British Speedway Forum

Edinburgh 2016

Totally against the spirit of the rule which was meant to improve the chances of young British riders advancing their careers to higher levels. Mitchell Davy is neither young or at the moment British.

Errrrr - Mitchell is only 25!

Some others are way older.

• Like 1

My wife has held a British passport for nearly 20 years despite being born and brought up in Swaziland. If she is asked her nationality she says British. Which is entirely correct - she's a British citizen, not a Swaziland citizen holding a British passport.

I'm not happy that Edinburgh hope to sign Davey as I think he's mince. But if he gets his passport, he'll be quite entitled to call himself British.

Edited by stewmac
  • Like 2

My wife has held a British passport for nearly 20 years despite being born and brought up in Swaziland. If she is asked her nationality she says British. Which is entirely correct - she's a British citizen, not a Swaziland citizen holding a British passport.

I'm not happy that Edinburgh hope to sign Davey as I think he's mince. But if he gets his passport, he'll be quite entitled to call himself British.

All well and good, but I`d wager your good lady didn't take out a British passport as a way round a rule to gain employment.

• Like 1

You are indeed correct he can call himself anything he want's but will he be able to ride as a British 3 pointer eligible for NL that is the $50k question Im losing sleep at night worried about this landmark decision.

You are indeed correct he can call himself anything he want's but will he be able to ride as a British 3 pointer eligible for NL that is the $50k question Im losing sleep at night worried about this landmark decision.

Don`t lose sleep, I think we all know the answer.

All well and good, but I`d wager your good lady didn't take out a British passport as a way round a rule to gain employment.

but that is one of the reasons that most people take out dual nationality in all walks of life and employment, that and ease of entry into the country. Getting a UK passport will make it easier to gain any sort of employment so I'm sure he would have got a passport at some stage, he only got married last summer. It's not anywhere near as sinister as people are making out.

Once he has a passport he will have the same rights as any other 25 year old british speedway rider. As I said before the only doubt is around his previous PL experience

N

but that is one of the reasons that most people take out dual nationality in all walks of life and employment, that and ease of entry into the country. Getting a UK passport will make it easier to gain any sort of employment so I'm sure he would have got a passport at some stage, he only got married last summer. It's not anywhere near as sinister as people are making out.

Once he has a passport he will have the same rights as any other 25 year old british speedway rider. As I said before the only doubt is around his previous PL experience

Nobody would say that it's sinister, just that it's against the spirit of the rule. :nono:

I see it stated a couple of posts up that he only married last summer.

I thought that although that may secure residency and working rights under spousal visa it was not possible to apply for a passport for a number of years after (3??)

I don't like to put a rider down on here but maybe being 25 and more manly he might be in better control. If he is then he should clean up. Being at Edinburgh might be the making of him he was helping out last year in the pits so knows set ups and everyone connected with monarchs. Could be a decent signing as number 7's go.

Edited by baba
  • Like 1

I don't like to put a rider down on here but maybe being 25 and more manly he might be in better control. If he is then he should clean up. Being at Edinburgh might be the making of him he was helping out last year in the pits so knows set ups and everyone connected with monarchs. Could be a decent signing as number 7's go.

Would be if it was the Australian League.

Edited by Gazc
  • Like 1

He went over with Cookie to Poland to help him and Will at an individual meeting towards end of last season. In the second half racing always looked stylish. A few years ago when he was reserve was bit scared to mix it.

Admit we are trying to exploit a loop hole. A certain Ian Thomas would be proud. Did any team not try to take a punt on Spiller for number 7 spot?

He went over with Cookie to Poland to help him and Will at an individual meeting towards end of last season. In the second half racing always looked stylish. A few years ago when he was reserve was bit scared to mix it.

Admit we are trying to exploit a loop hole. A certain Ian Thomas would be proud. Did any team not try to take a punt on Spiller for number 7 spot?

