British Speedway Forum

Your Own Great Memories.?

stratton

None other than Barry Briggs tipped Egon to win the title before the season had started.Coincidently the 1972 round up and 1973 preview also tipped Jerzy as a dark horse.But it is also quite sratange to think that setting up the track for anyone rider is the reason they win.It might give them that bit of advantage.But in this class of meeting surely it also give one or two others an advantage.Setting the track differently,just gives a different set of riders an advantage.I'd imagine the Poles always set their tracks up to suit their riders and so did they in other countries as far as they could with the weather

None other than Barry Briggs tipped Egon to win the title before the season had started.Coincidently the 1972 round up and 1973 preview also tipped Jerzy as a dark horse.But it is also quite sratange to think that setting up the track for anyone rider is the reason they win.It might give them that bit of advantage.But in this class of meeting surely it also give one or two others an advantage.Setting the track differently,just gives a different set of riders an advantage.I'd imagine the Poles always set their tracks up to suit their riders and so did they in other countries as far as they could with the weather

Penhall in 1982 certainly had home advantage, did that make a difference in the Carter incident??.i can always remember Ivan saying in 1973 that he feared Jerzy just as much as the Polish hotshot Zenon Plech.

One time when the track wasn't set up for home advantage was Wembley '75,which I was at.As it went we had the inofficial unauthorised watering of the track which was supposed to have ruined PCs chances......

Edited by iris123

One time when the track wasn't set up for home advantage was Wembley '75,which I was at.As it went we had the inofficial unauthorised watering of the track which was supposed to have ruined PCs chances......

That track was awful the dust was a joke,PC was in with a great shout before the watering.Always felt Ole would win it i thought Autrey could win in 78 and in 1981 did Silver prepare Wembley??that Wembley surface was decent. Edited by sidney

Penhall in 1982 certainly had home advantage, did that make a difference in the Carter incident??.i can always remember Ivan saying in 1973 that he feared Jerzy just as much as the Polish hotshot Zenon Plech.

Can someone be regarded as a true world champion when he can only win on his home turf?

To give Penhall his due he was a pretty decent rider and a formidable opponent wherever he went. Szczakiel on the other hand was rubbish most of the time away from Poland. A month after was awarded ( I won't say "won ") the world title became rode at Wembly in an international against GB and was totally humiliated, being bottom scorer and I think scored either 0 or 1 and that was pretty much the level of most of most of his matches away from Poland.

Can someone be regarded as a true world champion when he can only win on his home turf?

To give Penhall his due he was a pretty decent rider and a formidable opponent wherever he went. Szczakiel on the other hand was rubbish most of the time away from Poland. A month after was awarded ( I won't say "won ") the world title became rode at Wembly in an international against GB and was totally humiliated, being bottom scorer and I think scored either 0 or 1 and that was pretty much the level of most of most of his matches away from Poland.

Addio take a deep breath!! Jerzy was not RUBBISH he won the TITLE in 73 on merit Ivan made a mistake take that back Addio Jerzy was not rubbish believe me.

Szczakiel also won the World Pairs Title in 1971 with Andrzej Wyglenda with maximum points against New Zealand (Mauger and Briggs) and Sweden (Michanek and Persson) amongst others.

Which proves he was more inconsistant rather than useless.

Addio take a deep breath!! Jerzy was not RUBBISH he won the TITLE in 73 on merit Ivan made a mistake take that back Addio Jerzy was not rubbish believe me.

Szczakiel also won the World Pairs Title in 1971 with Andrzej Wyglenda with maximum points against New Zealand (Mauger and Briggs) and Sweden (Michanek and Persson) amongst others.

What I said was that he was mostly rubbish away from his home turf . He won the World Title and The World Pairs title in his home country. The previous occasion that he qualified for the World Final it was held in Sweden and he scored a big fat zero, same as he failed to score when he came to Wembly shortly after being awarded the World Title. I don't think he won anything worth winning outside of Poland.

My point was can a rider be regarded as a genuine world champion when he generally performs so badly away from his home territory. It is unprecedented that a World champion should have such a poor record away from home. When you look at the record of the other top stars of the era , Briggs, Mauger, Collins, Michanek etc they almost always bagged big points wherever they rode, Szczakiel had a poor record outside of Poland. Even Dave Lanning was scathing about him when he came to Wembly and scored 0.

Also some of the Better European riders over the years, never ever got there best aquipment here to ride on often they rode on inferior aquipment.

What I said was that he was mostly rubbish away from his home turf . He won the World Title and The World Pairs title in his home country. The previous occasion that he qualified for the World Final it was held in Sweden and he scored a big fat zero, same as he failed to score when he came to Wembly shortly after being awarded the World Title. I don't think he won anything worth winning outside of Poland.

My point was can a rider be regarded as a genuine world champion when he generally performs so badly away from his home territory. It is unprecedented that a World champion should have such a poor record away from home. When you look at the record of the other top stars of the era , Briggs, Mauger, Collins, Michanek etc they almost always bagged big points wherever they rode, Szczakiel had a poor record outside of Poland. Even Dave Lanning was scathing about him when he came to Wembly and scored 0.

Awarded? he won it on merit. Edited by sidney
  • Like 2

So how many Wembley riders won the World final at Wembley before they moved them away

If more non Wembley riders won than Wembley riders your argument dies a death.

I don't know the stats

At the end of the day it doesn't matter what sport it is if on the day you take your chances and win you're the champion NO ifs maybe's etc about it.

So how many Wembley riders won the World final at Wembley before they moved them away

I don't know the stats

At the end of the day it doesn't matter what sport it is if on the day you take your chances and win you're the champion NO ifs maybe's etc about it.

Then it's well done to Germany's Egon Muller and Poland's Jerzy Szczakiel?

Edited by Guest

I don't know the stats

There were three Wembley riders who won the World Championship. Lionel Van Praag, Tommy Price and Freddie Williams (twice).

From the 1972 Webster's Speedway Mirror in an article entitled,"The Sixteen Countries of Europe" by Ian MacDonald:

"The Poles themselves are still Eastern Europe's top speedway country......The international days of Pawel Waloszek and Antoni Woryna seem numbered but there is still an awful lot of talent over there. Leading the way is Jerzy Szczakiel and how the Poles could have left him out of their World Cup team is one of speedway's real mysteries...."

The whole article is headed by a half page photograph of Szczakiel.

From the 1972 Webster's Speedway Mirror in an article entitled,"The Sixteen Countries of Europe" by Ian MacDonald:

"The Poles themselves are still Eastern Europe's top speedway country......The international days of Pawel Waloszek and Antoni Woryna seem numbered but there is still an awful lot of talent over there. Leading the way is Jerzy Szczakiel and how the Poles could have left him out of their World Cup team is one of speedway's real mysteries...."

The whole article is headed by a half page photograph of Szczakiel.

What happened to Ian MacDonald? I worked with him in the early 1970s when he was editor of 'Speedway Mail'.