British Speedway Forum

Bristol Bulldogs 1977-78

Gresham

The frustrating thing is that Avonmouth would be the perfect place for a speedway track. In Bristol but in industrial Bristol and not residential Bristol so unlikely to ever be effected by houses.

IIRC 'no house within 3 miles'. I guess that all we can do is keep our fingers crossed for someone with the necessary deep pockets to happen by ..

The Poole line up in the 1978 picture left to right is Malcolm Simmons, Andrezj Tkocz, Christer Sjosten, Colin Gooddy, Neil Middleditch, Martin Yeates and Mike Curoso..................

Hope that helps

RP

• Like 1

The frustrating thing is that Avonmouth would be the perfect place for a speedway track. In Bristol but in industrial Bristol and not residential Bristol so unlikely to ever be effected by houses.

Wasn't there a local tv news story on the proposed track at Avonmouth that also featured Glenn Cunningham??

Sure I remember seeing it.

Best place I've seen for a Speedway track close to Bristol, is just off Jctn 18 of the M4. It's already a MX facility. Easy access and no houses for miles.

All can be seen on here... http://swtrax.co.uk/direction/

If you google earth the site, you can see how suitable it is.

Edited by Gresham

Best place I've seen for a Speedway track close to Bristol, is just off Jctn 18 of the M4. It's already a MX facility. Easy access and no houses for miles.

All can be seen on here... http://swtrax.co.uk/direction/

If you google earth the site, you can see how suitable it is.

That really reminds me of the setup that was intended on the MX side at Avonmouth. I wonder if it's the same people?

• Like 1

That really reminds me of the setup that was intended on the MX side at Avonmouth. I wonder if it's the same people?

I'm not sure...but I've been up there in the past to take a look, and couldn't think of any better place for a modern speedway track....it ticks so many box's.

At that time there were plans to redevelop Ashton Gate, the 1.5 million was the estimated cost of moving the location of the proposed new stands to make the room needed to get the track in.

With respect....I'd imagine that estimate is miles off. 1.5 Million....to knock down a stand and build another one? I'd imagine it was the Williams stand, as that is the only stand that has room behind it for width needed.

the 1.5 million was the extra needed abopve the planned rebuild to move it rather than rebuilding it wherer it was and it was 12 years ago

Fair enough...but I fail to understand how you move a solid Williams stand, without knocking it down and rebuilding it.

How do you do that?

Fantastic memories. Crowds of 10,000 each week, tremendous promotion - wheelie contests, interviews, visits to the pits. Great memories. Hard believe it was nearly 40 years ago.

All ended due to politics and the petition to keep the sport at Eastville totalled 100,000. Yes, you read that right One hundred thousend.

Still find it hard to believe how it was allowed to happen, it was an utter disgrace.

• Like 2

Fair enough...but I fail to understand how you move a solid Williams stand, without knocking it down and rebuilding it.

How do you do that?

The way I read it is the stand was going to be rebuilt.For a speedway track to be put in place the stand would have been rebuilt in a new area,rather than on the spot of the old stand.Obviously the new area would be quite near the spot of the old stand,but not exactly on that spot.So no moving an old stand to a new area

Only went once ... good crowds but not impressed with the track

had to check I was on the right thread - for a second thought Id clicked on Leicester by mistake! wink