Team Spiller will not be racing till middle of the year as he is sitting exams back in Germany and will probably slot back into Eastbourne and can't see any pl team paying his flights back and forward from Germany

I apologise for sounding like a broken record here but there is no loop hole, if he gets British citizenship which he is perfectly entitled to apply for then he has the exact same rights as any other 25 year old British rider who had a season or 2 in the PL that wasn't good enough to rule him out of the NL. There isn't any kind of 2 tier level of citizenship as Gazc keeps implying, that would be discriminatory. You don't have to like it or agree but that is the law and has nothing to do with the bspa. In the same way if Mitchell and his wife decided to move to Australia at some point in the future she would almost certainly apply for Aussie citizenship to gain employment.

If a team found a young Australian rider and brought him over to an arranged marriage with a local girl just to get him a 3.00 average then I would agree as that would be illegal and completely wrong but that's not what happened.

Someone tied to use Matty Wethers as an example to prove me wrong earlier but that is all the proof you need. If stormy was only Australian then he would not qualify for a visa in any shape or form as his final 2015 average was 4.96 and he has not competed in Australia at any level for several years. It is the reason why he was denied a place with Workington at the start of 2015. He now has British citizenship and no longer needs a visa, if Mitchell gets citizenship then he will be in the exact same boat. So you should direct your ire at Workington and Berwick as well.

If they truly wanted to make it young british riders then it would have been under 23 or under 21.

If they truly wanted to have new riders only you could say that you must never have ridden in the PL before; attained an average; raced only 1 season; raced less than100 meetings

The rule does not stipulate any of that because there is not enough riders that are good enough and some they know would have been ruled out as a result. It would also make it even harder to keep the same rule next season (2017). That is one of the reasons why it is fundamentally flawed.

I accept the point about the spirit of the rule but as I said before if you disagree with the rule you are hardly going to worry about the spirit of it.

• Like 3

If they truly wanted to make it young british riders then it would have been under 23 or under 21.

If they truly wanted to have new riders only you could say that you must never have ridden in the PL before; attained an average; raced only 1 season; raced less than100 meetings

The rule does not stipulate any of that because there is not enough riders that are good enough and some they know would have been ruled out as a result. It would also make it even harder to keep the same rule next season (2017). That is one of the reasons why it is fundamentally flawed.

I accept the point about the spirit of the rule but as I said before if you disagree with the rule you are hardly going to worry about the spirit of it.

I agree with this and think that they have missed a trick here in not limiting the 3.00 PL rider to at least an age restriction (say, under 25 at the start of the season), or for the rider to have at least ridden in the NL before, not just to be qualified to ride in it.

Surely the idea is to help nurture young British riders that have, or are riding in the NL, and to provide a pathway into the PL, but with the regulation being worded simply as 'a British rider who qualifies to ride in the NL' doesn't do that and will allow a team to bring in a rider who has never ridden in the NL before.

• Like 2

I apologise for sounding like a broken record here but there is no loop hole, if he gets British citizenship which he is perfectly entitled to apply for then he has the exact same rights as any other 25 year old British rider who had a season or 2 in the PL that wasn't good enough to rule him out of the NL. There isn't any kind of 2 tier level of citizenship as Gazc keeps implying, that would be discriminatory. You don't have to like it or agree but that is the law and has nothing to do with the bspa. In the same way if Mitchell and his wife decided to move to Australia at some point in the future she would almost certainly apply for Aussie citizenship to gain employment.

If a team found a young Australian rider and brought him over to an arranged marriage with a local girl just to get him a 3.00 average then I would agree as that would be illegal and completely wrong but that's not what happened.

Someone tied to use Matty Wethers as an example to prove me wrong earlier but that is all the proof you need. If stormy was only Australian then he would not qualify for a visa in any shape or form as his final 2015 average was 4.96 and he has not competed in Australia at any level for several years. It is the reason why he was denied a place with Workington at the start of 2015. He now has British citizenship and no longer needs a visa, if Mitchell gets citizenship then he will be in the exact same boat. So you should direct your ire at Workington and Berwick as well.

You do narf go on a bit ,,,

Edited by ruffdiamond
  • Like 1