British Speedway Forum

Eastbourne 2016

Alex2000

In all fairness, I don't see why everyone is against the dugards win at all costs theory... Would you all still turn up if they were bottom of the league and took a pounding each week like in the old days is the elite? I certainly wouldn't

Agree with cat and that doesn't happen often

So, you are not really a speedway fan then, or more correctly a true fan of the National Development League then? Maybe you should take your support west along the south coast, as I'm sure Mr Ford and his minions would welcome your support of a winning team. Yes, everyone wants to see their team / rider do well, but 'win at all costs', honestly?

Think your find Dave Mason did it last year and turned up at Arlington with a tan a week later? it was also a real tan as he didnt look orange and he was telling the people around him how nice it was in spain. So i guess everyone has a Holiday at some stage even riders lol good or Bad.

But have to remember that this is a development league and a lot of the riders well 99% of them work as well.

Yes indeed, it is the National Development League, not the Elite League, or even the Premier League. Eastbourne tried to compete in those and have now dropped down to the NDL. 'Win at all costs' should have no place in that league.

I have supported Eastbourne for many a years, personally without the eastbournes Birmingham's and cradleys I think this tier would be somewhat boring. I loved the racing last year at Eastbourne as did the kids especially in the summer when they weren't boarding at School up the road.

I pay my money like evrybody else so am entitled to an oppinion and I'd rather see Eastbourne winning than being turned over you may think differently but that's just the way it is.

You have to admire Matt fords work he builds a strong team each year and look st his crowds, oh and his trophy cabinet..

I have supported Eastbourne for many a years, personally without the eastbournes Birmingham's and cradleys I think this tier would be somewhat boring. I loved the racing last year at Eastbourne as did the kids especially in the summer when they weren't boarding at School up the road.

I pay my money like evrybody else so am entitled to an oppinion and I'd rather see Eastbourne winning than being turned over you may think differently but that's just the way it is.

You have to admire Matt fords work he builds a strong team each year and look st his crowds, oh and his trophy cabinet..

It appears your response confirms my opinion and, as you say, your opinion is as valid as anyone else's. No doubting the entertainment served up last year and the BWD effect at Eastbourne.

The NDL was there before Eastbourne fell into it and I'm sure that their fans are pleased that it was there to allow speedway to continue at Arlington. I believe it is just worth remembering the philosophy and raison d'etre that the NDL was formed on. Never forget where you were and where you are now.

It appears your response confirms my opinion and, as you say, your opinion is as valid as anyone else's. No doubting the entertainment served up last year and the BWD effect at Eastbourne.

The NDL was there before Eastbourne fell into it and I'm sure that their fans are pleased that it was there to allow speedway to continue at Arlington. I believe it is just worth remembering the philosophy and raison d'etre that the NDL was formed on. Never forget where you were and where you are now.

The philosophy is still there! How many new riders to British speedway have Eastbourne brought into this league in one season and a couple of meetings? Some i admit at the level of BWD and Daniel Spiller, but others like Wood, Powell etc basically beginners, only difference now is you have more proactive promotions like Eastbourne, and Birmingham joining Cradley who to be fair were really ahead in that area over the last few years. I can only look at the league now compared to a few years ago and the potential of the new British 3 pointers and the likes of Bewdley and Brennen to come is far greater than in recent years. Surely they can only learn, and learn faster with the help from the likes of the Ellis's and the Dugards and other proactive promotions and aid their " development ".

Edited by gazzac
  • Like 3

The philosophy is still there! How many new riders to British speedway have Eastbourne brought into this league in one season and a couple of meetings? Some i admit at the level of BWD and Daniel Spiller, but others like Wood, Powell etc basically beginners, only difference now is you have more proactive promotions like Eastbourne, and Birmingham joining Cradley who to be fair were really ahead in that area over the last few years. I can only look at the league now compared to a few years ago and the potential of the new British 3 pointers and the likes of Bewdley and Brennen to come is far greater than in recent years. Surely they can only learn, and learn faster with the help from the likes of the Ellis's and the Dugards and other proactive promotions and aid their " development ".

The lower points limit last season forced the hand of clubs to give more three point riders team spots, the addition of Birmingham and Eastbourne to the league last year is a coincidence I'd say. Birmingham's three pointers were pretty average last season aside from Wajtknecht, a rider that everyone knew was going to improve on his starting figure. Eastbourne and Birmingham have been a breath of fresh air don't get me wrong but they weren't the catalyst that has made the NL a better product, neither were Cradley. The product has been evolving over time and the emphasis being shifted towards giving three point riders team spots last year was the real shot in the arm for the division. The clubs that want to develop talent are continuing as they were, while those out to win are having to look towards new riders to the sport such as George Woods etc. Everyone is having to identify competitive three pointers or train riders to be at a NL ready level, that can only be a good thing.

• Like 1

The lower points limit last season forced the hand of clubs to give more three point riders team spots, the addition of Birmingham and Eastbourne to the league last year is a coincidence I'd say. Birmingham's three pointers were pretty average last season aside from Wajtknecht, a rider that everyone knew was going to improve on his starting figure. Eastbourne and Birmingham have been a breath of fresh air don't get me wrong but they weren't the catalyst that has made the NL a better product, neither were Cradley. The product has been evolving over time and the emphasis being shifted towards giving three point riders team spots last year was the real shot in the arm for the division. The clubs that want to develop talent are continuing as they were, while those out to win are having to look towards new riders to the sport such as George Woods etc. Everyone is having to identify competitive three pointers or train riders to be at a NL ready level, that can only be a good thing.

