British Speedway Forum

Edinburgh 2016

Don't mean to pee on your fire, nor have I turned.

The headline says " British Youngsters".

Now when did 29 become a youngster.

Who's signed a 29 year old?

Might not be a youngster George but he has only recently taken up the sport from Moto Cross so is a novice in that respect.

doesn B.W.D ride on a 5 point average and @ number 6 for the dragons/wyverns , er rebels ?

er, sorry bash , just seen your post. almost word for word. sorry again .

somerset sticking to the rules , where as others, well.. arnt .

Edited by jenga
  • Like 1

Might not be a youngster George but he has only recently taken up the sport from Moto Cross so is a novice in that respect.

Understand that, but in the SUPPOSED spirit of things, he ain't gonna be World Champ being that close to his sell by date is he?

Buy hey ho - you only want blood because it's us!

Can't speak for others but I'd be opposing this whoever it was signing Davey because it absolutely stinks. Plus I praised you lot last year for having two young British reserves.

Understand that, but in the SUPPOSED spirit of things, he ain't gonna be World Champ being that close to his sell by date is he?

John Louis was about 29 when he started speedway , and he had quite a decent career .

• Like 2

Don't mean to pee on your fire, nor have I turned.

The headline says " British Youngsters".

Now when did 29 become a youngster.

Who's signed a 29 year old?

It would depend on your definition of “young”, in terms of career the riders you have referenced is young as it is only his third season in the sport. There is nothing to stop him being a rider who races PL speedway for 5 years plus.

I would also question the idea that the system has been introduced in order to produce a World Champion, a decent turnover of British riders would do producing much more on top of that is a bonus.

Edited by sparkafag

True but at least he is British which is more in the spirit of thing's than an Aussie.

It would depend on your definition of “young”, in terms of career the riders you have referenced is young as it is only his third season in the sport. There is nothing to stop him being a rider who races PL speedway for 5 years plus.

I would also question the idea that the system has been introduced in order to produce a World Champion, a decent turnover of British riders would do producing much more on top of that is a bonus.

Totally agree. But fans shouldn't be debating what "young" is.

Should be in the rule itself.

Totally agree. But fans shouldn't be debating what "young" is.

Should be in the rule itself.

I don’t think there is the need to debate it, the rules explain the criteria. The only reference to age is that it is designed to encourage the development of young British riders, which, given the number of young British riders signed it inevitably has.

And at Premier League level every team must track a British rider who is eligible for the National League in the No.7 berth on a three-point average.”

Riders like Ayers and Payne are exceptions, if you decide it should be picked on age you could argue a case that Cook and Lawson might not have met the criteria and slipped through the net simply because they were late starters. I would assume both are case examples of why an age limit hasn’t been set. There was also other mechanism in place to ensure sides couldn’t simply pick up riders like Tony Atkin in relation to averages previously achieved in the PL.

• Like 1

I don’t think there is the need to debate it, the rules explain the criteria. The only reference to age is that it is designed to encourage the development of young British riders, which, given the number of young British riders signed it inevitably has.

And at Premier League level every team must track a British rider who is eligible for the National League in the No.7 berth on a three-point average.”

Riders like Ayers and Payne are exceptions, if you decide it should be picked on age you could argue a case that Cook and Lawson might not have met the criteria and slipped through the net simply because they were late starters. I would assume both are case examples of why an age limit hasn’t been set. There was also other mechanism in place to ensure sides couldn’t simply pick up riders like Tony Atkin in relation to averages previously achieved in the PL.

You're pushing at an open door here mate.

My OP and thoughts are not about the content of the rule, rather Embra getting unnecessary stick, and fans unhappy the rule is written so it has loop holes for exploiting.

• Like 1

You're pushing at an open door here mate.

My OP and thoughts are not about the content of the rule, rather Embra getting unnecessary stick, and fans unhappy the rule is written so it has loop holes for exploiting.

In some instances, it is actually ok for sides to get stick rather than the need to contextually defend them, it isn’t an Edinburgh thing (in this instance it is) it has been a Poole thing, Glasgow thing, Berwick thing, Workington thing, Somerset thing, you name it, most sides will do it and they always get “stick” for it, no one is bullying, picking on, or singling Edinburgh out here.

