British Speedway Forum

Eastbourne 2016

Alex2000

I go to quite a few Eagles matches but not all, being 60 miles away so have to pick and choose a little. Even back in the Elite league day's tended to pick the one's where Nicki Pedersen had a fight on his hands with the likes of Crump and Adams over ones he would normally win with ease. Last year looked forward to Birmingham and Rye coming with the likes of Ellis and Branford making BWD work hard for his points and often beating him but made for great racing and a lively meeting. I know all the arguments over what the nl should be go on, but as the rules are as they are,should we not all be pleased that we have the chance for the time being to see Adam up against the likes of Bowen, Shanes etc. If he had signed for another team now, I would certainly be marking that one as one to see with the hope our guy's would give it go against him, as BWD did last year, normally coming second, but must have improved him as a rider. Anyway welcome Adam look forward to seeing you for whatever period and am sure you'll help bring on the newer rider's whilst you're here improving their level.

• Like 1

I wonder if Islander who seems to be au fait with the rule book can clarify the potential situation at Eastbourne.

The recent changes which were forced upon them because of injury and limited rider availability leaves them 1.82 points below limit.

When Kyle is fit and Adam probably leaves, assuming his average is still 10.14, there will be a further reduction of 1.47 (10.14 - 8.67).

Do they replace someone else with another rider averaging 1.47 more which would still leave them 1.82 below limit or can they recover the full shortfall by brining in for example a 6.29 for a 3.00?

If they cannot eat into the 1.82 shortfall then we have the strange situation that having replaced the two injured riders (13.85pts) with Adam and Luke (13.14pts) they would not be able to bring them back when fit again.

It looks like being a difficult season if they stay at almost 2.00 below limit.

I wonder if Islander who seems to be au fait with the rule book can clarify the potential situation at Eastbourne.

The recent changes which were forced upon them because of injury and limited rider availability leaves them 1.82 points below limit.

When Kyle is fit and Adam probably leaves, assuming his average is still 10.14, there will be a further reduction of 1.47 (10.14 - 8.67).

Do they replace someone else with another rider averaging 1.47 more which would still leave them 1.82 below limit or can they recover the full shortfall by brining in for example a 6.29 for a 3.00?

If they cannot eat into the 1.82 shortfall then we have the strange situation that having replaced the two injured riders (13.85pts) with Adam and Luke (13.14pts) they would not be able to bring them back when fit again.

It looks like being a difficult season if they stay at almost 2.00 below limit.

If Eastbourne are below 40.00 then they can build up to 40.00

If they are above the limit then: they can only replace riders by other riders with lower average - the exception being that in the unlikely situation that Ellis's average has fallen below Hughes's they would still be able to reintroduce Hughes.

The real problem is that when the points limit is substantially below 42 (the average average for an average team in any league whatever the points limit at the start of the season) it makes it very difficult for any team (other than the badly understrength) to make changes.

It could well be a difficult year for Eastbourne - they badly need Wood and one of the three pointers to make significant progress.

• Like 1

You can make whatever changes you like if you re-declare under the points limit, if the team total is over the points limit you can only replace a rider up to his average though.

If the total team average has gone up to say 42 and you want/have to replace a 10 pointer and a four pointer you have to replace them like for like and not with two seven pointers.

• Like 1

No arguing that Ellis (Adam Ellis not Perks too many Ellis's/Ellisi...) is a cracking signing but Eastie are going to be very reliant on him having a cracker every meeting. He is more than capable but as proven last year he can lay on the track just like any other rider or suffer mechanical gremlins. It leaves this Eastbourne team very much reliant on Perks, Woods & Knight all having consistent good meetings too and/or Powell, Phillips or Harris stepping up and showing a significant level of improvement (my current money would be on Phillips).

As last season showed with vastly different results (Brum/Kent) a strong 4 but weak tail can provide very differing results but i still think Eastbourne have a lot to do if they are to get near the haul of silverware they achieved last season.

• Like 1

All of which begs the question, why did they bring in Harris at 3.00 when they could have had someone at 4.82?

They have been pretty good at teambuilding and committed to success which makes me think that there are more irons in the fire and further changes planned in due course.

All of which begs the question, why did they bring in Harris at 3.00 when they could have had someone at 4.82?

They have been pretty good at teambuilding and committed to success which makes me think that there are more irons in the fire and further changes planned in due course.

Probably because riders with a little experience and around that average are not available / taken a year out. The bitter irony that Kelsey on 4.49 would have been a perfect fit!

• Like 1

the way I see it:

Ellis good for 13 home and away

Harris just needs to do the Danno of previous years and pick up the odd point here or there and hit his average of 3

Perks I think perks once dialed in at Eastbourne especially is good for 10 around most places

Wood definitly shown his improvement scoring 15 at Coventry and leading Danny Ayres st Eastbourne for a good straight I'd say he's good for 10 too.

Knight well we've seen how he's going and I think he can beat most number 1s to I'm going for 10-12 from 5.

