British Speedway Forum

Somerset 2016

Having been a regular visitor over the years following my team I've noticed crowds at the OTA look have been down recently. Every team has to work to a budget and Somerset are no different.

They are taking a risk with these untried three, whereas some sides (mine included) have gone with the same old faces. Whether it works or not, who knows?

• Like 1

It looks a slightly weaker Somerset side than usual, but most PL sides do look weaker due to the loss of several high average riders this winter.

I don’t know much about either Wilson-Dean or Allen but the fact that Somerset have signed them makes me think they will both have something based on the promotions track record.

Starke looks like a rider ready to become a third heat leader and Tungate is talented enough to be a very solid second heat leader home and away.

As has been said by others, it looks like a side that will be ready to peak for the Play-Offs.

Edited by sparkafag

Not convinced by this team, but will be happy to be proved wrong! As the promotion have said, it's all about team balance. Gamble on either BWD or Jake Allen on a 5.00 average by all means, but including both is a huge punt in my book. Personally I'd much rather have Aspegren and one of BWD or Allen for a better balance. But I'm sure we'll be there when the silverware is handed out, as usual.

By the way, does anyone know how many meetings Josh is likely to miss with his EL commitments - I'm not clued-up on who's riding when in the EL this year.

Looks an entertaining side and some riders with hopefully the potential to do well. Some have said on here, weakest side for some time, however that's not managements fault, it's the fault of the BSPA who weaken all teams, especially successful sides every year with the stupid low points limit. Look back 2 years to 2013, Somerset had Jason Doyle, Nick Morris, Kyle Newman, Alex Davies, and Charles Wright at reserve, Josh was only third heat leader on 8-41 average. Now he is number 1, he has never been up to what was considered a number one a few years ago and certainly not an out and out number one last season. In a few years time Charles will be number one and the rest of the team National League riders.

Looks poor compared to what the Rebels have put out in recent times. I'd be unhappy with the signing of Tungate. I can't see any improvement from Wright or Starke either, especially now there will be more expected from them. Allen is an unknown quantity granted. BWD has potential but wasn't exactly head and shoulders ahead of Morley, Branford, Greenwood in the NL last year yet he's coming in on a five.

Now that the team has been announced will someone name which riders are also signed for other teams in 2016 and in the event of a fixture clash which team has priority.

Josh Grajczonek EL Swindon Priority Swindon

Charles Wright EL Swindon Priority Somerset

Paul Starke EL Leicester Priority Somerset

Zach Wajtknecht NL Birmingham Priority I'm not to sure but at a guess the Brummies

If I'm wrong on any of this I'm sure I'll be quickly corrected

BWD was excellent at Arlington last season - refused to give up and will give 100% every meeting. If he arrives with decent sponsorship and kit BWD will do a decent job for the rebels. Would think that he will certainly improve on that average if he gets time to bed into the team.

I might hazard a guess that, of all the PL 3-pointers signed, only Liam Carr at Berwick's priority will be to the PL club.

He is Berwick asset, I don't know of any others who are at their parent club (although there may be some).

Otherwise, I'd be pretty sure the NL clubs will have priority. They most certainly should, IMO.

Yep why not?

Why? The EL draft riders didn't have EL priority. Once again the PL want to have it's cake and eat it.

Every time PL 1st PL 2nd and if there's any cake left PL 3rd !!! Especially if it's for Somerset Rebels !!!

I might hazard a guess that, of all the PL 3-pointers signed, only Liam Carr at Berwick's priority will be to the PL club.

He is Berwick asset, I don't know of any others who are at their parent club (although there may be some).

Otherwise, I'd be pretty sure the NL clubs will have priority. They most certainly should, IMO.

Pretty sure Ben Morley is a Rye House asset

Worst thing about this team is if Gary May keeps changing the reserves around in a match and you have to keep writing Wajtknecht in your programme.

I thought Grajczonek was difficult enough Edited by Shads

Do riders that come in on an assessed average such as jake and bwd have to stay on a five as a minimum and only changes if they go up,I've been told this but not sure if its correct does anyone know for definate ?

I rather thought the need to remain on five was for re-entry to the country, not domestic competition.

Meaning, as I see it, a newcomer on a 5 will see his average rise and fall as previously, but when he is coming back for the following season he will be reverted to the 5 (if he hasn't bettered it during the year).

Otherwise (perish the thought) such a rider, however inept, could be artificially kept in the 1-5, and a super-performong reserve could stay there, despite his average rising to (say) 4.99 in the early part of the season.