The easiest way to stop the situation (albeit it in many instances that stick has been entirely merited and mostly brought on themselves) is that the clubs actually act within the interest of the sport rather than their own interests, its beyond tiresome for most now.

If you go by the logic that it is ok to work rules, then every club could decide to act like Havelock has this winter, every side could just choose to have a creative rain off now then, every side could pull a dodgy burger stunt now and then. The sport would transcend into even further farce, but technically, who cares because the rules sort of allow it, but in reality a gentlemanly agreement means that they don’t do it.

You would have hoped someone involved with certain clubs would look in on this forum now and then, or even read it, or listened to fans thoughts and had the savvy to think fans are p*ssed of by the continual finding of loopholes maybe best just to leave it for a bit this time, but clearly not, it is poor, it’s perfectly fine just to say it is rather than adding layers of defence to it.

Edited by sparkafag
  • Like 4

In some instances, it is actually ok for sides to get stick rather than the need to contextually defend them, it isn’t an Edinburgh thing (in this instance it is) it has been a Poole thing, Glasgow thing, Berwick thing, Workington thing, Somerset thing, you name it, most sides will do it and they always get “stick” for it, no one is bullying, picking on, or singling Edinburgh out here.

The easiest way to stop the situation (albeit it in many instances that stick has been entirely merited and mostly brought on themselves) is that the clubs actually act within the interest of the sport rather than their own interests, its beyond tiresome for most now.

If you go by the logic that it is ok to work rules, then every club could decide to act like Havelock has this winter, every side could just choose to have a creative rain off now then, every side could pull a dodgy burger stunt now and then. The sport would transcend into even further farce, but technically, who cares because the rules sort of allow it, but in reality a gentlemanly agreement means that they don’t do it.

You would have hoped someone involved with certain clubs would look in on this forum now and then, or even read it, or listened to fans thoughts and had the savvy to think fans are p*ssed of by the continual finding of loopholes maybe best just to leave it for a bit this time, but clearly not, it is poor, it’s perfectly fine just to say it is rather than adding layers of defence to it.

Bl**dy hell, you're far too erudite for this forum :t:

The rule whilst it has good sentiment behind it is fundamentally flawed, Edinburgh were vehemently against it from the start for a number of reasons and voted against it so not exactly surprising that they are not fully behind it. They lost the vote so have to adhere to it. Without this new rule there is no way Mitchell would have been in the team but he is already an Edinburgh asset, lives locally, has experience, is already a vital part of the club behind the scenes and he qualifies in the rules if he gets his british passport. There was a rumour they approached someone else but the demands were astronimical. Therefore it is a complete no brainer for edinburgh and I think Mitch will score solidly against the other numbers 7s in the league and hope he can improve.

There is no loophole in the rule, you can argue about spirit of the rule all you want but vitually any way you could think of changing the rule to make him ineligible would rule out at least one other rider signed by another team and the rules are the same for everyone. If we had brought someone over in order to get him a passport then I would maybe agree but Mitchell married a scottish lass before the rule was brought in and is as entitled to british citizenship as anyone else.

Any rule that has to be changed every year and puts young riders into teams that are not yet ready is not good for the sport, I wish all the youngsters well for the season but don't come greeting when it doesn't work out and 2/3rds of them don't beat any opposition rider except the no7.

• Like 2

Really don't understand why all these points are being directed in my direction, as the gist of what you're saying has no relevance whatsoever to my OP or my thoughts on the points you raise. A lot of assumptions on my opinions on other areas being made here.

I'll add to the phrase "pushing at an open door" .... grandmother and egg sucking.

One point I will take up on though is folks involved with clubs using this forum as a form of fan feedback.

Three things:

1. I hope they don't as any research needs to be done on a representative, robust sample.

2. I'd like to think most promoters already get their feedback face-to-face from fans on a regular basis. I strongly suspect that as successful business men they do.

3. My experience of both Glasgow and Edinburgh is that the promoters are switched on to their fans thoughts.

Edited by george.m
  • Like 3