British Speedway Forum

Lakeside 2016

If those reserve averages are correct, we could fit 2 riders with the ability to improve their averages:

Michael Jepsen Jensen 6.52

Mikkel Bech 6.16

= 12.68

Cook did mention a swap deal with Ellis, so maybe:

Davey Watt 7.19

Dakota North 5.91

= 13.1

More likely to have:

Davey Watt 7.19

Richard Lawson 5.65

= 12.84

AJ and Kennett are heat leaders. Nilsson is not. Or at least that how it should be. So you have to take that into account. MJJ should be, Mikkel Bech is cusp, depends on cut offs. Watt is a second string, North a heat leader and Lawson a second string.

I'm not sure if that helps or hinders :)

As for Mear, if his average is not 4.1 that's it for me with EL speedway. I'll be giving up on speedway-stats, cancelling sky and paying for bt sport to watch the GPs, I'll go to Cardiff and he SWC but the EL has become a farce.

Edited by SCB

AJ and Kennett are heat leaders. Nilsson is not. Or at least that how it should be. So you have to take that into account. MJJ should be, Mikkel Bech is cusp, depends on cut offs. Watt is a second string, North a heat leader and Lawson a second string.

I'm not sure if that helps or hinders :)

I don't know! As, I believe, Bech and Lawson rode most of 2015 as heat leaders (at no.s 3 & 5).

It would be nice for the governing body to provide info on all the riders so that us fans can amuse ourselves by putting together teams and discussing the pros and cons of them. it's good fun.

I gave up with going to away EL matches because of the farce I suffered a few years back when I booked days off work and a hotel stay for a trip to Poole, only to hear that Ford had cancelled the meeting as his team may lose! Fielding an under strength team, he called it. Like we have never had to do that on occassion!!

I just go to home meetings these days in the hope that amalgamation will occur soon and we can get back to more simpler days, with more racing and more variety. From what Jon Cook has said over the last couple of winters, regarding one big league split into north & south, that may not be far away at all!

Just to clarify, Jon Cook said last night that Rob Mear would be riding at 7 all season and would notbe going up into the 1-5, so it seems that only T1 riders will be moving. I would be very surprised if he made a mistake on something like that. We will have to wait and see what average he comes in on but I think it will be a 3.00

Just to clarify, Jon Cook said last night that Rob Mear would be riding at 7 all season and would notbe going up into the 1-5, so it seems that only T1 riders will be moving. I would be very surprised if he made a mistake on something like that. We will have to wait and see what average he comes in on but I think it will be a 3.00

Good. That being the case it appears the SS dd 24th October was incorrect.

I don't know! As, I believe, Bech and Lawson rode most of 2015 as heat leaders (at no.s 3 & 5).

Of the 20 meetings that make up a riders average I make it Lawson rode 19 meetings as a second string. Bech was 14 which as I said is borderline. Same with King at Coventry Edited by SCB

Correct me if I am wrong. I am looking at the BSPA announcement after the first part of the AGM in October, posted on the Lakeside website 19th Oct.

It says the draft system will be retained, then mentions modifications to Tier 1, I.e. They come in on a converted PL average and get an EL average after 4 meetings. Nothing is mentioned about Tier 2 so we assume no change, unless there is a subsequent announcement that I have missed.

It really isn't clear at all. 'They' can apply to the reserves or the tier 1 reserves .

As previously stated it makes sense that both tiers get averages it only for tier 1 to move into body of team.

It really isn't clear at all. 'They' can apply to the reserves or the tier 1 reserves .

As previously stated it makes sense that both tiers get averages it only for tier 1 to move into body of team.

I agree the BSPA are don't exactly have an enviable record of issuing clear and unambiguous press releases. I have done my best to interpret (guess) what I think they mean, but wouldn't stake my life on being 100% right about it!

I think a little help from the Plain English Society in preparing their press releases would be beneficial !

P.S. Word on the streets is that Wolves are having talks with KK. No wind up.

Edited by E I Addio
  • Like 1

I agree the BSPA are don't exactly have an enviable record of issuing clear and unambiguous press releases. I have done my best to interpret (guess) what I think they mean, but wouldn't stake my life on being 100% right about it!

I think a little help from the Plain English Society in preparing their press releases would be beneficial !

P.S. Word on the streets is that Wolves are having talks with KK. No wind up.

Not on the streets of Wolverhampton thankfully.

If those reserve averages are correct, we could fit 2 riders with the ability to improve their averages:

Michael Jepsen Jensen 6.52

Mikkel Bech 6.16

= 12.68

Cook did mention a swap deal with Ellis, so maybe:

Davey Watt 7.19

Dakota North 5.91

= 13.1

More likely to have:

Davey Watt 7.19

Richard Lawson 5.65

= 12.84

The first option please.........Lakeside need to look to the future and Davey Watt really isn't getting any better!!

the first option is the strongest, but probably doesn't work, as AJ, Kennett, Bech and MJJ should all be on the HL list.

