British Speedway Forum

Somerset 2016

Seems like a good trapper then

Ed Ling from Taunton has just won the Bronze in the Men's Trap Shooting. Now wouldn't it be good to get him along to the OTA to take some applause.

oh no , not another gating tart at the apple tree arena !

I particularly like Shads comment after the comments on the other Rye/Somerset thread ;)

Oh, we are full of ourselves aren't we. For a minute I thought I was reading an Edinburgh thread

• Like 1

• 4 weeks later...

Well done to the Rebels who had the courage to go for Tungate, Allen, & Wilson-Dean as newcomers, which I doubt were much fancied by other sides at the start of the Season.

Like some others, I would prefer the team that finishes top of the table to be crowned Champions, but accept that the Play-Offs are now how it goes.

Still reckon Rebels could still sweep the board for the major PL team trophies.

• Like 5

Well done to the Rebels who had the courage to go for Tungate, Allen, & Wilson-Dean as newcomers, which I doubt were much fancied by other sides at the start of the Season.

Like some others, I would prefer the team that finishes top of the table to be crowned Champions, but accept that the Play-Offs are now how it goes.

Garry took a chance on a few riders and it paid off. Stay injury free only complacency will stop them..

You really do know naff all about Speedway do you, Tungate a newcomer? Allen was on the verge of signing for Berwick for the 2015 season only for the new visa laws to put his average from a 5 to a 7 and they couldn't fit him into the team plans and Wilson-Dean was looked at by many as the best rider in the NL by a country mile with Rye House and Ipswich both keen on him. Oh and incase you didn't know, as a clue, Rohan Tungate got banned last year for fencing Auty after the race at Scunny so is not a newcomer what so ever.

Must admit I didn't fancy Somerset this year, and thought it was a poor team, especially as to what has gone on before this year. Tungate had personal probs, Jake Allan was doubted when Berwick were sniffing, didn't think that Charles and Paul would kick on and get heat leader status but good second strings, but with Josh being mainly good this year with his usual off performance like at Newcastle on Sunday, they have managed to swing things around and have the results to prove it. They don't miss many meetings, unlike Newcastle where we have had a patchwork team for key away meetings and lost.

Good team that Somerset are, they would not fancy taking on Newcastle on an aggregate basis. but none of the top 6 will either.

You really do know naff all about Speedway do you, Tungate a newcomer? Allen was on the verge of signing for Berwick for the 2015 season only for the new visa laws to put his average from a 5 to a 7 and they couldn't fit him into the team plans and Wilson-Dean was looked at by many as the best rider in the NL by a country mile with Rye House and Ipswich both keen on him. Oh and incase you didn't know, as a clue, Rohan Tungate got banned last year for fencing Auty after the race at Scunny so is not a newcomer what so ever.

You should wind your neck in before jumping in with both feet.

I was referring to newcomers to the Somerset team!

Quite aware of their previous history.

• Like 1

Best thing Tungate has done this season was moving away from Foxhall . Don't think there is any Witches fans out there that don't think he's got the talent far from it,

His move to the Oaktree has really seen him come on , think he must be nailed on for your rider of the season ?

Best thing Tungate has done this season was moving away from Foxhall . Don't think there is any Witches fans out there that don't think he's got the talent far from it,

His move to the Oaktree has really seen him come on , think he must be nailed on for your rider of the season ?

He was fairly poor at Berwick last night, looked all over the place and didn't have a lot of speed, but he still scored 7+1 which indicates that he IS a good rider as he scored to his average whilst having a bad night

The best bit is, the Rider doesn't even have a say on if/when he is traded, bit like a cattle market really.

One day he could be owned by Club A, next day owned by Club B, and he won't even know the true transfer fee.

And yes, that's 100% fact.

Which of course is not true. A rider initially signs for his first team. If that team wants to sell him, he has to agree and signs the transfer docs without which he could not move on. He can remain their asset and be loaned, again, but only with his permission and the obligatory signing of the docs. A rider will move and ride for someone else only if he agrees, buying or loaning. The only case I can think of when that doesn't happen is if his parent company goes out of business and the BSPA are then charged with disposing of their assets by other clubs buying the rider. He does know the transfer fee as he can if he wants to take, I think, it is 10% of the transfer fee.

He was fairly poor at Berwick last night, looked all over the place and didn't have a lot of speed, but he still scored 7+1 which indicates that he IS a good rider as he scored to his average whilst having a bad night

Next step to see if he can carry on . Looking at his average since he came over Tungate has improved it each year apart from last year i think . Two seasons ago he finished as the Witches No1 and was flying . Have said before i think Tungate alot comes down to his confidence , last season with all that went on probably didn't help the rise of Covatti and King being the Witches big hitter maybe took some of the limelight away from Tungate . He never looked like the rider that finished the season before . He gone from being the Witches no1 to a 2nd/3rd heat leader slot . All speculation yes and there are probably many other reasons why Tungate had a very average season last year .

I will admit i was one of the Witches fans who was happy to see him go out to another club this year as well as Heeps who went to Rye house , but i dont begrudge him success far from it well done to Tungate for proving me wrong . Will he be back at Ipswich next season IMO i don't think so but you never know .

Which of course is not true. A rider initially signs for his first team. If that team wants to sell him, he has to agree and signs the transfer docs without which he could not move on. He can remain their asset and be loaned, again, but only with his permission and the obligatory signing of the docs. A rider will move and ride for someone else only if he agrees, buying or loaning. The only case I can think of when that doesn't happen is if his parent company goes out of business and the BSPA are then charged with disposing of their assets by other clubs buying the rider. He does know the transfer fee as he can if he wants to take, I think, it is 10% of the transfer fee.

Spot on. 10% of the transfer fee is correct, but loses the right to have a testimonial if the rider takes the 10% cut.