was a delight to watch, especially as these two knew each other so well, they rarely passed each other.

The Midland Cup final promised a rematch. Instead both riders had a nightmare. Hans had his only genuinely bad meeting of the year for the Cheetahs and it ended with his bike seizing solid and Hans stepping off the bike onto the centre green before the bike careered straight into the fence and was written off. Erik had a better evening, until he met a determined Jens Rasmussen. The two tangled and Jens accidentally rode over Erik's head. Lord knows how Erik escaped with just bruising.

There were so many instalments to this story, and I think it benefitted from regular rematches.

And of course occasionally another rider stole the thunder from Hans or Erik. Cue Cocker passing Erik from behind in the Golden Helmet at Oxford in 1986!! ;)

All the best

Rob

I agree to an extent however I do remember when Ole Olsen (as reigning 1971 World Champion) visited Oxford during my first year (1972) the interest that generated. During the middle/late eighties, because of the lack of teams competing in the British League, you would see the same riders on a regular basis and perhaps fans got a bit blase...I certainly used to! But I can see that some fans enjoyed the regularity.

I agree to an extent however I do remember when Ole Olsen (as reigning 1971 World Champion) visited Oxford during my first year (1972) the interest that generated. During the middle/late eighties, because of the lack of teams competing in the British League, you would see the same riders on a regular basis and perhaps fans got a bit blase...I certainly used to! But I can see that some fans enjoyed the regularity.

Olsen bothered turning up at Oxford for once? An unusual occurrence then ;)

I think Cowley was his 'Exeter' :D

All the best

Rob

• Like 1

All the best

Rob

I know you were a huge Hans fan,but i can always remember in a morning meeting a 3TT Shirra/Holloway getting a 5.1 over Nielsen Hans had a rare off day that morning.

All the best

Rob

You've obviously read my post elsewhere regarding Olsen's rare appearances at Cowley!!

Olsen was top class where ever he went, i will check the records he scored ok at Oxford for Wolves 70/ 71.

Sid,

I did some research and placed comments on the thread entitled Ole Olsen DVD in the 'Years Gone By' section!

Edited by steve roberts

Steve so you were not a fan, i can see why but for me a great rider one of the best.

I wasn't a great fan of Olsen but I recognised his achievements. Remember seeing him throw his title hopes away when he fell whilst trying to pass Christer Lofqvist during the 1972 World Final.

Best World Champion in my time? I would have to say Ivan Mauger (although Nielsen was a close second...but I would say that!)

I wasn't a great fan of Olsen but I recognised his achievements. Remember seeing him throw his title hopes away when he fell whilst trying to pass Christer Lofqvist during the 1972 World Final.

Best World Champion in my time? I would have to say Ivan Mauger (although Nielsen was a close second...but I would say that!)

Nielsen Steve,i was never a fan but in the late eighties i changed my mind for me a better rider than Ricko if there was a GP series in his day he could of won 8 titles a class act.
  • Like 2

One of my great memories was my weekly trips to Wood Lane (White City) The first time I went on the occasion of the very first meeting I remember being blown away by the stadium! I know people often refer to the fact that there was no atmosphere but I used to sit near the starting gate and it generally was quite noisy and atmospheric. One second half I decided to sit right up under the roof on the first bend...no atmosphere there however! The 1976 Grand Prix Final (televised) was the first big meeting held there and I lost my usual seat having, instead, to re-locate to the third bend and remember the event attracting something like 37,000? The racing wasn't as bad as people have since commented upon. Saw some great racing there and Marek Cieslak was a master of the very flat outside passing numerous riders during his debut season (1977) Great Memories!

Edited by steve roberts

More based on what my dad used to tell me. ;)

He was very relieved when Oxford turned down Ole Olsen in 1975 and ended up with Dag Lovaas instead.

All the best

Rob

Pleased as punch when Dag Lovaas joined Oxford...a real favourite of mine! Shame that it didn't work out for him at White City.

Pleased as punch when Dag Lovaas joined Oxford...a real favourite of mine! Shame that it didn't work out for him at White City.

Although he was a vital part of their 1977 championship winning side.... his name was in every programme ;)

All the best

Rob

PS Steve, I can thoroughly recommend the Bank Holiday double-headers at Scunthorpe.

Edited by lucifer sam
  • Like 2

Although he was a vital part of their 1977 championship winning side.... his name was in every programme ;)

All the best

Rob

PS Steve, I can thoroughly recommend the Bank Holiday double-headers at Scunthorpe.

I nearly gave Scunthorpe a go last season but decided not to bother...something to consider!

Somehow White City never really done it for me.I was at the first meeting on re-opening and the next 10 or so,then hardly went again.The World Team Cup final when Oz won,being an exception

I enjoyed my visits to Eastbourne,Crayford and then later Arena Essex far more

Edited by iris123
  • Like 1

A real mixed bag of results for Olsen at Oxford from 1970-74.1970 he scored 17(6), beaten once by Holmqvist 1971- (ex in heat 1) 0(1). 1972- 15 max 1973- 3(2) he fell was excluded in his second ride and withdrew. 1974_ He did not arrive.
  • Like 1

Somehow White City never really done it for me.I was at the first meeting on re-opening and the next 10 or so,then hardly went again.The World Team Cup final when Oz won,being an exception

I enjoyed my visits to Eastbourne,Crayford and then later Arena Essex far more

I enjoyed visiting Eastbourne back in the seventies when it was operating as a Second Division/National League team. Of course the White City team moved there in 1979 and I felt that it lost something...and I didn't like it when the first and second bends were altered during the early 2000s (?)

A real mixed bag of results for Olsen at Oxford from 1970-74.1970 he scored 17(6), beaten once by Holmqvist 1971- (ex in heat 1) 0(1). 1972- 15 max 1973- 3(2) he fell was excluded in his second ride and withdrew. 1974_ He did not arrive.

Check out my comment on the Ole Olsen DVD thread regarding 1975!