British Speedway Forum

Edinburgh 2016

A decent last month?

Are you for real?

A slow first couple of months certainly but got better month by month.

Sorry but dominating the PL doesnt mean jack s**t when it comes to riding abroad and yes he only really had a decent last month in the EL other than that was very inconsistent

• Like 1

Personally can't see him becoming a full time GP rider but I hope he can do it and prove me wrong, class act at this level and looked the real deal during the EL play-offs.

I am of the same opinion to be honest, but then again who would have thought 3 or 4 seasons ago that Jason Doyle could have not only become a GP regular but also get himself into the top 8 of the GP.

• Like 1

Sorry but dominating the PL doesnt mean jack s**t when it comes to riding abroad and yes he only really had a decent last month in the EL other than that was very inconsistent

Your previous post didn't specify EL only.

And again he had a poor 2 or 3 months from the start of the season in the EL too and kicked on from there.

His tie up with Ash-tec has made a big 9.

No chance, doesn't have the head for it, or the talent tbf, he will make EL No.1 but no chance of GP's full time, will probably get Cardiff wildcard and possibly GP challenge semi-final/final

Until Craig has gained experience of regularly riding on the Polish & Swedish tracks, none of us will know whether or not he will qualify as a regular in the GPs.

I have to disagree that he does not have the head for it, or the talent, and imo, the missing ingredient was that his machinery was below the standard of the top guys in the EL who also ride in Sweden & Poland

This appeared to change with his recent closer link up with Ashley Holloway providing and tuning, engines for him,

The result of this was that he ended up the top scorer in EL Play-Off Final, with 25 out of a possible 30 from 10 rides, which also included a zero for an exclusion.

He subsequently rode in Poland at Krakow, a track he had never seen before, and finished runner up to Patryk Dudek (who had previously scored a max in the star studded Darcy Ward Benefit Meeting at Poole) in the Lord Mayor Cup winner-takes-all final, having previously defeated Dudek in the 20 heat qualifier. The Polish match report described him as the "impressive Craig Cook" and it appears he has now had several offers from both Promoters and Sponsors to race in Poland in 2016.

Whether these impressive late Season performances at the top level will continue in 2016 remains to be seen, but I think your "no chance" comment at this point in time is unjustified.

Edited by cyclone
  • Like 6

No chance, doesn't have the head for it, or the talent tbf, he will make EL No.1 but no chance of GP's full time, will probably get Cardiff wildcard and possibly GP challenge semi-final/final

Weren't people saying much the same about Jason Doyle two seasons ago when he was still riding in the PL - now look at where he is. [Doyle turned 28 in 2013; Cook is currently 28]

• Like 5

There's a lot of judging Cook on where he was rather than where he is and where he's going IMO. Agree totally with the tuning point. He may not be the natural talent of Ward, Dudek, Woffie Woffie Woffie, etc. but he is improving all the time and continuing to work extremely hard and is very focussed. He is easily comparable to Zagar, Harris, etc and is a good Gater. He also has the physical strength to handle difficult conditions where others struggle and can ride the outside line. I'm not sure how he'll do on the long tracks but have every confidence having watched him a lot over the last year.

• Like 5

Weren't people saying much the same about Jason Doyle two seasons ago when he was still riding in the PL - now look at where he is. [Doyle turned 28 in 2013; Cook is currently 28]

Doyle is exactly who Cook should be looking at. When you consider that 2 season before he moved up full time Doyle was "only" a 5 point rider while Cook was already a 7 then Cook is in theory moving up at a higher level already so he has no excuses!

Only time will tell if he makes the grade, but I'm just glad to see another British rider gaining experience of riding abroad, as it can only benefit the national team come World Cup time. So few of our riders have experience of riding abroad or in big events.

Bottom line is the Brits are just not good enough nowadays.We are no longer the top nation and are not producing young talent that can make the step up.

Bottom line is the Brits are just not good enough nowadays.We are no longer the top nation and are not producing young talent that can make the step up.

Thats a bit harsh. We have a double World Champion and one of the most experienced GP riders in terms of number of GPs ridden. Throw in a still only 17 year old Robert Lambert and things are not that bad. Cookie can still make it too, sink or swim for him this year, lets hope he swims!

Thats a bit harsh. We have a double World Champion and one of the most experienced GP riders in terms of number of GPs ridden. Throw in a still only 17 year old Robert Lambert and things are not that bad. Cookie can still make it too, sink or swim for him this year, lets hope he swims!

Suppose the Double World Champ can be thrown in .Thats still only 4 riders and the other GP man is past his best.I wish Cook well but as you can see you my previous posts the jury is out on him IMO .

I am of the same opinion to be honest, but then again who would have thought 3 or 4 seasons ago that Jason Doyle could have not only become a GP regular but also get himself into the top 8 of the GP.

And finish the season as the Elite League's top rider.

Would Craig Cook or any similarly dominant rider have been allowed to carry on riding Premier League as long as they wanted to? Is there anything in the rules which covers this?

Forget the British team as Rosco won`t pick him in front of his pals......

Only one appearance in a GB bib and that when Muddledick picked him at KL.....though he did struggle and was then dropped for bridger and Ben Bonkers.

He has been imperious at PL level for 3-4 years, and lead Monarchs through a golden period......winning everything (max subbed in for the pairs title mind you) and so has nothing to prove at that level, it`s time to get the BV number 1 jacket and progress on the continent once the chance comes. Who knows how far he might go....it will be entertaining to watch.

he is the UK number 2 behind Woffy in my opinion but has been given scant opportunity to prove it on the international stage.

The Gb attitude to the European champs and pairs is a scandal when Cookie/Lambert should be blooded there, to help world cup preparation, but the blind mice don`t see the worth of these competitions.

hope he gets a chance in Poland /sweden and if he sinks or swims at least he will have tried to succeed.

he will always be welcome for the Scottish open mind you......along with the roo boy.

• Like 2

Doyles career was badly hampered by a recurring shoulder injury otherwise might have moved forward more quicker.

He never looked like a future GP star when he first came over here though. He's really kicked in in the last few seasons though, if Cook can emulate him then that would be great.