British Speedway Forum

Belle Vue 2016

Has there been some behind closed door practice to make sure the track rides ok?

This is a sitting duck for a sold out stadium, biggest crowd in decades only to discover a Warsaw gp type track or worse. The track needs to be perfect from the first heat with no nails in coffins or shots through feet.

why's that, Poole use a track with holes in every week!

• Like 3

Has there been some behind closed door practice to make sure the track rides ok?

This is a sitting duck for a sold out stadium, biggest crowd in decades only to discover a Warsaw gp type track or worse. The track needs to be perfect from the first heat with no nails in coffins or shots through feet.

You can almost tell he what's it to fail .... the .green eye monster is alive and well and living in dorset

Edited by orion
  • Like 2

Aren't there supposed to be two test meetings on it quite soon??

Aren't there supposed to be two test meetings on it quite soon??

No not test meetings, test events, the first one was today a 10% capacity test to test turn stiles and facilities etc, the 2nd one is on Sunday a football match at 50% capacity.

Track isn't finished yet, nobody will be riding it before heat 1 next Saturday.

I hope to God that the track doesn't cut up for the opening meeting, we all want (and British Speedway needs) the opening event at the new National Stadium to be nothing except a success. I assumed there would be plenty of practice on it for the Bele Vue lads next week.

My pal and I are coming down from Newcastle for this and staying at The Innkeepers Lodge, Heaton Chapel, Stockport. I think there is a bus that will take us close to the stadium, any information about number and where to get off would be appreciated.

Maybe some people are reading between the lines or considering historical posts but, to me, Mr Shovlar raises a very valid point. It would be awful to fill the place then serve up shambolic racing on a dodgy track. Fingers very firmly crossed that the opener is an absolute corker and the best possible launch to our new era!

Maybe some people are reading between the lines or considering historical posts but, to me, Mr Shovlar raises a very valid point. It would be awful to fill the place then serve up shambolic racing on a dodgy track. Fingers very firmly crossed that the opener is an absolute corker and the best possible launch to our new era!

Agree they could really do with testing the track before any proper racing commences. I attended Redcar's first meeting vs Sheffield and the track was a nightmare and it was a miracle no one was seriously hurt and a terrible advert for speedway in front of a huge crowd.

My pal and I are coming down from Newcastle for this and staying at The Innkeepers Lodge, Heaton Chapel, Stockport. I think there is a bus that will take us close to the stadium, any information about number and where to get off would be appreciated.

192 you want on that road, heading into Manchester, get off at Longsight at Aldi and 5-10 minute walk past Asda.

There will be no practice. It's a slight concern for me I have to be honest.

I'd say 75% of the track has been laid for a good 2-3 weeks. However bends 3 and 4 were the site entrance and that was still being laid this afternoon.

From what I could see, the entire track shoukd be laid and finished tomorrow.

However there are still bits of minor construction left, like installing the fence on bends 3-4, so if I'm being honest I can't see any bikes on there for a good few days. I'd say Tuesday at the very earliest. Even if it's only 2 days I'd have the lads down breaking it in.

Weather Forecast...

From Saturday 12th March.

The weather for Manchester will be mainly dry, and I mean dry! High pressure in control for the foreseeable future. The nights may be cold, with the chance of frost, but no significant precipitation between 12th March and 19th March. Daytime temps will fluctuate between around 8c and 14c depending on how much sun you get, which is still a tad hit and miss, it's a dirty high....

But it should be dry between 12th and 19th March......

There will be no bikes on the track at all till heat 1 of the opening meeting. That's what they want.

There won't be any bikes even in the presentation.

I think it is inevitable that with a new track, new stadium etc there will be problems. I hope they are minor and few.... but there will be problems. Just hope the race track is stable for that first meeting.

I remember back in summer of 1977, me and the pregnant wife took the trip from north Cheshire down to Bristol for the opening meeting of Bristols "revival".

It was a complete and utter shambles due to the track conditions - there was a big hole on the 4th bend still being worked on right up to the start of the meeting.

Different circumstances to BV. I sincerely hope BVs first meeting goes well, but if it doesn't then I truly hope it is nothing near as bad as that evening in Bristol.

I would love to be at BV for the opening meeting, the Peter Craven Memorial Trophy meeting, but I have deliberately stayed away because of Bristol 1977.

Roll on the World Team Championship end of July - everything will be hunky dory by then.

They want it to bed down properly. I can see the logic. At first I thought it would have been a decent idea to have a few bikes round to weed out any problems but that could actually be counter productive.

The tech in building tracks is different now. I just hope that the knowledge is there to make it right

Error regarding the start time for the Belle Vue v Wolverhampton match on Good Friday 25th March. It is defininitely a 1pm start - not 7.30pm as printed in the Speedway Star.

This has been confirmed to me by Belle Vue.

• Like 1

You can almost tell he what's it to fail .... the .green eye monster is alive and well and living in dorset

Last thing I want. I am hoping the whole move and new stadium will be a massive success and BV will revive to big crowds and a strong club again.

But I also think it absolutely ludicrous that theysre risking completely avoidable ridicule if the track dieznt hold together and causes huge problems for the riders.

It needs laps from experienced riders to make sure its going to hold up. Look at the disasters at GP level a

In Sweden and Poland. We dont want a repeat. What the BV management are doing, by no riders on the track until heat one, is in my opinion highly risky as it could undo a lot of goodwill coming their way. I hope my worries are unfounded and the track rides well. But a risk they dont need to take imo.

Edited by Steve Shovlar
  • Like 3

This post is spot on. Something I have been thinking for a while. I think they are cutting it incredibly fine. Is the construction of the stadium running behind schedule? With the opening meeting next week, surely they would have wanted the construction work finished a good month ago?

A cock up with the track bedding in would be a disaster. Fingers crossed for you.

Edited by G the Bee