British Speedway Forum

Somerset 2016

good effort from kurtz . well done . so sad to see the dummy masters sulking. poor attitude from him at the presentation . once again well done Brady and thanks for the coverage . pl is going to miss him .

Agree Jenga (first for me I think ha), was disappointed to see no Brady this year.
  • Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

It is of course a wyvern, not a dragon and is a commonplace emblem in the county so much more relevant than the second-hand use of the Oxford/White City Rebels design.

It's great to see a promotion using intelligence over the use of a questionable design as the confederate flag, widely recognised as the symbol of racism and totally irrelevant to Somerset.

Of course this will be irrelevant to many, as we have seen in this forum thread and will be ridiculed by the ill-informed but there will be plenty who respect this little piece of intelligence. Success is often down to attending to the minor details.It's good to see some in speedway can see the bigger picture.

Edited by rmc
  • Like 2

Funny how about 5 or 6 years ago I questioned the flag no here and was shouted down. The club change it and it's a great change.

Speedway fans in being fickle shocker!

Funny how about 5 or 6 years ago I questioned the flag no here and was shouted down. The club change it and it's a great change.

What did you question about the flag 5 or 6 years ago?

I certainly don't remember even seeing your post let alone criticising it. In any case this is about principles, not your pride.

adopted in 2013 ! ! loads of history .

The flag was adopted in 2013 by Somerset County Council, but the emblem itself has been present on the Somerset Coat of Arms, since it was ratified by the Court of Heralds in 1911........so yep, 105 years worth

• Like 1

Yes and on that Wiki page under the picture it says " a dragon rampant" it does not say a Wyvern rampant, hence my post "about as close to a Welsh dragon as you can get "

Are you insinuating all dragons are Welsh? I'm failing to see what point you are trying to make. Who cares if it's a dragon, a pony or a giraffe - it's now a true representation of the County itself.

The only I've suggested could of been better was the design itself, being on a plain white background which makes it look quite cheap.

Edited by Najjer

What did you question about the flag 5 or 6 years ago?

I certainly don't remember even seeing your post let alone criticising it. In any case this is about principles, not your pride.

Oh look at me again everybody aren't I great!!

"I didn't see it, it didn't happen" - great.

Also, the last line told you exactly what my point was. Speedway fans changing their mind on a whim because someone tells them too. Pathetic. Why not actually form an opinion yourself some time. Mind you, that could be dangerous for some!

For the record, at the time I posted, "Somerset Rebels with the confederate flag confuses me. Nobody would call themselves the xxx Nazis with a Swastika as a logo would they? I'm bemused as to how its allowed."

"I didn't see it, it didn't happen" - great.

Also, the last line told you exactly what my point was. Speedway fans changing their mind on a whim because someone tells them too. Pathetic. Why not actually form an opinion yourself some time. Mind you, that could be dangerous for some!

For the record, at the time I posted, "Somerset Rebels with the confederate flag confuses me. Nobody would call themselves the xxx Nazis with a Swastika as a logo would they? I'm bemused as to how its allowed."

It was allowed for 15 years, so I really don't know what the problem is. People bored to much time springs to mind !!

• Like 1