British Speedway Forum

Lakeside 2016

You were questioning the existence of a squad system, there is a squad system. 10 riders are allowed but not mandatory and, as you've been told before, the Lakeside website is surprisingly informative on the current Lakeside situation.

The 1 -7 includes two DU riders sharing a position in the side, a rider, Dennis Jonsson, named #8 and, although not announced formally yet, it is on the cards that Ben Morley will be drafted in as a tier two back-up rider which equals ten.

You could not make it up! Why was this new squad system not announced straight after the AGM?! And people wonder why this sport is an absolute joke!

The only way we find out about this new squad is through one team announcing 10 riders.

Why not agree to it at AGM, release it in the statement and then every team can have a go at it.

I find it pathetic how its only for certain members of the top 5! If it was for any position, theres every chance youd have, as an example, Nicki and NKI job sharing at KL.

The sport is a complete joke and its just getting worse each close season. God knows what next season will be like!

• Like 1

You could not make it up! Why was this new squad system not announced straight after the AGM?! And people wonder why this sport is an absolute joke!

The only way we find out about this new squad is through one team announcing 10 riders.

Why not agree to it at AGM, release it in the statement and then every team can have a go at it.

I find it pathetic how its only for certain members of the top 5! If it was for any position, theres every chance youd have, as an example, Nicki and NKI job sharing at KL.

The sport is a complete joke and its just getting worse each close season. God knows what next season will be like!

As far as I have been able to deduce, squad systems were not agreed at the AGM. Jon was an advocate for it in order to cut down on the use of guests. I think there have been several discussions since during the weekly promoters' meetings which appear to have resulted in the ruling that two DU riders may share a team place but that is as far as it goes for now. The facility is open to all EL clubs although no-one else has yet has opted for it. However, there aren't that many DU riders for 2016 and of the others, Danny King, Richie Worrall, Robert Lambert, Kyle Newman are EL assets - I don't know the situation regarding Josh Grajczonek and Swindon though. Next, each club has the option to sign a rider #8 but has to be an overseas rider who has not ridden in the EL before and qualifies with a four- point average. Finally, each can name a second tier-two reserve as back-up. So far, Coventry and King's Lynn have done so and, although not yet announced formally, Ben Morley is likely to be included by Lakeside.

Edited by tocha
  • Like 2

Another young asset does anyone have the full hammers asset list

as cant find it anywhere?. Zach is defo one for the future though

lets hope the club can nurse him to the top unlike poor owen hazledean

and ellis among others.

Another young asset does anyone have the full hammers asset list

as cant find it anywhere?. Zach is defo one for the future though

lets hope the club can nurse him to the top unlike poor owen hazledean

and ellis among others.

We haven't done that well with assets with them falling by the wayside over the years. Our biggest loss was the late Lee Richardson. Others have come and gone including the Davidsson brothers, Peter Ljung whilst we allowed Richard to slip through our fingers. Kim and Robert remain as our current riding assets although who holds Lewis' (Bridger) contract is anyone's guess. I think Jack Kingston is still on our books as might other former riders, Robbo and Kauko.

Lakeside really putting it about this winter.

Really trying hard...not sure if it is a league winning outfit this year but Jon Cook seems to have plenty of cards to play during the season.

As I said before, if it means fewer guests and fewer R/Rs, I for one will be happy.

We are 20/1 on Skybet- got to be worth an each way punt, I reckon. At least we have some spare riders lined up if there are any injuries

I think it's also significant that Paul Hurry has been added to the back room team, especially as a talent scout. We heard about changes to back room team in the winter and certainly Paul and Kelvin should bring some ex-rider experience to the set up.

Hopefully these changes coupled with the youngsters coming through from the Hagon Shocks Academy in the next few years will revive the Hammers fortunes in the long term.

• Like 3

Press and practice today. Both Lewis' looked incredibly fit, both praising the pofessionalism of the Revolution Speedway set-up. LBR gets a bad press at times but personally I have always found him good to talk to. He does seem more settled in himself this year though and focussed so hopefully his talent will come to fruitition this year.