Phillips if he can get dialed in at Eastbourne he should be able to get a win or paid win in heat 2 then pick up the odd 3rd places here or there. So I'd say 2/3 maybe 4 at home.

Powell, scored 8+1 at brum last year and was leading all his races at Coventry which apparently Connor and Martin have sorted which I read in a press release if that's the case then Charley I think is good for 5+ everywhere.

That's 53 at minimum for me on that scale I think Eastbourne will definitly break the 60 mark this season at some point.

I think it probably is that as you say apart from Kelsey there were no 4.5+ riders around and he really wanted a season away from Arlington. Maybe also looking further ahead they might keep the best two 3 pointers with another change in mind later on with the possible return of Hughes and/or Andrews with even Spiller maybe in the mix after his exams .Can't believe it's not a top 4 team, whichever way they go, and once in the playoffs should have the team needed to win it hopefully.

well looking at the Videos on Face Book i have to say i dont think its that long before Tom Brennan will get out on the track he will pick up a few points and learn his way around, i have to say that Andrews will be able to come back soon along with Hughes but who knows whats going on in the minds of the promoters, We have only lost a challange matches, the team has been changed more then ever before, Adam is the signing of the season no question, i would be a bit more worried of what Kent did at Mildenhall after Mildenhall lost 2 of the riders and the so called 747 had a meeting like that, runing scared as the fat controller said from kent?

wait until kent have a team problem for some reason and lets see how they can build it up.

well looking at the Videos on Face Book i have to say i dont think its that long before Tom Brennan will get out on the track he will pick up a few points and learn his way around, i have to say that Andrews will be able to come back soon along with Hughes but who knows whats going on in the minds of the promoters, We have only lost a challange matches, the team has been changed more then ever before, Adam is the signing of the season no question, i would be a bit more worried of what Kent did at Mildenhall after Mildenhall lost 2 of the riders and the so called 747 had a meeting like that, runing scared as the fat controller said from kent?

wait until kent have a team problem for some reason and lets see how they can build it up.

Bowen's performance at Mildenhall is a one off I'd suggest and it's understandable considering the injuries he has had over the years that he'd not be that thrilled about going out on a track which he may consider unsafe. Once the new averages come out their entire top three are likely to be on averages over eight, Joe Jacobs is without a team at this level, Ben Hopwood will be available again soon, Kyle Hughes could even be an option further down the line if he returns to fitness and can't be accommodated back at Eastbourne. Marc Owen may want to make a comeback later in the season. Dan Spiller could be an option for someone come the summer if there's not a space for him at Eastbourne too. There are/will be plenty of options out there for teams with problems at the top end.

Worried what Kent did? Win away on a shocking track.

Anyway i do not dispute that the Eastie promotion are far more active and connected when it comes to sourcing riders as has been proven once again this season.

You will find no arguments from me that we are fortunate the gamble on a very erratic Danny Ayres has paid off, that Danno has grown a pair and that Jack Thomas dropped into Len's lap at a youth round despite being around for a season or two before but Len was completely unaware he existed.

In terms of connections and willingness to listen to the advice of others the Eagles are head and shoulders above most in the league. I have the deepest sympathy for Eastbourne and the injured riders as i rated your initial line up (barring the reserves who had been set up to fail in my opinion).

Looking forward to Saturday and as long as everyone stays safe and its an entertaining meeting the result is 3rd in my list of priorities (4th depending if i get food or not).

• Like 3

Looking forward to Saturday and as long as everyone stays safe and its an entertaining meeting the result is 3rd in my list of priorities (4th depending if i get food or not).

Great comment S4K. I don't know why it always surprises me when I read the 'win at all costs' posts by the majority of Eastbourne fans on here - though Cat In The Hat's are usually so ridiculous that they are laughable. OK you would like to see your team do well, but there are other considerations, particularly in a Development league.

Len silver detested Daniel spiller when we brought him in last season so I doubt spiller would want to go there although he liked the track.

Still being naive I see. Never say never.

• Like 2

Len silver detested Daniel spiller when we brought him in last season so I doubt spiller would want to go there although he liked the track.

Len Silver was unhappy that you signed Spiller, he was wrong in my opinion to complain about you making the signing, he didn't have any issue with Spiller himself I'm sure though.

Harris at reserve so him and charley and Georgie can take the rr ride for Nick

Actually Len came up to Martin last year at Kent and said I'm not happy you signed this spiller kid and Daniel was on the floor doing something to the bike,

After the meeting Daniel walked up to Len and said hi Len I'm Daniel spiller and I just scored 20 points against you and beat your number 1. Very entertaining from the kid

• Like 1

Great comment S4K. I don't know why it always surprises me when I read the 'win at all costs' posts by the majority of Eastbourne fans on here - though Cat In The Hat's are usually so ridiculous that they are laughable. OK you would like to see your team do well, but there are other considerations, particularly in a Development league.

Still being naive I see. Never say never.

But you didn't hear what was said did you? I'm not saying never. (Jubilee clip has posted this) Edited by Al3x200