I didn't mean to infer that Eastbourne and Birmingham were the catalyst, but they've certainly given the league a good move on. Totally agree it's still evolving and do believe it's going in the right direction with the combination of new untried riders coming in, experienced riders and the likes of Georgie Wood a potential heat leader in 2 years.

• Like 3

Looking back at the History i think your find that way way back Eastbourne started speedway in the so called NL and then progressed up but to be honest they always did well in the 70s until they tried to go with the big boys and its never really worked for them. 77, 78 were one of the best years along with 85, 86, 87 were also good. i have to say i have enjoyed the NL in 2015 but really this is the second division of the British League.

Scrap the EL make the PL the new EL and then make the NL the new PL. but we all know thats not going to happen

• Like 1

Looking back at the History i think your find that way way back Eastbourne started speedway in the so called NL and then progressed up but to be honest they always did well in the 70s until they tried to go with the big boys and its never really worked for them. 77, 78 were one of the best years along with 85, 86, 87 were also good. i have to say i have enjoyed the NL in 2015 but really this is the second division of the British League.

Scrap the EL make the PL the new EL and then make the NL the new PL. but we all know thats not going to happen

Agree,EL is a waste of space now, although Eastie did win the EL in 2000 and 2002 ( although lost the first playoff which I had the misfortune to be at, hopefully what goes round will come round?!) with a lot of home grown talent Dugard, Norris and Barker etc.

• Like 1

Would be nice to think that the Eastbourne club could lift themself out of the NL but to be honest why would they, Connor and Martin have done a great job so far at keeping Eastbourne afloat and speedway in the Area, there is nothing to say that may continue and may step up a league but why would they with all the other problems in the other league.

Eastbourne did not drop into the league Dugard had closed the speedway and Connor and Martin have started it from the lower end to build it up to see if speedway can survive at any level in sussex, I personally think they have done a good job and the changes they have made have be hard but fair but sometimes a bit of Luck,

But the problem is what happens if things change for Connor and Martin where does speedway go then?

• Like 1

Would be nice to think that the Eastbourne club could lift themself out of the NL but to be honest why would they, Connor and Martin have done a great job so far at keeping Eastbourne afloat and speedway in the Area, there is nothing to say that may continue and may step up a league but why would they with all the other problems in the other league.

Eastbourne did not drop into the league Dugard had closed the speedway and Connor and Martin have started it from the lower end to build it up to see if speedway can survive at any level in sussex, I personally think they have done a good job and the changes they have made have be hard but fair but sometimes a bit of Luck,

But the problem is what happens if things change for Connor and Martin where does speedway go then?

Eastbourne started as a training and development track in 1928 and remained so for most years up to 1969. It has simply gone back to its roots and where it is best suited in the 2nd decade of the 21st century. With the facilities and knowledge available there, it should flourish in that arena and become one of the primary hot-beds of unearthing and developing young British speedway talent for the future, allowing riders to move on to the PL and EL, or whatever form British speedway takes over the next years.

I have to agree that some places are ment for the EL and some of them are not, EL is not for Eastbourne, possible at Kent but only because of the location and Stadium. But as far as riders go and the way the speeday is running at the moment at Eastbourne is the way Eastbourne should have been run years ago, make team changes do something different and show people what the costs are not sugar coat it as before and say its going to be ok.

Bob was a great with the team but lacked any constructive communication with the fans, Now look at the Club facebook, Twitter, and instragram trying to promote the club and its not from lack of trying.

I am here to support them and see the club progress and keep racing at Eastbourne, you didnt hear anything last year of we are going to close we are loosing money all we heard was positive information from the club.

Good luck to them but i think its going to be harder this year and the fact that too much was won last year, but i do hope we can whoop kents team at the weekend will stop Len having that wonderful simle across his face.

Very difficult to make the call this week again. Has been raining on and off for 24 hours and my patio is flooded. Forecast tomorrow has more rain between 10 and 12 and again between 2 and 4. With the saturation we have had I would think it difficult to dry it out by 7.30. Hope the forecast is wrong but if they wait and it does rain more in the afternoon they will be criticised for not calling it off earlier. They are in a cleft stick.

Weather is looking better for tomorrow but depends if its done the damage as it did before, i bet they dont make same mistake and call it off early lol.

No, instead they will get slated for getting everyone to the track and making a late call off. Len Silver will most probably say the should have made a much earlier call rather than waste everyones time and money!!

Perks looked very comfortable in his video

Almost as good as Suzi Perry looked in BT Sports promotional advert for the upcoming SGPs. Now why didn't you lot let us know that they were shooting this at Arlington? I would have been down there in a flash...

https://twitter.com/suziperry/status/717037526637232133

• Like 1

Made me laugh someone put a survey up and said about covering tracks with covers? how many clubs have got the money to do such a thing and do they every work? i remember years ago they used to have them in Denmark at Vojens and where the overlap was on the sheet were like little rivers and then the tracks cut up on water mark where it become soft and then that made the track unraceable.

So covers didnt work or they would have continued with them around the world.

I have also seen that Lewis Bridger also done a promo video filmed at Eastbourne, but i guess its keep quite to stop supporters like ourself from seeing whats going on so that the advert looks better, also they dont have to pay for extras standing around the stadium.

oh well at least they have all ridden just waiting for Eastbourne to run a match again, but just looked at the forecast and the weather is ok for Saturday and rain for friday but not a lot by the looks of things, saying that we didnt have that much rain here friday and none on Saturday but it was off?

Weather is good for Saturday so i hope that the whole of speedway can get on and run some matches, would have been nice to see the Match between Eagles and Kings as there was no meeting at Lakeside on friday so they should have had a bumper crowd but that didnt happen.

Just waiting on the new date as i will try to make that.