British Speedway Forum

Nominate Tai For An Honour

Trevor

You would be as well betting on me ,because you would get the same money ZILCH!!!

Yeah, just checked, Lewis Hamilton received over 200 000 votes last year, don't think there are that many people in the Uk that have even heard of Speedway

Would take everyone that went to Cardiff, to vote 5 times for him.

• Like 1

You can get odds of 200/1 with Ladbrokes that Tai will be S.P.O.T.Y

bare in mind it is voted by the general public, the votes will probably be split between Ennis, Cook and Hamilton

not sure how many people actually vote in these things but I remember a so called betting sting a few years ago when Ryan Giggs won it

Now if every speedway fan in Britain voted a few times for Tai, and cover the cost of the phone bill by having a couple quid on Tai........... :lol:

If every speedway fan nin the world voted 100 times , the BBC would adjust the result , to give a more realistic view of the publics wishes !! Princess Anne would likely be the winner

Yeah, just checked, Lewis Hamilton received over 200 000 votes last year, don't think there are that many people in the Uk that have even heard of Speedway

Would take everyone that went to Cardiff, to vote 5 times for him.

I think more people in the UK have heard of speedway , than had ever heard of Zara Phillips

Edited by speedibee

You can get odds of 200/1 with Ladbrokes that Tai will be S.P.O.T.Y

bear in mind it is voted by the general public,

But it's not. The nominations are chosen by a BBC panel, not the public.

The public only get to chose from the shortlist at the end.

The chances of getting Tai on the shortlist are slim to none. Though that doesn't mean we shouldn't try. If enough fans bombard the BBC panel and make them aware of Tai, it can only do good.

I doubt there's any chance of him reaching the shortlist, but he probably will get a 5 second mention in "our other British world champions".

If we can raise awareness of his achievements (including charity work) we might get that up to a 30 second mention....and 30 seconds of primetime BBC is quite valuable.

• Like 1

If every speedway fan nin the world voted 100 times , the BBC would adjust the result , to give a more realistic view of the publics wishes !! Princess Anne would likely be the winner

I think more people in the UK have heard of speedway , than had ever heard of Zara Phillips

i wouldn't bet on that thanks to mike tindall :oops:

This weekend saw a true British World Champion crowned for the third time #44, and hopefully in 11 days time a young man from Wiltshire will pick up the gold in motorcycle grand prix racing, the first since Barry Sheen 38 years ago!

Hamilton & especially Danny Kent (if he picks up those 2 points in Valencia) more deserving of honours imo.

Hamilton already has an honour . arrogant cock of the year for the last 20 years .

I've not looked at the odds but I'd be shocked and amazed if Hamilton was not out and out favourite. 3 times Champion in a sport the BBC show and it's very popular (whatever individuals might think)

Ennis is massive favourite, Hamilton won it last year, Andy Murray is one of the favs , Chris Froome, Mo Farah and Wayne Rooney make up the top 6 in terms of bookie odds (bet 365)

I've not looked at the odds but I'd be shocked and amazed if Hamilton was not out and out favourite. 3 times Champion in a sport the BBC show and it's very popular (whatever individuals might think)

Yes I'd have thought he would be favourite but Ennis-Hill is odds on for some reason.

To me the 11-2 odds for Lewis were good enough value to stick £20 on him straight off.

Can't see him being beat myself.

Yes I'd have thought he would be favourite but Ennis-Hill is odds on for some reason.

To me the 11-2 odds for Lewis were good enough value to stick £20 on him straight off.

Can't see him being beat myself.

Depends if Britain win the Davis Cup, Think Murray will win it if they do

Does Tai Woffinden warrant an honour? Very good question. He is twice a World Champion and based on the fact he does a lot for charity, yes he should be recognised with an MBE. Bradley Wiggins got a Knighthood for winning the Tour De France. Chris Frome has since won it twice but he has nothing. What I will say though is anyone who thinks Tai has any chance of winning the BBC S.P.O.T.Y is seriously dancing with the fairies or smoking something very strong!. For one the shortlist is not decided by the public. It is decided by the BBC to ensure that it is politically correct. The likes of Lewis Hamilton, A P McCoy, Wayne Rooney and Mo Farrah will be on the list and quite rightly so but the others will be made up of a couple of token women, a token black, token Asian and last but not least a token disabled athlete. What we have to understand is Speedway is a minority sport and outside its circles (no pun intended) not a lot of people have interest in it. I believe that SKY tv have their own sports awards so maybe he will get something from that.

Does Tai Woffinden warrant an honour? Very good question. He is twice a World Champion and based on the fact he does a lot for charity, yes he should be recognised with an MBE. Bradley Wiggins got a Knighthood for winning the Tour De France. Chris Frome has since won it twice but he has nothing. What I will say though is anyone who thinks Tai has any chance of winning the BBC S.P.O.T.Y is seriously dancing with the fairies or smoking something very strong!. For one the shortlist is not decided by the public. It is decided by the BBC to ensure that it is politically correct. The likes of Lewis Hamilton, A P McCoy, Wayne Rooney and Mo Farrah will be on the list and quite rightly so but the others will be made up of a couple of token women, a token black, token Asian and last but not least a token disabled athlete. What we have to understand is Speedway is a minority sport and outside its circles (no pun intended) not a lot of people have interest in it. I believe that SKY tv have their own sports awards so maybe he will get something from that.

Since Sky don't show the GP series I can't see that happening either.

Since Sky don't show the GP series I can't see that happening either.

A good point that.

So, in a nutshell, probably not much recognition for Tai or Speedway at any Awards Ceremony. Just have to hope for a tiny 'clip' on SPOTY - and if it is there at all - it will be tiny.

I want to send off the form to nominate Tai for an honour. However I need one or two more statements of support. Could people consider writing a paragraph including your full name etc at the end for me to include with the form I have filled in? I have had only one so far and the form asks for two or more letters of support. You can private message me your paragraphs and I will print them off and include your statement of support with the form. Thanks

• 4 weeks later...