British Speedway Forum

Edinburgh 2016

Going to Armadale to watch speedway.

What are you doing?

Take it your taken your lap top, with lots of speedway DVDs, with you?

The belle Vue meeting scheduled for the Saturday 2nd of April will now be moved forward a day to Friday the 1st April.

your joking. I was looking forward to a Saturday meeting at armadale, Fridays are too far to travel after work

• Like 1

A statement from the Monarchs website re Friday, 20th May:-

On Friday we became aware of a proposal by Glasgow Speedway to stage a meeting, the British Championship semi final, on Friday 20th May. They made an announcement to their supporters at a social function on Friday evening confirming this proposal. We subsequently raised an objection to this meeting to the British Speedway Promoters’ Association.

Co-promoter John Campbell takes up the story. “The news of the proposed meeting came completely out of the blue to us. In all my time as a speedway promoter, that’s over thirty years, promoters have interacted in a courteous manner to stop problems like this coming into the public domain before fully addressed. I’m astonished that we received no approach from Glasgow on this occasion.”

“I am told that Glasgow put forward this date as we did not have a fixture scheduled. A quick look at our website or the BSPA Official fixture list, issued on 20th January, would have confirmed that we have the date reserved for a League Cup semi final. Glasgow’s highly experienced duo of promoters would know that should we fail to qualify for the semi final we will use the date to restage an earlier rain off or try to advance a later programmed league match. That is the way it has happened in all my time as a promoter.”

“Had we been contacted by Glasgow, before their public announcement, concerning their plans then we would have been happy to listen. Unfortunately we were not given that opportunity.”

• Like 1

A statement from the Monarchs website re Friday, 20th May:-

On Friday we became aware of a proposal by Glasgow Speedway to stage a meeting, the British Championship semi final, on Friday 20th May. They made an announcement to their supporters at a social function on Friday evening confirming this proposal. We subsequently raised an objection to this meeting to the British Speedway Promoters’ Association.

Co-promoter John Campbell takes up the story. “The news of the proposed meeting came completely out of the blue to us. In all my time as a speedway promoter, that’s over thirty years, promoters have interacted in a courteous manner to stop problems like this coming into the public domain before fully addressed. I’m astonished that we received no approach from Glasgow on this occasion.”

“I am told that Glasgow put forward this date as we did not have a fixture scheduled. A quick look at our website or the BSPA Official fixture list, issued on 20th January, would have confirmed that we have the date reserved for a League Cup semi final. Glasgow’s highly experienced duo of promoters would know that should we fail to qualify for the semi final we will use the date to restage an earlier rain off or try to advance a later programmed league match. That is the way it has happened in all my time as a promoter.”

“Had we been contacted by Glasgow, before their public announcement, concerning their plans then we would have been happy to listen. Unfortunately we were not given that opportunity.”

An interesting statement this one as it clearly doesn't give the full story.

The points made obviously aimed at appeasing Embra fans and no doubt the anti-Glasgow ones will use to further their means.

It obviously falls short of referring to or making any comment on the BSPA's part in this.

I wonder why?

Keep the BSPA onside, or just make veiled criticism of Glasgow.

Glasgow proposed this date to BSPA and they accepted it.

End of.

Yes, it would be better if the two promotions had open dialogue, no doubt.

But they don't.

Glasgow have broken no rules.

Edinburgh's real beef should be with the BSPA .. but hey, why miss the chance to make a veiled criticism of Glasgow?

BTW For the grammar, spelling, 'get your facts right' policeman on BSF ... being pedantic .... Glasgow announced it on Facebook in advance of the social event.

Edited by george.m
  • Like 1

sad state of affairs as this escalates the petty rift which was started with the "letter" to fans at the grand final.

rather than airing the washing in public, I hope they might sort this nonsense out in private.

Now who might be magnanimous and hold out the olive branch ????

• Like 2

sad state of affairs as this escalates the petty rift which was started with the "letter" to fans at the grand final.

rather than airing the washing in public, I hope they might sort this nonsense out in private.

Now who might be magnanimous and hold out the olive branch ?

TBH I can't see it...... but I hope both sets of supporters rise above it and enjoy the home and away matches. Can't be bothered with hassle in the crowds and speedway doesn't need it.

• Like 3

What a palaver.

I work most weekends, and saw the Tigers Facebook post about the British Semi being a friday night and thought, "yeah, i'll drive through for that". I enjoyed the British Semi up at Armadale two or three years back. We'll see what transpires....

I'm just glad the The Moanarchs v Belle Vue is now the friday. That means i may make that, plus Berwick v Workington home and away after all (weather permitting), as i booked that week off.

Not long now. Happy new season everyone :cheers:

• Like 1

Now who might be magnanimous and hold out the olive branch ????

You would like to think at some point they realise that they are adults running a business but sadly i can only see this escalating even further.

Take it your taken your lap top, with lots of speedway DVDs, with you?

your joking. I was looking forward to a Saturday meeting at armadale, Fridays are too far to travel after work

Just come to Berwick on the Saturday 😉😉😉

• Like 1