British Speedway Forum

Nominate Tai For An Honour

Trevor

Depends if Britain win the Davis Cup, Think Murray will win it if they do

Surely the Team of the Year will be the tennis players in plural. Our swimmers and gymnasts won a shoal of medals earlier in the year so already out of the public consciousness.

Individual personality (due to allowing the public to vote en masses) either Lewis Hamilton or Wayne Rooney.

I'm sure if your paths ever crossed he'd hold you in similar regard.

No doubt your achievements either sporting or for the greater good of mankind are far greater.

Cock of the Forum, not to be dismissed easily. :P

• Like 2

It's not the Sports Personality of the Year. It's the BBC Sports Personality of the Year.

Tai isn't a BBC personality.

Far too much importance is put onto this contest in my opinion, especially since it became a phone vote - mainly because it once was relevant because BBC was the only channel I guess, so it once meant something.

For Tai to get any recognition he needs to become a big household name, and despite what people like to think, that is something he isn't.

Edited by grachan
  • Like 4

It's not the Sports Personality of the Year. It's the BBC Sports Personality of the Year.

Far too much importance is put onto this contest in my opinion, especially since it became a phone vote - mainly because it once was relevant because BBC was the only channel I guess, so it once meant something.

For Tai to get any recognition he needs to become a big household name, and despite what people like to thing, that is something he isn't.

I agree. I remember voting for Ivan Mauger back in 1972 but as you say it's a BBC poll. Throughout the seventies when British/English speedway ruled the roost speedway only received fleeting references because, I guess, ITV covered the major events.

Wasn't there a suggestion of a vote 'fix' when Briggo was nominated back in the sixties?

Edited by steve roberts

I agree. I remember voting for Ivan Mauger back in 1972 but as you say it's a BBC poll. Throughout the seventies when British/English speedway ruled the roost speedway only received fleeting references because, I guess, ITV covered the major events.

Wasn't there a suggestion of a vote 'fix' when Briggo was nominated back in the sixties?

The story is that he received the most votes one year, so they gave him second!

There's also Bob Nudd - the fishing guy. He apparently got most votes one year but was completely ignored. So, taking that into account, I guess Briggo was lucky to get second.

For Tai to get any recognition he needs to become a big household name, and despite what people like to think, that is something he isn't.

Agree 100%. Maybe if Tai continues to dominate the SGPs with the BT Sports coverage, it may change, as BT have a much greater affinity with BBC, including sharing commentators and presenters in some instances!!

You never know, we may see Clare Balding commenting on the GPs????!! :D

Edited by Skidder1
  • Like 1

Agree 100%. Maybe if Tai continues to dominate the SGPs with the BT Sports coverage, it may change, as BT have a much greater affinity with BBC, including sharing commentators and presenters in some instances!!

You never know, we may see Clare Balding commenting on the GPs????!! :D

Either that or get him on "I'm a Celebrity get me out of here"!

And I'm only half joking.

unless its already happened (think its December normally) the FIM awards is probably his best hope, along with regional awards

Regional awards ? He doesn't ride in the UK

People shouldn't blame the bbc for ignoring tai or speedway because the blame is solely down to the promotors who have made it a minority sport.

Who would tai come before on the list of 12 finding it hard to put him in the top 12

I understand that 'Briggo' won but that the BBC thought it was better to give it to an Olympic Athlete instead.

SODS!!!

• 2 weeks later...

Excellent to see the Woffy biography being put in major book shops right throughout the UK.

Not just track shops, but nationwide. The same publishers as Katie Price (like her or loathe her), they know

how to promote.

Another plus, on the promotional front of having a ENGLISH world champion

Who Doesn't ride in ENGLAND

So how many times does Lewis Hamilton race GP's in England or how many times does Andy Murray play in tournaments in England. Even Tyson Fury won his world title abroad

Sound logic old boy. :t::approve: :approve: :approve:

• Like 1

Murray: Wimbledon, Queens, ATP World Tour Final, Davis Cup - quite a bit in 2015 for an international sportsman that doesn't have a league that he could compete in in the UK.

Sings the National Anthem too :lol:

And Hamilton? Couldn't even be bothered to turn up for the Autosport Awards that gave him so much support in the early years.

• Like 1

And Hamilton? Couldn't even be bothered to turn up for the Autosport Awards that gave him so much support in the early years.

Wasn't commenting on Hamilton as I have my own opinions on him that probably align to yours from your post.

Murray, is somebody that can be defended, is one of the UK's greatest ever sportsmen, is proud to represent his country and plays in Britain whenever the schedule allows. Great family man too, who only this week said that he would return from the Australian Open if his wife shows signs of going into labour.

Linking Murray with Hamilton is ridiculous.