British Speedway Forum

Your Own Great Memories.?

stratton

One (or two I suppose!) of my best memories is seeing the two near end of season meetings at New Cross (The King of the South Cup and The Tom Farndon Memorial Trophy) in 1961 when not only did the "Big Five" take part but also Jack Young back to his very best. Sadly, on neither occasion did all six compete together - Craven and Knutson missed the KotS Cup and Fundin missed the TF Trophy - but, seeing all those greats together was incredible, especially as the winner on both occasions was Jack Young.

I did see the Big Five all together in the International Final at Harringay in 1961, when they took the first five places. Another great meeting, which Ove Fundin won on an absolutely neutral track that hadn't been raced on since 1954.

I don't envy folk much.

But in this case I make an exception - I envy you.

• Like 1

One (or two I suppose!) of my best memories is seeing the two near end of season meetings at New Cross (The King of the South Cup and The Tom Farndon Memorial Trophy) in 1961 when not only did the "Big Five" take part but also Jack Young back to his very best. Sadly, on neither occasion did all six compete together - Craven and Knutson missed the KotS Cup and Fundin missed the TF Trophy - but, seeing all those greats together was incredible, especially as the winner on both occasions was Jack Young.

I did see the Big Five all together in the International Final at Harringay in 1961, when they took the first five places. Another great meeting, which Ove Fundin won on an absolutely neutral track that hadn't been raced on since 1954.

Sorry norbold. This was at Harringay in 1958 --

HARRINGAY 1958

29th October 1958 Harringay Stadium, London

Cavalcade of Speed Event

Match Races Ht1 Split Waterman bt Alf Hagon ?

Ht2 Ron How bt Danny Dunton ?

Final Split Waterman bt Ron How

and this in 1959

28th October 1959 Harringay Stadium, London

Harringay Racers 28 New Cross Rangers 26

(Challenge)

Edited by Guest

I guess it begs the question which riders I would have wanted to have see in action but didn't for obvious reasons...

Peter Craven

Tommy Farndon

Jack Parker

Jack Young

Lionel Van Praag

Sprouts Elder

Come immediately to mind but there would be countless others...

Edited by steve roberts
  • Like 1

One of my main regrets in speedway is not having seen Craven,Knutsson race live,both great riders.Knutsson for me goes down along with Lee,Collins,Gollob as someone who should of won more than 1 title they were all good anough to do it.

So jealous "Norbold" great days eh!

I guess it begs the question which riders I would have wanted to have see in action but didn't for obvious reasons...

Peter Craven

Tommy Farndon

Jack Parker

Jack Young

Lionel Van Praag

Sprouts Elder

Come immediately to mind but there would be countless others...

I'm intrigued in Max Grosskreutz, who apparently had a very unconventional style. He might he been the first-ever World Champion as well, but for an injury in 1936.

All the best

Rob

The main regret I have in Speedway is that I never saw Peter Craven. I have read about him and seen film but I never saw him ride in the flesh. I came to Speedway in 1964, sadly too late to see him. He is still one of my Speedway Heroes though.

One finished the night a hero

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qvb3kDJpR1w

The other finished a villain

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IRYM-qWMr6w

2 very similar first bends though, only difference is Hans didn't fall

Yep, the rules say you can't knock someone off. Penhall was good at not knocking people off. He didn't knock Kenny Carter off either :t:

No.Just no!

Hang on. I did say he was one of the very, very best. Just going by Banger Jansens interview in Classic Speedway a toss of the coin for gate positions might , MIGHT, have made the difference in his final title win.

Wish I had seen Ronnie Moore and Briggo at their absolute best. By the time I saw them they were both over the hill. Still absolute world class, still both able to win the British Championship in what was at the time a class field, but both on the way down and past their best. Would have loved to have seen them in their prime.

o

Others I would have liked to have seen : Aub Lawson, Jack Parker, Tommy Price, Split Waterman

I was limiting myself to five and chose those who I think were probably the most exciting riders....though, having said that, I've just realised I missed out George Newton......

