British Speedway Forum

Somerset 2016

If this was any other year, I'd totally agree, but they will be up against 14 other riders in the same boat, in fact probably more where teams have gone for two riders moving up from the NL, so to a degree their passage into the PL has been eased slightly in comparison to other years.

So having a rider who has previously done well in the recent NL averages should give their teams an advantage, especially if they have regularly beaten those who will riding for the other 14 teams. We know that often confidence plays a big part in a riders form, so having the knowledge that you can beat your opponents more often than not will surely help some of the more talented riders kick on in the PL

Very true - but if as expected it is Wilson Dean as the 'senior' reserve then he needs to at least hit assessed average and alot more for us to have a decent team in my opinion.

Personally I think Branford and Wilson dean were outclassed by Ellis but better than the rest in the nl 2015.

However in brads case I think he will do well to attain about 4.5 average which is Obv a drop on the starting figure.

Fair play to any side for having the balls to give him a go on a 5, he's a real trier mind

Zach w isn't far behind him and starts 2 points less, I think he will push his up

Wilson-Dean will have a reality check in the PL, its a massive step up from a weak NL, he will do ok but i don't expect him to get anywhere near a 5.00 average, look at Adam Ellis he hasn't achieved a 5.00 average in 2 years of trying in the PL, then there is riders like Ashley Morris and Stefan Nielsen who again can't achieve a 5.00 average in the PL and in my opinion are better riders than Wilson-Dean. Same can be said for Jake Allen if as rumoured he is going to Somerset, 2 very big gambles but if they aren't cutting it Garry May will just get rid like usual

• Like 1

Excuse me if I have missed something, be warned it happens regularly when you get to my age but why have we discounted Ollie Greenwood at reserve ???? As far as I am concerned I think the lad has unfinished work with us and I think he should be able to carry on and realise his potential. If I have missed something that prevents this please accept my apologies and please furnish me with the details. :oops:

Wilson-Dean will have a reality check in the PL, its a massive step up from a weak NL, he will do ok but i don't expect him to get anywhere near a 5.00 average, look at Adam Ellis he hasn't achieved a 5.00 average in 2 years of trying in the PL, then there is riders like Ashley Morris and Stefan Nielsen who again can't achieve a 5.00 average in the PL and in my opinion are better riders than Wilson-Dean. Same can be said for Jake Allen if as rumoured he is going to Somerset, 2 very big gambles but if they aren't cutting it Garry May will just get rid like usual

To be fair I think Adam first started in the PL when he was 16, he concentrated on the NL last year and did well in the U21's, I think he's gonna suprise a few people this year

Excuse me if I have missed something, be warned it happens regularly when you get to my age but why have we discounted Ollie Greenwood at reserve ???? As far as I am concerned I think the lad has unfinished work with us and I think he should be able to carry on and realise his potential. If I have missed something that prevents this please accept my apologies and please furnish me with the details. :oops:

Because he isn't as good as Zak Wajhisface, and doesn't have the potential to be.

Edited by Najjer
  • Like 2

That's the issue with BWD - being saddled with a 5pt average. Anyone signing him would have to be taking a long term view, that he will be integral to your team for a number of seasons. You are in theory giving away 2 points at the start of the season to all your competitors as all other NL riders are on a 3 point average.

Aspegren on the other hand is sub 5 and on his visits last season with Rye scored paid 8 from 4 (including a fall) and paid 16 from 7.

Depends if you want a short or long term view- naturally assuming either of those two are in the final 1-7!

Edited by Always a RACER

In fairness of BWD he should be starting on a 3.00. He stormed the national in his ever season here. I think he has way more potential than Ellis.

why should he be on a 3.00, he is from NZ and has not got a british passport, he shouldn't have been allowed to ride in the NL to start with

why should he be on a 3.00, he is from NZ and has not got a british passport, he shouldn't have been allowed to ride in the NL to start with

He doesn't need a UK passport to be allowed to ride NL..............

19.9.2.5 All Riders must hold a UK Passport or have UK Partiality.

He doesn't need a UK passport to be allowed to ride NL..............

19.9.2.5 All Riders must hold a UK Passport or have UK Partiality.

Exactly. He was legal to ride NL last year and ALL NL riders step up to the PL on a 3.00. This year is a different story as you need a British passport to ride NL, but BWD already has done so it just stops him in the future.

BWD is heading oop north with a good deal, I hope he can cut it in the PL, he's a nice kid, still rate Ellis above him any day

Ellis been around longer than Brad.... So Brad still can improve more than ellis