British Speedway Forum

Birmingham Brummies 2016

Brummie Kev

BIRMINGHAM have added local lad Emerson Jones to their squad for the 2016 season.

The 21-year-old from Stourbridge has signed on as the Surestop Brummies No.8 for the defence of their National League crown.

Jones, who had a brief stint with Stoke a couple of years ago, turned down a main reserve team spot at other third tier clubs as he feels joining the Perry Barr outfit will be more beneficial.

Said Jones: "Everything about Birmingham is so appealing and I'm really looking forward to next year.

"Riding at No.7 for some of the other teams wouldn't have done me as good as joining the Birmingham squad; I feel they can offer me a lot more.

"There's a lot of experienced people at this club and some exciting, young riders too and I'm sure I'm going to learn plenty over the season.

"I don't want to rush things but hopefully by the end of the season I'll have done a few meetings for the club and show what I can do."

Team manager Graham Drury said: "Emerson will be working with our Development Coach Rob Fortune over the season and we're delighted to welcome him to the club.

"To turn down other clubs to join us as our No.8 is encouraging from our point of view and we'll see how things pan out.

"We'll be involving him behind the scenes every meeting, he'll be having a spin after every home fixture and if he proves to me he's ready then he'll be given the opportunities to impress when the time is right.

"For our final main team place there's a number of riders in contention.

"Some are ones I've shortlisted and others have been brought to my attention on the recommendation of other people around the club.

"I'm keeping my eye on amateur meetings and general feedback from others will play its part too but whoever we end up signing out of those in mind, they will be a good addition to our team."

Well good luck to the lad on a personal basis. The last Emerson to ride for the Brummies did a respectable enough job.

On a different perspective though, how much in the way of resources will be needed to get this 21 year old to be competitive? He's 6-7 years behind the development curve already. What's the long term plan? Where's he supposed to be at when he's 23? 25? 30? Danish Swedish and Polish kids his age are riding in the Elite Leagues throughout Europe and winning GP's. Shouldn't British resources be devoted to bringing on the mid-teenagers rather than riders who may just peak their careers in the PL reserve berths?

Well good luck to the lad on a personal basis. The last Emerson to ride for the Brummies did a respectable enough job.

On a different perspective though, how much in the way of resources will be needed to get this 21 year old to be competitive? He's 6-7 years behind the development curve already. What's the long term plan? Where's he supposed to be at when he's 23? 25? 30? Danish Swedish and Polish kids his age are riding in the Elite Leagues throughout Europe and winning GP's. Shouldn't British resources be devoted to bringing on the mid-teenagers rather than riders who may just peak their careers in the PL reserve berths?

Jeez, give the lad a break!

• Like 1

Commitment is key hereMaybe he can't fully commit to the full season in the NL

Commitment seems to be an issue. Seems he was at Stoke a couple of years ago. Who knows what he's done or where he's beern since. So in 2 years, he's not yet at the NL reserve standard yet, and nor does the lad feel confident enough to make a go of it in regular NL racing.

Looks to me that this story is all about how great Birmingham are an how much better it is to be a number 8 and not riding at Brum than being anywhere else and getting a ride. I wonder whose self-indulgance sparked this story?

I wonder if Jolly Kevin will be offering up his opinion on this situation?

• Like 1

We the Eagles, really did win the National League last year, we won the play off !! But this year it will be all Brummies, I think you will win the lot.

Maybe You the Sparrows ought to enter the Eurovision Song Contest, as you are so good at winning things. Might win that as well.

So who's the number 2 then - kirby again?

You are Number 6...oops, wrong TV programme :t:

Hmm didn't see that coming for many reasons. Kenny was a real talent in his youth grasstrack days and doesn't seem to be a shortage of money there. Seen him since at the odd amateur speedway meeting and has looked average. Think this is definitely a signing that is young enough rather than good enough. If you are looking for expectation levels I would think more Callum Walker than Zach Waj.

Could be the blooper that hurts Brum retaining the title as the other 6 are very good.