British Speedway Forum

Swindon Stadium

Entertaining though this thread is ........ really,  a speedway track so close to a new housing development that the shale will pepper the residents washing as it hangs out to dry. I am minded to think of a well known bedding shop - DREAMS.

Sittingbourne have had severe planning restrictions with noise barriers,  and an 8.30pm curfew, on a track located on an industrial estate, due to one resident who lives a a mile away from the stdium. Appeals have been rejected. 

Hundreds of new homeowners, none of whom are likely to be faintly interested in Speedway will not put up with the noise and dust from a speedway track in their back yards.

• Haha 1

11 minutes ago, old bob at herne bay said:

Entertaining though this thread is ........ really,  a speedway track so close to a new housing development that the shale will pepper the residents washing as it hangs out to dry. I am minded to think of a well known bedding shop - DREAMS.

Sittingbourne have had severe planning restrictions with noise barriers,  and an 8.30pm curfew, on a track located on an industrial estate, due to one resident who lives a a mile away from the stdium. Appeals have been rejected. 

Hundreds of new homeowners, none of whom are likely to be faintly interested in Speedway will not put up with the noise and dust from a speedway track in their back yards.

So how many new houses have been built and occupied since speedway last ran there in 2019? I thought there was a ban on any more new builds?

Edited by Skidder1

1 hour ago, old bob at herne bay said:

no problem at NSS houses right behind back straight just seperated by a wall  and houses across the road on grandstand side !!

1 hour ago, Skidder1 said:

So how many new houses have been built and occupied since speedway last ran there in 2019? I thought there was a ban on any more new builds?

New developments usually have to have an element of social housing, so maybe that is where they are located? :unsure: 

I know we've had this headline before, but the Adver is now reporting that work has started on the new stadium. 

Work starts on Swindon Speedway's new Abbey Stadium | Swindon Advertiser

• Like 2

1 hour ago, hagonshocker said:

No social housing as far as I know

About 20% is social housing but don't know if they are near track. Fantastic news.

Edited by auntie doris
  • Like 3

15 hours ago, Skidder1 said:

Just a few more near to main stand. One of the main sponsors lives just over road. So more or less same as 2019. Most roads are named after ex riders. Most fans had given up hope, including a sponsor. 

Edited by auntie doris

1 hour ago, auntie doris said:

Just a few more near to main stand. One of the main sponsors lives just over road. So more or less same as 2019. Most roads are named after ex riders. Most fans had given up hope, including a sponsor. 

Its great news as confirmed in the Adver.  Now lets wait for the deluge of doom mongers to come and apologise!!:rofl::party::nono:

• Like 1

3 hours ago, HackneyHawk said:

Why are we discussing social housing?

I think we're supposed to infer that they are less likely to complain about the noise, not sure if that would be true.

Never fails to amaze me that the folks near Brough Park don't go do lally as they overlook the pits and 1st bend.