British Speedway Forum

Raiders 2016

No one likes RR but in this instance we would be incredibly weak without it..We also need a top guest to fill Branfords boots and i dont think the Somerset lad Zach is that yet ,,going on his performance in the National League riders championship last season.. ,,Bowen ,, Clegg or Hughes fit the bill much better

I completely agree in this instance but that is the way the Raiders team has been built this year an off night for Ben or Rob and your screwed.

If R/R was limited to twice at home & twice away it would give fringe riders more track time, limit the damage teams with stand out reserves could do & get the meeting actually flowing but still provide cover for when a last minute withdrawal occurs.

No one likes RR but in this instance we would be incredibly weak without it..We also need a top guest to fill Branfords boots and i dont think the Somerset lad Zach is that yet ,,going on his performance in the National League riders championship last season.. ,,Bowen ,, Clegg or Hughes fit the bill much better

Wajtknecht is better than his NLRC performance and the track has changed since then. I'm not saying he's necessarily the best option but he'll already be there and have had 3 or 4 races practice, whereas those you name will be busy with their own teams elsewhere as will other top riders with Belle Vue, Cradley, Eastbourne, Kent, Coventry & King's Lynn all riding on Monday.

Ok Alan did not realise those i mentioned would be riding elsewhere,,Zach has shown he is a better rider on the bigger tracks and needs to improve on the tighter circuits before he can be considered a No 1..Who knows he may well prove me wrong if he rides for us on monday ?

• Like 1

Ok Alan did not realise those i mentioned would be riding elsewhere,,Zach has shown he is a better rider on the bigger tracks and needs to improve on the tighter circuits before he can be considered a No 1..Who knows he may well prove me wrong if he rides for us on monday ?

Well we will find out because he's just been named as the guest on the Rye House website.

Agreed. I proposed a selection of names without any consideration of other meetings running. Pesky bank holidays confusing what day of the week it is.

Well we will find out because he's just been named as the guest on the Rye House website.

As a business decision its quite clever as there will be no travel expenses that need paying. Rye might get away with it as the Mildenhall heat leaders are solid but not spectacular but i suspect the damage will be done elsewhere.

Fingers crossed for good weather as im looking forward to the double header at Rye and checking out the stadium/track improvements.

Hope there's a back up plan should something happen to Wajtknecht or Morley in the first meeting. The heat leaders could both go through the card, even if they do, can the rest of the team score the other 18 points between them to pick up the win? Priest should be scoring eight at least from five rides, is there ten points in the other three? I doubt it honestly. Think Mildenhall can let Morley and Wajtknecht run riot and still walk away with the win. Priest's the key man, he'll have to be in double figures too if the Raiders are to stand a chance.

The rain on monday is now forcast for the morning clearing towards miday-early afternoon,,so hopefully baring a flood the meeting could be on,,Check before you leave home,, great afternoons racing in prospect... ...

Edited by waco

• 2 weeks later...

Good signing, i think he is a Rye House asset anyway,,will fit in well with the other lads ,,,Does that now mean Woods will drop to reserve when the injured lad returns,, or is it him who can not be fitted in on the points limit any one know ??

Edited by waco

Good signing, i think he is a Rye House asset anyway,,will fit in well with the other lads ,,,Does that now mean Woods will drop to reserve or is it him who can not be fitted in on the points limit any one know ??

From what i can see its a straight swap Hopwood for Branford with Morley moving up to number 1 and Hopwood slotting in at 5.

I suspect it will only be temporary until Branford comes over.

From the Brummies press release Banks comes in for Bowdrey at reserve so solves part of the issue with your long tail.......

Good to see Ben fixed up.

From what i can see its a straight swap Hopwood for Branford with Morley moving up to number 1 and Hopwood slotting in at 5.

I suspect it will only be temporary until Branford comes over.

From the Brummies press release Banks comes in for Bowdrey at reserve so solves part of the issue with your long tail.......

Did you see him last season at Perry Barr :P

• Like 1

Good signing, i think he is a Rye House asset anyway,,will fit in well with the other lads ,,,Does that now mean Woods will drop to reserve when the injured lad returns,, or is it him who can not be fitted in on the points limit any one know ??

Don't get the Woods signing during the winter. He's a 3 pointer and will stay a 3 pointer. His bike looks slow when he manages to stay on it. He's been around for a while, what is he, mid 20's?

I'd rather see a younger rider given a chance who's more likely to improve. Woods won't.

• Like 2

Even so, still probably a slightly better bet at Birmingham than Kenny Bowdery at this stage.

You'd like to think so but seeing as Bowdery announced that he'd signed for Birmingham during the winter I would've thought that he would be a better bet than Locke. That's simply if it's down to the team's choice.

I never get the obsession with age. By all means sign riders that will improve but not too young and when they are clearly not ready. It's not like clubs or riders are loyal anyway so it's unlikely a rider if any age will be around for more than a few seasons. Danny Ayres started in his late twenties for example and continues to improve. The issue with woods ( poor machinery aside) is that he has made no progression regardless of what ages he is.

Edited by Sings4Kings
  • Like 1

I never get the obsession with age. By all means sign riders that will improve but not too young and when they are clearly not ready. It's not like clubs or riders are loyal anyway so it's unlikely a rider if any age will be around for more than a few seasons. Danny Ayres started in his late twenties for example and continues to improve. The issue with woods ( poor machinery aside) is that he has made no progression regardless of what ages he is.

It's not the age so much, Woods has been around far longer than Ayres and yet Ayres is the guy riding PL now, you've either got it in you or you haven't in some cases I guess.

Seems a strange move to bring in Hopwood for what will be two meetings, i dont confess to know all the rules but if you have the highest average rider in the league cant you replace him with any available rider.

Is there also something about the cups meaning Rob would be prevented from riding on the sun 24th.

Junior