British Speedway Forum

Edinburgh 2016

A classic Campbell motivational piece, clearly designed to unsettle Etheridge further by making him feel even more under pressure and unwelcome in the hope he quits of his own accord as he cant be sacked. There is no other reason to publish a story like this, the timing is impeccable, laying the groundwork for a team change.

Perhaps Campbell should direct his verbal volley at those who carried out the diligence on his behalf in Australia. As it is Etheridge is here and has statutory support to continue turning out for the Monarchs.

• Like 4

Everyone needs to give this kid a break!! He's just come from the other side of the world to ride on a track presumably nothing like he's ridden before and because he's not the next Max Fricke, everyone is freaking out, just because Edinburgh have had a few years of success, they need to get used to what defeat tastes like, I hope Jye finishes this year, signs for Glasgow next year and turns into a wonderkid :)

• Like 4

Jye actually has a lot of support from the Edinburgh supporters too.

From the Speedway GB site when he signed in December............

He said: “I decided I could have a chance of having a crack at the UK after last year’s Boxing night meeting when I beat Doyley (Jason Doyle), Sam (Masters), Josh Grajczonek and all the big names.

“I’ve been beating (Ty) Proctor, (Mason) Campton and Taylor Poole this year and they’ve said try and push for a ride, you are not going to get any quicker staying here and riding against the slower guys.

So the lad has something about him.

• Like 1

Jye actually has a lot of support from the Edinburgh supporters too.

From the Speedway GB site when he signed in December............

He said: “I decided I could have a chance of having a crack at the UK after last year’s Boxing night meeting when I beat Doyley (Jason Doyle), Sam (Masters), Josh Grajczonek and all the big names.

“I’ve been beating (Ty) Proctor, (Mason) Campton and Taylor Poole this year and they’ve said try and push for a ride, you are not going to get any quicker staying here and riding against the slower guys.

So the lad has something about him.

Perhaps sticking him at no.2 would help for a while?

Edited by RH92

Rye have Peter Karger, roughly in the same position, but he continues to get the support of team manager and promotion in publc while under great pressure due to poor performances. Then he beat Sam Masters....

Edited by Shads
  • Like 3

This is yet another foreseeable mess. Plenty of people on here could see during the winter that giving out work permits for a good performance in an awful standard state championship was not a good idea.

Anyone got any tips/help.

Looking at coming up for Edinburgh/Berwick on 12/13 August anyone got any tips on hotels etc. Looking at driving up, found a couple of bed and breakfasts, stay 15 minutes from track on Friday then drive to Berwick and spend the night there.

Is that the best way to do it? I mean hotels for 2 adults, so far found 140 quid?

Just if any locals had any tips or help would be great.

Jye to "quit" and be replaced by Wullie Lawson i reckon.

Looking at coming up for Edinburgh/Berwick on 12/13 August anyone got any tips on hotels etc. Looking at driving up, found a couple of bed and breakfasts, stay 15 minutes from track on Friday then drive to Berwick and spend the night there.

Is that the best way to do it? I mean hotels for 2 adults, so far found 140 quid?

It'll be pricey in Edinburgh itself because of the festival but worth doing to sample it.

Jye to "quit" and be replaced by Wullie Lawson i reckon.

It'll be pricey in Edinburgh itself because of the festival but worth doing to sample it.

What Festivals that? Looking at staying 15 mins from the track near Livingston is there much there pub wise?

The same paper and reporter wrote this on Friday

http://www.edinburghnews.scotsman.com/sport/speedway/monarchs-are-backing-jye-not-sacking-him-1-4138991

There was nothing happened on Friday that surprising and that would have suddenly changed the Edinburgh's promotions mind. Edinburgh don't deal with speculation even after provocation and their website is where you find out the real information so anything hear can be treated with a pinch of salt. It is just headline making but you guys can go on about despicable Monarchs etc etc. Quite frankly it is pathetic how much people on here want to see Edinburgh suffer, anything that could be construed as negative is jumped on and extrapolated to a far worse degree. I know we have been at the top of the tree and have a target on our back but a little bit of perspective is required. No real skin of our nose as Edinburgh continue to go about their business as usual. They won't ask the paper to retract as their is no point falling out with the local newspaper and as they say no publicity is bad publicity.

The truth is Edinburgh saw a young lad with potential and gave him a chance, for one reason or another it isn't working out for him. In days gone by he would now go to reserve and get a boost of confidence and some points by racing in easier races but the rule changes means that won't happen. He proved in the Colts challenge match that he is probably better than NL riders but he is not a 5 point PL rider and ultimately he probably will be replaced, Edinburgh have done the decent thing and made sure he got to the 8 meetings and will have a more accurate average, whether the visa rules allow him to use that is a different question.

What is interesting is that despite carrying Jye and arguably the 2 reserves Edinburgh have still had a positive start (except the first match of the season at home to Berwick) to the season winning all home league matches, picked up a couple of away points and won through to the next round of the cup. If they are able to replace him and find a decent rider then we will become contenders again. Maybe that is what is worrying all the monarch lovers on here.

They can't replace him. He has an assessed average. The only way they can replace him is if he quits.

What Festivals that? Looking at staying 15 mins from the track near Livingston is there much there pub wise?

The Edinburgh Festival Fringe. Biggest arts festival in the world.

There's very little in Livingston other than roundabouts, housing estates and a couple of shopping centres.

• Like 1

THE festival I suspect. Surely you've heard of it?

Accommodation anywhere near the city will have either been snapped up, or at a premium. Better off basing yourself in Berwick and travelling up on the train

• Like 1

I'm not local, but Livingston you say. For a pint and grub I would recommend Black Bull Inn, Mid Calder - I don't think they do rooms (I could be wrong). it is run by a Monarchs supporter and he is an all round good egg. If they don't do rooms they would surely be able to point you in the right direction and in Livingston and surrounding area there is the usual Premier Inn, Holiday Inn Express, etc. Hope that's of help.

Edited by justere2cgoodspeedway

Mate, try either of these for your Edinburgh visit. Relatively near to track if you're driving and shouldn't suffer from inflated prices due to Edinburgh Festival.

Beefeaters next door for food, drink. Both are in the sticks and on motorway junctions so nothing else within walking distance.

As I say to all my English work colleagues .... remember we have a different drink drive limit in Scotland!

One pint might be too much!

Hope this helps for Edinburgh visit.

http://www.premierinn.com/gb/en/hotels/scotland/lothian/livingston/livingston-bathgate.html

http://www.premierinn.com/gb/en/hotels/scotland/lothian/livingston/livingston-m8-jct3.html

This is yet another foreseeable mess. Plenty of people on here could see during the winter that giving out work permits for a good performance in an awful standard state championship was not a good idea.

Jye didn't come here on a tier 2 or tier 5 visa, which are the ones that you could apply for based on performance in the State championships. He has an Ancestry Visa which doesn't require any previous performance related evidence.