British Speedway Forum

Lakeside 2016

Bjarne he isn't. A second heatleader he isn't. A team player he isn't. Good on away tracks he isn't.

Talented he is. Exciting he is ( at least he is at Lakeside).

He won't put Lakeside in the play offs but he will keep Lakeside away from the bottom of the table, and he will be a big asset in helping the Hammers to keep a good home record which will be essential in this years league, with a lot of teams that will struggle away.

I would rather have had Bjarne, but Lewis is probably the best of what's left and if he is as spectacular as he was in the last few months of 2014 he will get a few extra punters through the turnstiles, so we have to give him (another) chance and see how it goes.

Bjarne he isn't. - thankfully

A second heat leader he isn't. - during his last hammers spell that's where he finished up

A team player he isn't. - I disagree. Saw a lot of team spirit from Lewis

Good on away tracks he isn't - That's why Poole were sniffing around and using him as a guest

• Like 1

A team player he isn't. - I disagree. Saw a lot of team spirit from Lewis

Dave Watt would disagree with that. There was a big row when Lewis nearly put him in the fence. I like Lewis to talk to but he did cut a bit of a lone figure in the pits and since Kelvin and Stuart Douglas was emphasising the need for team spirit at the forum its one of the things that will have to be sorted out . The sort of thing Kelvin was talking about was something more than just getting along with people.

At the fans forum last week Jon and Kelvin said they had a long meeting with Lewis (about 3hours I think they said) and Kelvin was saying he thought Lewis had sorted out a lot of his personal problems and was in a better place mentally than he had been for a long time. Jon had also met with Revolution Speedway who are backing Lewis B. and Lewis Kerr. They seem to be providing solid financial support and I doubt if they would be doing that unless they were satisfied of his commitment as they seem to be a very professional outfit.

I think Revolution Speedway hold the key to a lot of it. When Lewis was really flying in 2014 he had the two best engines he had ever had, one of them was a GM from Peter Johns that suited Lewis riding style of riding the bike very hard, like Peter Kildemand., I think the engines he gets form Revolution will need to be equally as good We shall have to see but they are Jawas which most riders don't favour over here although I think Kim Nilsson was riding one until recently, and possibly still is. That is where the real unknown quantity really lies. It seems Lewis Kerr is putting a lot of effort into his fitness and also practicing all over the place so maybe Lewis B will be joining him on that. One thing that nobody could fault Lewis Bridger on was his work ethic in training.

The other unknown quantity is whether LBR will be riding anywhere else. In 2014 he was riding in Poland and doing very well, albeit in a lower league but it was keeping him sharp and keeping his confidence up. We don't know whats happening on that front but its probably important that he gets more racing than the intermittent Elite League.

As with the rest of the team so much depends on Kelvin in his "George Martin " role.

• Like 1

Statman does the text updates at Somerset home matches ;)

How many last chance saloons are there though? Didn't he have one of those at Eastbourne when he thumped a guy in a nightclub? Or did he not get one of those when he head butted a fan at Lakeside? Or maybe even when he opted out half way through a season at Lakeside? Or perhaps when he counted himself in for the new season at Coventry before opting out again?

Don't forget his aborted come-back last season for the Lions, sooner or later he'll run out of tracks to give him any more chances, if he blows out at Lakeside..

• Like 1

Don't forget his aborted come-back last season for the Lions, sooner or later he'll run out of tracks to give him any more chances, if he blows out at Lakeside..

Let's be a bit more positive. Cookie won't have signed him on a whim. I am sure he has a reason to be confident. Up the Hammers!

Sure Bjarne is in the twilight of his career and past his prime. But one thing you do get with Bjarne is that he is 100% professional, and totally reliable. Don't throw what about Leicester, because it was clear he had major issues with the promotion and track.

He was excellent for Poole and Eastbourne, and rides Lakeside well. Clearly it was a cost cutting move. No offence to Bridger but he will be cheaper, and no where near the points scoring power of Bjarne.

A move that will take Lakeside to the battle of the spoon.

you can hardly call leaving a team mid season for personal reasons 100% professional.

Last 20 x EL matches:

Lewis Bridger: 88 rides / 159 points / Average = 7.23

Bjarne Pedersen: 91 rides / 149 points / Average = 6.55

Stats tell the picture I expected. Bjarne has been in a steady decline season upon season for too long.

Nice to have a British rider over a half hearted Dane anyway.

• Like 2

I think this will be a good move back in december i saw he was putting hard training in on his instagram so must of been wanting to come back since then listened to that interview and he has said he wouldnt come back if he didnt want to be the best and is aware of the risks but doesnt bother him because its what he wants to do.

Good luck lewis

• Like 1

Never been a big fan of Lewis.But i hope that he has got his head together and that his heart is back into speedway,and that he has a really good season.With a lot of riders now not wanting to ride in the U K he is what the sport needs at the moment a decent British talent that should be loyal to British speedway.Fingers crossed.

Edited by B.V 72

Sure Bjarne is in the twilight of his career and past his prime. But one thing you do get with Bjarne is that he is 100% professional, and totally reliable. Don't throw what about Leicester, because it was clear he had major issues with the promotion and track.

He was excellent for Poole and Eastbourne, and rides Lakeside well. Clearly it was a cost cutting move. No offence to Bridger but he will be cheaper, and no where near the points scoring power of Bjarne.

A move that will take Lakeside to the battle of the spoon.

OMG - for once I am in total agreement with the things that Mr Shovalr writes - this time about Bjarne !!!

The major words like "twilight', "past" and "was" fully sum up the rider in 2016

Welcome to the real world Steve - look forward to further sensible posts from you

Kelvin Tatum said last night that he wanted Bjarne in the team and classed him as a true pro. He also said he wanted Bridger as well and wanted to get rid of another rider but the choice was not his.

That sounds like the usual Shovlar spin to me, aimed at stirring, but does anybody have a link to what was actually said, in what context and the words used ?

Kelvin is a bright guy and very articulate.. He is also a riders man who doesn't speak in BSF language. I don't believe for one moment that he spoke in blunt terms of "Getting rid" of another rider. I am sure it would have been expressed differently to that. After all he said about building the team last week I don't believe he is so stupid as to alienate riders by saying things as pejoratively and as bluntly as that. as that. I think he is far to astute to give the impression that he disagrees with management thinking when he hasnt been in the job 5 minutes

Nobody wanted to see Bjarne go but as we now know he would be missing a total of seven meetings in all then after all that was said about r/r last year the team can't be going into a quarter of the league programme with r/r for the second heatleader, especially against teams like Belle Vue or Poole.

The only rider who could be dropped to fit Lewis average in would be Kim Nilsson who not only has done nothing wrong, but he was one of the first riders signed up and is a fans favourite so it would be monstrous to drop him this close to the start of the season.

Once again all we have so far from Lewis is talk and expectation. I hope for everyones sake he delivers but he still has to walk the walk. He still has to show he can score well on all the away tracks and he still has to show he has a new attitude. Kim is in much the same position as Lewis, in that he still has to reach his potential and still has to master most of the away tracks, although he has on occasions topped the away scores,which I dont think Lewis has..Plus Kim fits in with the rest of the team , which Lewis has still to learn to do.

I'll ask Kelvin at Press and Practice, but I bet the point he was making was not quite as the Poole stirrer in chief would like us to think ;)

• Like 4