The last option would mean only two HL. And of course Lakeside's issue the last season, was poor reserves and lack of HL.

Dak North is a good signing on that average, but North and Kennett as your 2nd/3rd HL hardly inspires confidence.

the first option is the strongest, but probably doesn't work, as AJ, Kennett, Bech and MJJ should all be on the HL list.

The last option would mean only two HL. And of course Lakeside's issue the last season, was poor reserves and lack of HL.

Dak North is a good signing on that average, but North and Kennett as your 2nd/3rd HL hardly inspires confidence.

It looks fairly certain that Bech won't be back. He is the only one of last seasons 1-5 that has not been offered a contract for next year. At his best he was quite outstanding but for every good meeting there were 3 or 4 not so good ones. He has had two seasons at Lakeside but to be brutally honest he is no further forward towards a heatleader role than he was two years ago and finished the season at No2. His average was under 6 before he dropped to second string. There seem to be worries that he is not a team man (few Danes are). I would like to see him back if he fulfills his potential but the home fans are not going to cut him any more slack if he were to come back and still not cut the mustard as a heat-leader

I don't think MJJ wants to ride over here, but even if he did he hasn't exactly established a good record for reliability in this country.

As for North, he is not good enough to fill the second heatleader role even in a weakened league. If he was that good Poole would have kept him.

Jon Cook and Neil Vatcher have. both acknowledged that Lakeside's immediate need is for a rider who can constantly support AJ in the big heats, 13 and 15. The the pattern of Lakeside's scoring in probabably 75 % of last seasons matches was that they would be doing pretty well to around heat 10 nd then fade. The problem is that of the riders likely to ride in the UK next year, very,very few of them are good enough to fill the role Lakeside want filled. I suppose that goes for several other clubs as well.

• Like 1

It looks fairly certain that Bech won't be back. He is the only one of last seasons 1-5 that has not been offered a contract for next year. At his best he was quite outstanding but for every good meeting there were 3 or 4 not so good ones. He has had two seasons at Lakeside but to be brutally honest he is no further forward towards a heatleader role than he was two years ago and finished the season at No2. His average was under 6 before he dropped to second string. There seem to be worries that he is not a team man (few Danes are). I would like to see him back if he fulfills his potential but the home fans are not going to cut him any more slack if he were to come back and still not cut the mustard as a heat-leader

I am just throwing out possibilities as to who could fit in the last 2 places.

I think that's rather harsh on a 20 year old, with only 2 years of experience in the the EL. After all, Kim Nilsson will be in his 6th year as a Hammer, he is still not a heat leader & has been released by the club in the past for under performance. Kennett is not a heat leader after 15 years of riding the EL tracks. Too much was expected of Bech too quickly.

Bech is just turned 21, so out of the U21's next year, and is ranked 4th in the World at that level. He wanted to join the Hammers, was always first out to congratulate and check on other riders after falls, has won races in both the GPs and the World Cup and is our second best away rider. Hammers fans want younger riders who can improve, and we have one in Bech.

Are we to expect Watt & Lawson to complete the team? That means only Nilsson would be under 30 in the top 5 and even one of the reserves would be 30ish. The other reserve, Mear, is 26 and been away from speedway for 3 years! Hardly looking to the future with that line-up.

It would probably be a relatively cheap team for the EL, which may be hugely important for us. But, Jon said he wants to be much better away and have a team that can compete in the play-offs. If the emphasis is now on winning at home with a cheapish team to keep the attendances up, then that's understandable. But Jon did say he wanted to compete, not just exist. Riders who can improve their averages will always make a team better.

It's a very big risk with the reserves, in my opinion. Both were out of the sport and Mear will only be riding EL, so won't get much practice on different kinds of tracks. It was his away form that got him dropped before, so I can't see that improving after 3 years not riding. Would be nice to hear that Blackbird is definitely riding and is looking forward to the new season.

If we include Lawson & Kennett, we must also make sure we arrange fixtures very carefully as both could miss multiple Friday meetings due to PL matches. As could Blackbird, if he rides and he is in the PL too!

Edited by Cliv Clav
  • Like 1

I think that's rather harsh on a 20 year old, with only 2 years of experience in the the EL. After all, Kim Nilsson will be in his 6th year as a Hammer, he is still not a heat leader & has been released by the club in the past for under performance. Kennett is not a heat leader after 15 years of riding the EL tracks. Too much was expected of Bech too quickly.

Bech is just turned 21, so out of the U21's next year, and is ranked 4th in the World at that level. He wanted to join the Hammers, was always first out to congratulate and check on other riders after falls, has won races in both the GPs and the World Cup and is our second best away rider. Hammers fans want younger riders who can improve, and we have one in Bech.

Are we to expect Watt & Lawson to complete the team? That means only Nilsson would be under 30 in the top 5 and even one of the reserves would be 30ish. The other reserve, Mear, is 26 and been away from speedway for 3 years! Hardly looking to the future with that line-up.

