British Speedway Forum

Your Own Great Memories.?

stratton

Remember well the occasion "Uncle Len' tried a fast one (and got away with it!) when City 'Rebels' rode at Hackney in 1977. Mick Hines was down in the programme to ride as a guest replacement for Marek Cieslak only for Len, as the meeting was due to start, put in a protest stating that Mick had ridden at Waterden Road only the week before. He was technically right but it did go against the grain considering that Mick's name was already printed in the programme. Len obviously wanted to play his card leaving 'The Rebels' a rider short! However cometh the hour (if I recall Roger Abel was promoted into the team as a replacement) 'The Rebels' went about sorting out "The Hawks' in an enthralling match. The race that sticks forever in my mind was the wheel to wheel battle between Gordon Kennett and Hackney's guest Peter Collins. Gordon on the inside and Peter the outside...no quarter given and no dirty stuff...just respect for each other. The race ended in a dead heat and, yes, 'The Rebels' just pipped 'The Hawks' to win the match! A great meeting on a perfect race track!

Blimey, what a memory! My main recollection of 77 (apart from Dave Morton's sickening crash) is how good Keith White was. He was averaging about 8 points a meeting and was five rides away from his world final debut, all at the age of 21.

Then he seemed to lose it and was never the same after that, even though he didn't suffer any injuries. I guess he just peaked early.

• Like 1

gulf oil british league....amazing times, big league, teams just once a year (except cup), no doubling up, no double points,

same 1-7 (not going awol for gps), top quality individual events, golden helmet, large crowds!!

As the song goes- Those were the days, my friend!

• Like 3

Maybe it's a case of rose tinted classes but even the second halves seemed important to fans and riders back in the day.were they stopped for financial reasons or did everyone lose interest in them?cant remember the reason now

riders were fully commited at individual meetings mid season, before world qualifiers. it wouldn't happen today.

loved individual leathers as well

• Like 1

When Hackney were away to Wolverhampton (the only other Friday night British league team) throughout the seventies, we used to hold an individual meeting called Superama with a line-up to equal any world final, to keep the regulars happy. Wolves had such good crowds that they weren't bothered about the lack of away support.

Can you imagine something like that happening today!

Got a superb full lot in the Mike Keen benefit meeting, at Hackney when he challenged for the helmet he showed great form.He was also decent for Reading/Oxford i don't think he was keen on the White City track to be honest.

Remember it well. The weather was awful! He used to practice on ice to perfect his throttle control. Desperately wanted to ride for Oxford and got his wish but I think that he lost his enthusiasm (and nerve) when 'The Rebels' moved to Wood Lane. Never mastered the track. I think that he was still riding a JAP and the engine just didn't suit the White City circuit. I actually presented him with a bottle of bubbly at the last match of the season at Cowley!

When Hackney were away to Wolverhampton (the only other Friday night British league team) throughout the seventies, we used to hold an individual meeting called Superama with a line-up to equal any world final, to keep the regulars happy. Wolves had such good crowds that they weren't bothered about the lack of away support.

Can you imagine something like that happening today!

Hardly. :sad: :sad: :sad:

Remember it well. The weather was awful! He used to practice on ice to perfect his throttle control. Desperately wanted to ride for Oxford and got his wish but I think that he lost his enthusiasm (and nerve) when 'The Rebels' moved to Wood Lane. Never mastered the track. I think that he was still riding a JAP and the engine just didn't suit the White City circuit. I actually presented him with a bottle of bubbly at the last match of the season at Cowley!

Wasn't he only in his mid twenties when he retired? Such a shame, a brilliant rider, much loved at Hackney. Wish he'd stayed for longer.

• Like 1

Wasn't he only in his mid twenties when he retired? Such a shame, a brilliant rider, much loved at Hackney. Wish he'd stayed for longer.

Yes he was. A very classy rider. He had a bad crash with Trevor Hedge at Wood Lane in 1976 and he admitted that he lost his nerve (interview in 'Backtrack' magazine some years ago) His brother, Ulf (another favourite of mine), rode for Cradley and Oxford but his style was so very different.

Sorry Sidney to bring this one up but one of my great memories was the Swindon v Oxford (BL) clash at the tail end of the 1986 season. 'The Cheetahs' gave 'The Robins' a real drubbing and my abiding memory was Per Sorensen securing a paid maximum on his return to a track that had earlier discarded him. He must have been 'over the moon' with that performance. Per's signing really turned Oxford's season round and they went on to become invincible in all competitions that year!