There must be loads you could of named "norbold" riders, i have done research on and collected pictures of that really interest me are.Warren,Hunt,Oliver,Varey,both Johnsons( one kiwi),Fearman,Roccio,LIoyd and endless others the different era's really interests me. Edited by sidney

Peter Craven held the track record at Cowley (63 seconds) for eleven years before the track was shortened prior to the 1974 season when Phil Crump set a new record (63.2) When I first went to Cowley in 1972 the winning times fluctuated between the middle to late 60 seconds...often into the early 70s. His time of 63 seconds obviously demonstrated his very superior talent. Would have loved to have seen that race! Dave Perks eventually beat that time (62.8, if I recall, in 1980) but as mentioned the track length had been altered.

Peter Craven held the track record at Cowley (63 seconds) for eleven years before the track was shortened prior to the 1974 season when Phil Crump set a new record (63.2) When I first went to Cowley in 1972 the winning times fluctuated between the middle to late 60 seconds...often into the early 70s. His time of 63 seconds obviously demonstrated his very superior talent. Would have loved to have seen that race! Dave Perks eventually beat that time (62.8, if I recall, in 1980) but as mentioned the track length had been altered.

Can you remember the big individual meeting at Cowley in the 70s? i went to that a few times.For a couple of years when the new restaurant opened in the Hans years i went every week the Hans v Erik and Knudsen clashes were superb.
  • Like 1

There must be loads you could of named "norbold" riders, i have done research on and collected pictures of that really interest me are.Warren,Hunt,Oliver,Varey,both Johnsons( one kiwi),Fearman,Roccio,LIoyd and endless others the different era's really interests me.

Yes, of course, there were dozens of riders I'd like to have seen.

Of your list, I have seen Graham Warren, Ron Johnson and Ron Johnston.

Others I would like to have seen: Roger Frogley, Frank Arthur, Max Grosskreutz, Joe Abbott, Ginger Lees, Jack and Cordy Milne, Colin Watson, Frank Charles, Lionel Van Praag......see what I mean? This could go on for ever.......

• Like 1

Yes, of course, there were dozens of riders I'd like to have seen.

Of your list, I have seen Graham Warren, Ron Johnson and Ron Johnston.

Others I would like to have seen: Roger Frogley, Frank Arthur, Max Grosskreutz, Joe Abbott, Ginger Lees, Jack and Cordy Milne, Colin Watson, Frank Charles, Lionel Van Praag......see what I mean? This could go on for ever.......

Was Warren unlucky in your opinion not to be WC ? his name was always bandied about in the nearly men.

Was Warren unlucky in your opinion not to be WC ? his name was always bandied about in the nearly men.

I guess so, sidney.

He was ranked at no. 1 in the 1951 Stenners Annual (for 1950/51). Above Aub Lawson, Jack Parker and the World Champion, Fred Williams. He was favourite to win the 1950 World Final but ended the night in third spot with 12 points from four wins. His dropped points were in the 10th heat when, not being content with a second place, he fell whilst chasing the eventual winner, Freddie Williams, who won with 14 points. A second place would have earned him at least a run-off for the Championship.

Unfortunately he then suffered a serious crash in New Zealand over the winter in which he suffered a fractured skull and he was never quite the same again. If he hadn't suffered the injury, who knows? But yes, he is definitely one to be counted in any "nearly men" discussions.

• Like 1

been some famous comings together over the years, but dugard and Stefan Andersen was some punch!

Remember it well! Martin Dugard was a very skilful rider but had a temper to go with it (took after Bob I suppose!)

Can you remember the big individual meeting at Cowley in the 70s? i went to that a few times.For a couple of years when the new restaurant opened in the Hans years i went every week the Hans v Erik and Knudsen clashes were superb.

That would be the Champions Trophy I would imagine. Shame these meetings are no longer popular. Always attracted the star riders. Remember the Silver Plume at Swindon. It was always an attraction to see the star men (they would only visit perhaps once or maybe twice a year) and you mention Hans and Erik. We saw so much of Erik at Cowley due to the shortage and rearrangement of the league it no longer became a treat to see the World Champion as it once used to be.

I have always been interested in Wally Lloyd,my uncle always told me he was a exciting rider.

Wally Lloyd - older brother of Jeff Lloyd - was indeed a great rider to watch. I saw him many times when Belle Vue came to London in the 1940s while the first time I saw him was at my first speedway meeting. That was at New Cross in early April 1946.