It would probably be a relatively cheap team for the EL, which may be hugely important for us. But, Jon said he wants to be much better away and have a team that can compete in the play-offs. If the emphasis is now on winning at home with a cheapish team to keep the attendances up, then that's understandable. But Jon did say he wanted to compete, not just exist. Riders who can improve their averages will always make a team better.

It's a very big risk with the reserves, in my opinion. Both were out of the sport and Mear will only be riding EL, so won't get much practice on different kinds of tracks. It was his away form that got him dropped before, so I can't see that improving after 3 years not riding. Would be nice to hear that Blackbird is definitely riding and is looking forward to the new season.

If we include Lawson & Kennett, we must also make sure we arrange fixtures very carefully as both could miss multiple Friday meetings due to PL matches. As could Blackbird, if he rides and he is in the PL too!

First of all, I don't want Dave Watt back. I thought he was excellent in 2013 and had some brilliant Heat 15s with PK in last heat decides, but that was probably the high water mark of his career , but times move on and the balance of the team is different now.

Kim has been an asset for 6 years but he hasn't been a Hammer all that time. He has increased his starting average every year he rode as a Hammer. As for being a heatleader, in the first 6 home meetings of 2015 he recorded 4 wins and 2 seconds, in heat 1 racing against the opposing No1. AJ didn't win any of them and plenty of other No1s didn't manage anything like that. Matej Zagar certainly didn't, so I think Kim is under rated even though inconsistent away.

The fact remains that Lakeside's 1-5 were averaging almost the same as Coventry and more than Kings Lynn so they weren't doing that bad a job despite a few howlers on the road.

Harsh on Bech it may be, but he was employed as second heatleader and didn't quite deliver. He wouldn't have lasted half a season at Poole. Ed Kennett impressed a lot of home fans. He was not voted rider of the year for no reason. Some of his passes were absolutely top drawer and it would be madness to get rid of someone who gets punters through the turnstiles even if his away form has room for improvement. So to strengthen up either Mikkel or Richard need to be moved. We are still stuck with the matter of who realistically is available to do the job. Batch would probably be the best of a poor bunch but I suspect he could be at Kings Lynn.

Edited by E I Addio
  • Like 1

The options at heat leader are very limited unfortunately.

I have a lot of respect for Davey but I would rather we signed someone else.

It's highly likely that Richard Lawson will be back so with about 7ish points to play with, who is a realistic target?

I really have no idea....bit like to assume that Jon does!

The options at heat leader are very limited unfortunately.

I have a lot of respect for Davey but I would rather we signed someone else.

It's highly likely that Richard Lawson will be back so with about 7ish points to play with, who is a realistic target?

I really have no idea....bit like to assume that Jon does!

7.47, exactly Chris Holder's average but I don't suppose it will be him lol.

Kim is good at home and very poor away. Think he only had one score over 5 points as a second string in a rain off at Coventry. Hope Iam wrong but think he's going to be a weak heat leader. Kennett was a must, he rides the arena track better than most and he's worth the admission money alone at times blasting round the fence.

Kim is good at home and very poor away. Think he only had one score over 5 points as a second string in a rain off at Coventry. Hope Iam wrong but think he's going to be a weak heat leader. Kennett was a must, he rides the arena track better than most and he's worth the admission money alone at times blasting round the fence.

That Coventry meeting was a joke and I'd take very little from it. What I will say, is Kim is a pretty good wet weather rider as he was the only rider to put up any resistance when Coventry whooped you at home in 2014 on a wet track.

Kim has been an asset for 6 years but he hasn't been a Hammer all that time. He has increased his starting average every year he rode as a Hammer. As for being a heatleader, in the first 6 home meetings of 2015 he recorded 4 wins and 2 seconds, in heat 1 racing against the opposing No1. AJ didn't win any of them and plenty of other No1s didn't manage anything like that. Matej Zagar certainly didn't, so I think Kim is under rated even though inconsistent away.

Kim definitely had his best year in the UK in 2015, he was my tip for rider of the year. He did benefit from the inside gates in heat 1 & his scoring is based on trapping. He is very cautious around others when racing is very close and never gets a little physical on track, similar to JD in that respect. If he had an average of 5 or 6 I would say he is a great signing. He may struggle to maintain a 6.98 average though. If he stays at number 2, that would help him to achieve it.

I would still like some riders who will improve in the sport. I am not sure any of the riders discussed outside of Bech, can became better riders with more experience in this country. This is also why lots of other teams would love to sign Bech, but not many would fall over themselves to sign Kennett or Kim.

In the middle & lower parts of the team, you should try to get riders that can improve their starting averages. That's why I considered riders like North & Jepsen Jensen.

I think we may end up having lots of guests to replace Kennett, Blackbird (if he rides) & Lawson (if included) as there could be lots of fixture clashes. Especially on Good Friday!

Let's just hope for dominance around Arena to maintain a good crowd size. That must be our top priority every season until we have our future secured. I would like to see a committee formed to aid the team publicise in the local area. If some of the fans, with a little spare time worked with Jon, I am sure we could increase knowledge of the sport and get more first timers into the meetings.