There is some detective work needing to follow parts of this otherwise excellent thread. In some after a rider is named in a first Post, subsequent replies debate only 'he' is mentioned. Please always mention a name not only in a first Post but when replying to a previous Post.

There is some detective work needing to follow parts of this otherwise excellent thread. In some after a rider is named in a first Post, subsequent replies debate only 'he' is mentioned. Please always mention a name not only in a first Post but when replying to a previous Post.

Noted!

A favourite memory of mine took place at New Cross (v West Ham) on Wednesday, April 16, 1947.

It was in heat and involved the famed whiteliner Tommy Croombs (West Ham) who was making a come-back after retiring on the outbreak of WW2 in September 1939. The other rider was the then emergent New Cross rider Ray Moore.

The race was won by Ron Johnson (NX) from 'Uncle' Bob Harrison (WH), but the incident that stays with me was as follows. Croombs held a narrow lead over a persistent Moore doggedly tried to go round Croombs without success. Then on the third lap Moore changed tactics entering the pits bend and tried to pass Croombs on the inside.

It was an error that proved costly for Moore. Croombs was tucked on the white line and refused to budge as Moore drove hard inside him. Suddenly a surprised Moore found himself on the grass on the wrong side of the track and was disqualified. It was also a revelation to him and the spectators as to white Croombs was then known as one of speedway's finest white line riders.

Of minor interest, New Cross won the National League match 47-37.

A favourite memory of mine took place at New Cross (v West Ham) on Wednesday, April 16, 1947.

Cripes! That's before even I was born! A good memory though.

Tommy Croombs's son, Bobby, later rode for New Cross of course, though very rarely managed to finish four laps as he always seemed to fall off.

It was in heat and involved the famed whiteliner Tommy Croombs (West Ham) who was making a come-back after retiring on the outbreak of WW2 in September 1939. The other rider was the then emergent New Cross rider Ray Moore.

The race was won by Ron Johnson (NX) from 'Uncle' Bob Harrison (WH), but the incident that stays with me was as follows. Croombs held a narrow lead over a persistent Moore doggedly tried to go round Croombs without success. Then on the third lap Moore changed tactics entering the pits bend and tried to pass Croombs on the inside.

It was an error that proved costly for Moore. Croombs was tucked on the white line and refused to budge as Moore drove hard inside him. Suddenly a surprised Moore found himself on the grass on the wrong side of the track and was disqualified. It was also a revelation to him and the spectators as to white Croombs was then known as one of speedway's finest white line riders.

Of minor interest, New Cross won the National League match 47-37.

Cripes! That's before even I was born! A good memory though.

Tommy Croombs's son, Bobby, later rode for New Cross of course, though very rarely managed to finish four laps as he always seemed to fall off.

I knew Bobby Croombs and his dad Tommy quite well in the late 1950sand early 1960s. As you say norbold, Bobby also rode for New Cross at one time.

http://www.speedwayatoz.co.uk/bobbycroombs.html

...and here's brief item on Bobby's dad Tommy Croombs.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Tommy_Croombs

Edited by Guest

One of the best meetings in living memory at Oxford was the 1985 Knock Out Cup Final between Oxford and Ipswich. The meeting had everything and the tie was in the balance right until the very last race. The Oxford pair of Simon Wigg and Troy Butler only needed to split 'The Witches' (John Cook and Jem Doncaster) to secure the match. The Ipswich pair gated as one leaving Simon Wigg trailing. However on exiting the fourth bend John Cook rather bizarrely took Doncaster out allowing the Oxford pair thru'. Was it on purpose? Forever remains a mystery. I did once put it to John Berry and he was equally mystified by Cook's antics.

1986. Swindon v Oxford. Swindon had just dropped Per Sorensen and Oxford signed him.

Swindon 28 Oxford 50 (may have been even more than that, can't quite remember) and Per scored a paid maximum. Happy days!

Yes it was alway great putting one over 'The Budgies!'...trouble is the following season they got their own back by beating 'The Cheetahs' at Cowley! Those local derbies between the Oxford 'Cheetahs', Swindon 'Budgies' and the Reading 'Berks' always produced memorable moments!