British Speedway Forum

Swindon Stadium

As I live in York I am only able to 'grasp' what I hear from others! As I initiated this thread it was based on a conversation I had with a group of Swindon visitors who explained that demolition had begun. I have tried to obtain information via the internet (yes I am well able to 'think' for myself!) but the information is vague to say the very least. I accessed the Swindon Dogs web-site to find that meetings/bookings were still taking place contrary to what others have been implying. So please don't patronise me with your comments!

Thank you for the information. Greatly appreciated!

Many thanks for the information! It confirms what I have found having accessed the Dog Racing web-site. As I live afar the information I have been given and/or read strongly suggested that the stadium was due for demolition. This is obviously not the case and therefore I can only conclude that speedway will continue for the forceable future at the present location (ie next season) We await with baited breath!

You only have only got to read this web site to find out the present situation is or as you have stated in your last para check out the dog racing prog.

The away team pits were demolished mid way through last season in order to allow access for the housing developers, but there would need to be planning permission granted before wholesale demolition of the stadium could begin.

As of yet, no detailed planning permission for the new stadium or demolition of the existing stadium had been applied for.

I sincerely hope that I am wrong - but I find that profoundly worrying.

Ignoring, of course, the part that the Labour government did to provide that situation, when the finances were woefully weak and unable to ride the difficulties. Never a good idea to try and rewrite the history to cover your erse.

I dispute your assessment of the current situation, but just think it could have affected everyone and the country, if Labour had bankrupted the nation and we were well on the way to do so.

We had some great years under Labour, but like all party's that stay in power to long, they got to big for their boots, having said all that this shower that's in now have known for years the threats we face from Islamic terrorist, yet they still cut our police force to the bare bones whilst also putting thousands of our forces on the dole. Still never mind because those monsters that attacked Paris on Friday night wouldn't dare do it over here...........would they.

We had some great years under Labour, but like all party's that stay in power to long, they got to big for their boots, having said all that this shower that's in now have known for years the threats we face from Islamic terrorist, yet they still cut our police force to the bare bones whilst also putting thousands of our forces on the dole. Still never mind because those monsters that attacked Paris on Friday night wouldn't dare do it over here...........would they.

Ignoring the fact of course that these cuts are to get us out of the financial mess that your caring lot left us in. Move on. Watch the news and see what this government is preparing to do. Then watch the other bit on the news to see what your leader is not prepared to do.

....and now back to the Swindon Stadium.

Edited by Tsunami
  • Like 1

Ignoring the fact of course that these cuts are to get us out of the financial mess that your caring lot left us in. Move on. Watch the news and see what this government is preparing to do. Then watch the other bit on the news to see what your leader is not prepared to do.

Apologies for being off topic but the above post needs to be put into some perspective :-

1. Cameron hasn't a clue about how deep his cuts go...

http://www.theguardian.com/commentisfree/2015/nov/11/david-cameron-letter-cuts-oxfordshire

2. Police force to stop investigating minor crimes..(from the Daily Mail)...

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-3320883/Surrey-Police-force-says-stop-investigating-minor-crimes-forced-make-25-million-worth-cuts.html

Anyway, it's been a good night for me, I've had an excellent evening out including free meals and filled up the car for zilch too.. :rofl:

Apologies for being off topic but the above post needs to be put into some perspective :-

1. Cameron hasn't a clue about how deep his cuts go...

http://www.theguardian.com/commentisfree/2015/nov/11/david-cameron-letter-cuts-oxfordshire

2. Police force to stop investigating minor crimes..(from the Daily Mail)...

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-3320883/Surrey-Police-force-says-stop-investigating-minor-crimes-forced-make-25-million-worth-cuts.html

Anyway, it's been a good night for me, I've had an excellent evening out including free meals and filled up the car for zilch too.. :rofl:

,,,,and back to Swindon Stadium.

• Like 2

The away team pits were demolished mid way through last season in order to allow access for the housing developers, but there would need to be planning permission granted before wholesale demolition of the stadium could begin.

As of yet, no detailed planning permission for the new stadium or demolition of the existing stadium had been applied for.

Unless it is listed, then it is not usually necessary for planning permission to knock down a building. The planning permission is only needed to rebuild and with a derelict eyesore of a piece of land is often granted. Long Eaton/Dudley Wood etc

Unless it is listed, then it is not usually necessary for planning permission to knock down a building. The planning permission is only needed to rebuild and with a derelict eyesore of a piece of land is often granted. Long Eaton/Dudley Wood etc

Do you not find it worrying, that no Planning Permission for the new Stadium has yet been submitted.

I know I do.

Do you not find it worrying, that no Planning Permission for the new Stadium has yet been submitted.

I know I do.

Outline planning permission has been submitted and accepted, but detailed planning permission is held up due to two issues that need to be resolved. One is a drainage issue and the second is a noise abatement method, the answers to these need to be submitted to the council before agreement to build can start. As has been mentioned earlier the likely timescale is that these issues that should have been sorted ages ago could now go before a planning meeting in early 2016.

Shambolic, then. Noise abatement is a joke, but should have been sorted out ages ago. A speedway stadium only operates for a few hours a week anyway. I had thought with Doyle signing this thread would have been full of good news. Surely to goodness Swindon haven't let themselves be hoodwinked?

• Like 1

Shambolic

Shambolic, then. Noise abatement is a joke, but should have been sorted out ages ago. A speedway stadium only operates for a few hours a week anyway. I had thought with Doyle signing this thread would have been full of good news. Surely to goodness Swindon haven't let themselves be hoodwinked?

Agree entirely! The whole Swindon Stadium scenario has been a public relations shambles! Having declared an 'End of Abbey Stadium' meeting without knowing what the future holds just smacks of incompetence and a lack of foresight (whoever is to blame) One can only hope that the people of Swindon have the opportunity to continue following speedway (however it seems very unlikely, at present, at a new stadium in the forceable future) and that it doesn't go the same way as Oxford and Reading!

Shambolic

Agree entirely! The whole Swindon Stadium scenario has been a public relations shambles! Having declared an 'End of Abbey Stadium' meeting without knowing what the future holds just smacks of incompetence and a lack of foresight (whoever is to blame) One can only hope that the people of Swindon have the opportunity to continue following speedway (however it seems very unlikely, at present, at a new stadium in the forceable future) and that it doesn't go the same way as Oxford and Reading!

But if the stadium had closed without a "End" meeting, fans would have been similarly outraged that the Abbey Stadium had closed without a suitable closure meeting that you all wanted.

Damned if you do, or damned if you don't.

• Like 4

But if the stadium had closed without a "End" meeting, fans would have been similarly outraged that the Abbey Stadium had closed without a suitable closure meeting that you all wanted.

Damned if you do, or damned if you don't.

But that only applies if TR wasn't aware of the fact that the new stadium wasn't going to appear..

I have my doubts about that .

But that only applies if TR wasn't aware of the fact that the new stadium wasn't going to appear..

I have my doubts about that .

Yes, but you have doubts about everything and contribute nothing.

I have no doubts about the integrity of the BSPA and their hangers on, or the direction the sport is going in .

Funny i've never heard you say that before. Keep posting the Jokes but, as they are usually good.

Funny i've never heard you say that before. Keep posting the Jokes but, as they are usually good.

I tell you what , you keep posting , trying to convince everyone what a genuine bunch your buddies are , and I will carry on posting my thoughts based on the real evidence that presents itself as the season progresses.