British Speedway Forum

Swindon Stadium

11 hours ago, Speedtiger said:

Agreed things seem to be very slow but Swindon Promoters should stick at it same as Belle Vue did, I think it took them about 10 or 11 years and look what they have achieved so it can be done. 

Not sure Belle Vue were dealing with gaming international .

• Like 2

12 minutes ago, Speedtiger said:

Fair point. But nothing like doing this is easy. Sure Manchester Council were tough to deal with. 

Not as  tough as a company who have no plans to built a stadium at all .

• Like 2

1 hour ago, cityrebel said:

I'd be amazed if any new stadium got built in the current financial climate. Staying in business would be an achievement.

i'd be amazed if it got built in any climate 

• Like 1

9 hours ago, Speedtiger said:

Then from what you are saying it doesn’t look like a Robins new stadium. What are the club saying to fans? 

Its amazing  about ..50% still think its going to happen and still cheer and say great news when the latest lie comes along … not sure how many years and bull it takes for the penny to drop .. I bet Clark and co cant believe there luck how gullible these people are 

• Like 7

30 minutes ago, eric i said:

Has anyone been to look at the stadium in storage?

The storage company is withholding the keys until the rental fees are paid!!;);)

Incidentally this week's SS has a more up-to-date (and realistic maybe) report on the latest info.

Edited by Skidder1
  • Like 1
  • Confused 1

1 hour ago, bellevueace said:

There were plenty of people being negative about the NSS ever being built, they were wrong so why shouldnt Swindon also succeed

Have you  been reading the whole topic .. its been explained why .

20 hours ago, bellevueace said:

There were plenty of people being negative about the NSS ever being built, they were wrong so why shouldnt Swindon also succeed? Hope they do.

They are called "Gaming International".

Also, read into Torquay United Football Club and stadium.

• Like 1

Was the NSS ever planned to be a Speedway Stadium ? Its my understanding thats its part of the Legacy of the 2002 Commonwealth games, indeed were it not for Manchester Council allegedly writing off monies its doubteful if Speedway would still be at the NSS. Its just a pity Birmingham (Host city of the next Commonwealth Games) could not leave a Legacy similar to the NSS ;).

Edited by greyhoundp

19 minutes ago, greyhoundp said:

Was the NSS ever planned to be a Speedway Stadium ? Its my understanding thats its part of the Legacy of the 2002 Commonwealth games, indeed were it not for Manchester Council allegedly writing off monies its doubteful if Speedway would still be at the NSS. Its just a pity Birmingham (Host city of the next Commonwealth Games) could not leave a Legacy similar to the NSS ;).

The east side of Manchester is a sports village spread over a large area. The true legacy of the Commonwealth games is the main stadium for athletics etc, which is now Manchester City football club, plus the the cycling velodrome which is now the National Velodrome. See the title National Velodrome..... I would suggest Manchester City Council embraced a new speedway stadium for the most famous speedway team in the world, Belle Vue, because it would be called the National Speedway Stadium. Indeed, they may, I don’t know, have insisted if they were to invest money then the stadium had to be called National Speedway Stadium. I don’t know what the ground the new NSS stands on was used for but it is next to a road on one side (grandstand side), an indoor sport facility (turn 1 & 2), houses (back straight), and 3 outdoor pitches (turn 3/4). All these were in place before the speedway track/stadia was built. The track, grandstand and back straight are all brand new.  You recall the new BVue got off to a bad start when the first meeting, Peter Craven Memorial, which attracted a world class field (which had to be paid for) was called off (when the stadium was full) due to problems on bends 3/4 which had nothing to do with BV management but all to do with Man.City Council sub contractors. BV invested a lot of money on the first meeting, punters had to be refunded, leaving BV playing catch up all year money wise.

• Like 2