Dennis Jonsson seems a bit tall faor a speedway rider but he seems a real nice bloke, as do most of the Swedes, His namesake AJ, the consummate professional had one of his Polish mechanics over as well as his English mechanic, setting up a brand new engine and needed about an hour more track time than the rest so seems to be making a real effort for the season. Apparently Belle Vue tried very hard to get him in the winter.

On track it was difficult to tell much with the obvious testing etc, but Kim looked very stylish as always an pretty quick, as far as one can tell in practice, and although LBR was trying different lines when he went in his favoured outside line he looked very fast.

Good to see Kelvin putting some laps in as well. It must be good for the team when they see the TM on track as well, proving that at 52 he is still no slouch. Still early days of course but it looks like the team will be getting along well with each other , which is at least a good start to the season. Definitely a feel good factor there so we'll see how they go when Kings Lynn are down next week. Its been a long winter........

Edited by Daytripper
  • Like 4

Press and practice today. Both Lewis' looked incredibly fit, both praising the pofessionalism of the Revolution Speedway set-up. LBR gets a bad press at times but personally I have always found him good to talk to. He does seem more settled in himself this year though and focussed so hopefully his talent will come to fruitition this year.

Dennis Jonsson seems a bit tall faor a speedway rider but he seems a real nice bloke, as do most of the Swedes, His namesake AJ, the consummate professional had one of his Polish mechanics over as well as his English mechanic, setting up a brand new engine and needed about an hour more track time than the rest so seems to be making a real effort for the season. Apparently Belle Vue tried very hard to get him in the winter.

On track it was difficult to tell much with the obvious testing etc, but Kim looked very stylish as always an pretty quick, as far as one can tell in practice, and although LBR was trying different lines when he went in his favoured outside line he looked very fast.

Good to see Kelvin putting some laps in as well. It must be good for the team when they see the TM on track as well, proving that at 52 he is still no slouch. Still early days of course but it looks like the team will be getting along well with each other , which is at least a good start to the season. Definitely a feel good factor there so we'll see how they go when Kings Lynn are down next week. Its been a long winter........

Thanks for posting,just wondered if you noticed if the jawa engines are going to be quick and reliable enough for this season for LBR and kerr?Is there any back up plan i wonder,as jawa have not really been around for years,so hope they will be on the pace from the off,but if not have they a plan b?!!!

I would imagine that they have worked out how fast the engines need to go, so perhaps we should see how Plan A pans out first. In any case, having the backing of a company (revolution racing) should ensure that the equipment is tip top. Roll on 8pm tonight. Up the Hammers!

• Like 1

Thanks for posting,just wondered if you noticed if the jawa engines are going to be quick and reliable enough for this season for LBR and kerr?Is there any back up plan i wonder,as jawa have not really been around for years,so hope they will be on the pace from the off,but if not have they a plan b?!!!

I think there is no Plan B. My understanding is that Jawa's are trying to make a comeback and Revolution Speedwáy have some sort of tie up with Jawa as part of the comeback. I am not dead certain but I think these are not like the old Jawa's . The bikes look immaculate so it does seem like a decent professional outfit. Lewis B. said he wished he had a team like this around him when he was 16. It might take a little while for them to get totally dialled in but seems optimistic at the moment.

Of course, we won't know for sure until they are on the track with others trying to beat them but two things about Lewis Bridger impressed me. The first is he has no fat on him at all and looks solid muscle. He has obviously spent the winter in the gym and not partying. Secondly when he was on the track he was trying different lines but there was one real head turning moment when he took his old outside line and absolutely flew along the starting straight into bend one, flicked the bike sideways and took the bend in a real classic head turning movement. Pure class. The talent is clearly still there, it's just a matter of getting his focus right and I get the impression he is on the way to doing that.

• Like 3